Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Are we a predatory club abusing the system?

Lol I think we’d rather stay in the premier league than bounce back and forth. It’s far more lucrative. It’d also be pretty hard to plan to do this every year. It’s not our fault specifically we have fallen into purgatory 

also, this guy owns Chelsea. Do I really need to say anymore? There’s probably pictures of him on Epsteins island with Bill Clinton and a 15 year old on his lap. Who cares what he thinks.

• Like 1

Chelsea had 21 players out on loan last season. Out of those I predict 3 at best will be Chelsea regulars. 5 won't ever play a league game for the first team. They just hoover up young talent and loan them back out at a premium. That's fairly predatory too I'd say.

Yes the parachute payments distort the system but they're a necessary evil when clubs like Chelsea have thrown money around and distorted the transfer market to make the gap between the premier league and the rest of football so vast. 

What he actually means is that the premier league want the parachute payments shared out amongst themselves!

• Like 6

Another little step toward making the EPL a closed shop - point the finger at the smaller clubs 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

. It’s far more lucrative

For players and agents, yes . Not really for the Club, every available penny is hoovered up . I doubt we ' make '  more money, just turn more over. 

This is the same Chelsea who have signed that Carney chap from Aston Villa for 20 million. A transfer that represents nearly everything bad about football. A player who can’t get in the Aston Villa team and wants first team football signs for Chelsea……in a couple of years he’ll be hawked to one of the other premier league teams for a similarly inflated fee so Chelsea can somehow comply with financial fair play.

• Like 1

The tweet is utter ****. None of the relegated clubs has done that this season, Burnley have lost a shedload of players but have hardly bought the best ones in the Champs.

The irony. We are the predatory ones, not a club that snatches talent from smaller clubs, hoards them in their academy/u23s and loans out 40 players a season. Or who spend £200m every summer using money they don’t have. 

• Like 7

Reading the words of this total hypocrite, I wish more and more that the European Super League had happened and we had said goodbye to the 'big six', on the proviso that it was made clear that if the ESL bombed, they could never, ever come back. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Reading the words of this total hypocrite, I wish more and more that the European Super League had happened and we had said goodbye to the 'big six', on the proviso that it was made clear that if the ESL bombed, they could never, ever come back. 

Yep, the ESL not happening is probably the worst thing to have happened to football in a while.

• Like 1

As others have said of course it's the smaller clubs.

We can't buy up championship top talent because the players are overpriced and at a premium.

Stupid comment from an ignorant person I would think. 

10 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Yep, the ESL not happening is probably the worst thing to have happened to football in a while.

Anyone know what NCFC's stance was on the ESL? I seem to recall some on here weren't OK with it as we were about to be promoted to the EPL and didn't want a diluted version with potentially less money coming in.

I'm not a fan of parachute payments, but the tweet is utter garbage really and smacks of well we don't want Norwich back.

No doubt the parachute payments could be tweaked. Heck, if the Premier League distributed wealth fairly and evenly there's a chance they might barely be needed in current form. 

The fact this is what the focus point is on kind of demonstrates how broken football is at the top level.

Especially when you realise that parachute payments are a necessity due to the level of greed in Premier League wages. 

• Like 2

Bahahahah the distorting effect of parachute payments?! Chelsea will spend close to £250m this window! How’s that for distorting the competitiveness of the league, buying up the best players of the premier league and elsewhere. F*ck right off. 

*Chris Morris voice* 

"One football club in Sheffield has been luring in youngsters, dressed as a school"

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Said at the time good riddance and good luck to them. 

They distorted everything when the came up with the EPPP and strong armed the EFL teams into taking it. Let's see how long it takes for the feeder club idea to resurface. 

7 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Said at the time good riddance and good luck to them. 

Yep, the big clubs are a cancer on football. Get rid and leave the rest of us to make it a sport again.

It isn't 'abuse' because why not take advantage of a system that is there?

A form of 'exploitation' albeit legitimate!

Let's face it, the bigger teams would like parachute payments to be eliminated because it would mean the entire bottom half of the Premier League would have to cut their wage bill to varying degrees in case the worst happens. That would mean weaker opposition for the big boys and easier pickings in the transfer market. 

This chap has just had his **** handed to him to the tune of 60 million by Brighton, pay him no heed. 

As everyone has said, total hypocrisy. Using parachute payments to attempt to compete against clubs with astronomical wealth in their backers. Clubs like Chelsea started the problem, clubs like ours are just using what’s there in the absence of a billionaire. 

Im in favour of getting rid of parachute payments, once they’ve introduced a salary cap, spend cap not linked to percentages, limit on squad size, draft system and basically all the other barriers that exist to true parity 

"They buy the best players in the Championship"

<Looks at our squad> 
<Looks at quote again>
<Looks at our squad again>

Ok, so, the only player we have on our books that is even remotely close to that description is Hanley, and only just as in we signed him after Newcastle had been promoted but before he'd kicked a ball in the Prem. That's it.

I would say Nottingham Forrest are buying up a fair few decent Championship players and it isn't cheap. Not sure how you can afford to do it on relegation! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chicken said:

"They buy the best players in the Championship"

<Looks at our squad> 
<Looks at quote again>
<Looks at our squad again>

Ok, so, the only player we have on our books that is even remotely close to that description is Hanley, and only just as in we signed him after Newcastle had been promoted but before he'd kicked a ball in the Prem. That's it.

I would say Nottingham Forrest are buying up a fair few decent Championship players and it isn't cheap. Not sure how you can afford to do it on relegation! 

Spot on, a misguided quote or yet another expert who actually knows absolutely nothing about us

7 minutes ago, AJ said:

Spot on, a misguided quote or yet another expert who actually knows absolutely nothing about us

Looking at his twitter feed, I am seriously bemused as to why anyone would employ him as a football correspondent. Lots of guff about very little. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chicken said:

Looking at his twitter feed, I am seriously bemused as to why anyone would employ him as a football correspondent. Lots of guff about very little. 

Doesn't that describe most trash paper journalists these days? We're lucky we have some decent journalists covering Norwich, especially Michael Bailey