Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Anyone else stressed?

2 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Thankyou, but honestly I didn't write it for sympathy or well wishes (as welcome as they are) I wrote it as it's Been a shïte morning and the opportunity to get it all out there to others instead of the dog (as the missus, my mum and even the brother in law are all at work) means it clears my own air slightly. Lol

Nothing wrong with venting. That's a lot to face!

3 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Thankyou, but honestly I didn't write it for sympathy or well wishes (as welcome as they are) I wrote it as it's Been a shïte morning and the opportunity to get it all out there to others instead of the dog (as the missus, my mum and even the brother in law are all at work) means it clears my own air slightly. Lol

Good luck. All of us at times need to unload our concerns and worries. Your story should also make most of realize what's really important in life - not petty arguments. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Vent away, you’re certainly entitled too! As Horse said we all feel for you and wish you the best…..I’ve been through supporting three members of my direct family through various cancers and it’s a horrendous battle. You’re company is totally out order and that’s the sad thing, today’s society companies only see their staff as a number, replaceable if deemed so.

I will just say, all three of my family members have found a new focus strength and gone on to do far better things, it certainly galvanised their focus. So good luck and I hope you get the courage to say **** you to your company and go get something better you deserve as you’ve just gone through a far bigger battle.

Stay positive and use the support of those close to you….💚💛

• Like 1

On 08/08/2022 at 08:31, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Thankyou, and I am truly very sorry to hear that 😔

Wishing you good luck with your recovery, I had bladder cancer and have recovered gradually, but it changes your life forever. Your ermployer must have had a heart bypass to not realise what you are up against, what a sod. take care and get better soon.

• Thanks 1

On 08/08/2022 at 10:31, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Thankyou, and I am truly very sorry to hear that 😔

What an awful story. As far as your employers are concerned, have you spoken to anyone at Marie Curie/McMillan or any other of the support organisations regarding the legal situation with your employers, as other than being pretty cold, dismissal on the grounds of an illness as serious as that sounds pretty questionable. I'm sure they'd be happy to give you some free advice for starters as to whether you can pursue anything. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

What an awful story. As far as your employers are concerned, have you spoken to anyone at Marie Curie/McMillan or any other of the support organisations regarding the legal situation with your employers, as other than being pretty cold, dismissal on the grounds of an illness as serious as that sounds pretty questionable. I'm sure they'd be happy to give you some free advice for starters as to whether you can pursue anything. 

I'm actually waiting for a call from someone that I was passed onto by the ptsd therapist about my legal standing with my employment etc. So fingers crossed I'll have more concrete knowledge of where I stand legally and what my options are. 

• Like 4

On 05/08/2022 at 22:07, Midlands Yellow said:

I really don’t give a ****, what you can’t control don’t worry about. Being fertilised was our first unlucky experience. 

Reminds me of when I quipped as a FB status:

"Life, the sexually-transmitted disease with a 100% fatality rate!"

• Haha 2

On 18/08/2022 at 18:29, TheGunnShow said:

Reminds me of when I quipped as a FB status:

"Life, the sexually-transmitted disease with a 100% fatality rate!"

Never a truer word spoken in Jest.

On 05/08/2022 at 17:08, Herman said:

I am currently 4/5ths of the way through a house sale so I am a bit worried that it may go bosom up at the last minute. Also the fact that I will have to rent for a few months also worries me in the sense of how much money I will have to pay just to exist.

'Sake. I've been sat around an emptyish house for months waiting for a moving date. I finally get a moving date and it's next week. No notice or decent time to look for somewhere, 10 bloody days. ****ing idiots.

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, Herman said:

'Sake. I've been sat around an emptyish house for months waiting for a moving date. I finally get a moving date and it's next week. No notice or decent time to look for somewhere, 10 bloody days. ****ing idiots.

Can totally relate. I've just moved 80 miles. Trying to buy from a distance in this market was nuts, houses going 3 hours after being put on the market etc. I decided to rent for a bit until I find somewhere to buy.

Rental market was crazy too and had to take somewhere having never seen it, with one picture of the outside online because when I emailed about a viewing, they'd had 15 people express interest between 7pm when it went online and 9am when the estate agents opened and every other house I enquired about had waiting lists of 30 people to view it or had already gone. Have been in to see it now and it's nice, it was the right gamble but utterly mental to have to do that.

Was meant to be available August. Started work at new job on August 31st. Guy before me was out on 31st of aug but was happy to leave early to allow me in early. Estate agent refused to play ball with that. They then won't let me in until the "pre-let works" are complete, and they cant check what needs doing until after he has left apparently. These works are essentially changing a few light bulbs and putting polyfilla in a few nail holes. The estate agent still hasn't even booked a contractor or got a date for these to be completed and won't give me a move in date until they are.

Very fortunate that I've moved back to somewhere I used to live and have friends round here, including one who was happy to put me up until its sorted.

So I've started a new job 2 weeks ago, and despite having a house sorted since July which I should have been able to move into before the end of August, I'm currently living in a mates 6 x 8 ft bedroom and storing all my stuff in their garage because a few lightbulbs need changing, indefinitely with no end date even in sight.

Edited by kick it off
  • Thanks 1

Driving over to Switzerland tomorrow, going by Eurotunnel, overnight in Reims.

I'm not getting any younger, and I haven't been anywhere for 3 years, wife is packing the kitchen sink and her priorities are very different to mine.

So yes, I'm stressed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kick it off said:

Can totally relate. I've just moved 80 miles. Trying to buy from a distance in this market was nuts, houses going 3 hours after being put on the market etc. I decided to rent for a bit until I find somewhere to buy.

Rental market was crazy too and had to take somewhere having never seen it, with one picture of the outside online because when I emailed about a viewing, they'd had 15 people express interest between 7pm when it went online and 9am when the estate agents opened and every other house I enquired about had waiting lists of 30 people to view it or had already gone. Have been in to see it now and it's nice, it was the right gamble but utterly mental to have to do that.

Was meant to be available August. Started work at new job on August 31st. Guy before me was out on 31st of aug but was happy to leave early to allow me in early. Estate agent refused to play ball with that. They then won't let me in until the "pre-let works" are complete, and they cant check what needs doing until after he has left apparently. These works are essentially changing a few light bulbs and putting polyfilla in a few nail holes. The estate agent still hasn't even booked a contractor or got a date for these to be completed and won't give me a move in date until they are.

Very fortunate that I've moved back to somewhere I used to live and have friends round here, including one who was happy to put me up until its sorted.

So I've started a new job 2 weeks ago, and despite having a house sorted since July which I should have been able to move into before the end of August, I'm currently living in a mates 6 x 8 ft bedroom and storing all my stuff in their garage because a few lightbulbs need changing, indefinitely with no end date even in sight.

Wow 🥺

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Driving over to Switzerland tomorrow, going by Eurotunnel, overnight in Reims.

I'm not getting any younger, and I haven't been anywhere for 3 years, wife is packing the kitchen sink and her priorities are very different to mine.

So yes, I'm stressed.

Godspeed WoaS🙂 ...that will be some trip to avoid the state funeral ... knowing how keenly you've been following events 😅

• Haha 2

On 13/09/2022 at 07:14, kick it off said:

Got a move in date finally!

Moving in on Friday so have now been able to empty my bank account buying furniture etc (ex had everything when we split). Really excited to start a new era now 🙂

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Moving in on Friday so have now been able to empty my bank account buying furniture etc (ex had everything when we split). Really excited to start a new era now 🙂

Nice one. It sounds like you've had a bit of a **** of a year so glad that it's getting a little bit sorted out.

• Like 1

On 05/08/2022 at 17:18, Herman said:

Oh, I'm going to get stung for rent around here, that's for sure Indy.😥

2 bed terrace house near me in Mulbarton has just gone on the market at £950!  You couldn't swing a cat in the 2nd bedroom or the kitchen. 

The sooner we move to the German private rent model the better. We have completely shafted a generation.

I'm in the same position as @keelansgrandad

I'm sheltered from it but feel for those who aren't including my children. 

Bar Russia we have the poorest economic performance of the G20 but the BBC aren't allowed to mention that because someone might use the B word. And we now have a PM who was an ardent Remainer but tells us that having considered the facts she now thinks she was wrong. Oh dear.... 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

2 bed terrace house near me in Mulbarton has just gone on the market at £950!  You couldn't swing a cat in the 2nd bedroom or the kitchen. 

The sooner we move to the German private rent model the better. We have completely shafted a generation.

I'm in the same position as @keelansgrandad

I'm sheltered from it but feel for those who aren't including my children. 

Bar Russia we have the poorest economic performance of the G20 but the BBC aren't allowed to mention that because someone might use the B word. And we now have a PM who was an ardent Remainer but tells us that having considered the facts she now thinks she was wrong. Oh dear.... 

£950 would just about get me a one bedroom new build down in this part of Herts. £1200 is about average for a 2 bed. Being a commuter town there's this common misconception that everyone in the area is on a really good, London wage. And all the houses/flats being built, of which there are hundreds recently, are all aimed at dragging the people from out of the city to here, rather than helping the local population.

Basically the housing market is screwed and until we address it, the future for upcoming generations is going to be really hard.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

£950 would just about get me a one bedroom new build down in this part of Herts. £1200 is about average for a 2 bed. Being a commuter town there's this common misconception that everyone in the area is on a really good, London wage. And all the houses/flats being built, of which there are hundreds recently, are all aimed at dragging the people from out of the city to here, rather than helping the local population.

Basically the housing market is screwed and until we address it, the future for upcoming generations is going to be really hard.

I have a German friend who recently inherited a lovely large 3 bed flat in the centre of Dussledorf. The rent is €450 a month. She has to attend 2 meetings a year with the tenant and there are strict rules on maintenance standards. Unless the tenant does something wrong it's very difficult to evict them. 

The contrast with this country is extraordinary and the model here doesn't help the economy. The tenant for the house near me will be paying around £400 a month more than is reasonable. That's £400 that would otherwise be spent, supporting UK business and producing VAT receipts for the Government. I've got no objection to people investing and making money but not with buy to let. It's damaging the economy and the people who are caught up in it have no long term security. And because they pay so much rent they don't have the lifestyle that they deserve. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I have a German friend who recently inherited a lovely large 3 bed flat in the centre of Dussledorf. The rent is €450 a month. She has to attend 2 meetings a year with the tenant and there are strict rules on maintenance standards. Unless the tenant does something wrong it's very difficult to evict them. 

The contrast with this country is extraordinary and the model here doesn't help the economy. The tenant for the house near me will be paying around £400 a month more than is reasonable. That's £400 that would otherwise be spent, supporting UK business and producing VAT receipts for the Government. I've got no objection to people investing and making money but not with buy to let. It's damaging the economy and the people who are caught up in it have no long term security. And because they pay so much rent they don't have the lifestyle that they deserve. 

Commie 😜

23 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Completely privatising the housing market, selling off all the council and social housing etc is going to be a very long term disaster. It was good for my parents, my generation benefitted from the trickle down of it but those coming up behind me are going to have a hard time.

As you say, if someone is keeping all their money for an ever increasing deposit on an overpriced flat, or spending a massive percentage of their wages just to pay rent how will the overall economy benefit. And people's mental health.

• Thanks 1

Best read I've come across in 2022. Warning: it's fairly long.

It explores some of our conflicts, the Brexit debate, nationalism, corporate wealth, globalism and so on. And gives a new perspective on our alienation.

Read this a few times now. Recommended for anyone really. Well done to the author on such a thoughtful piece.

https://unherd.com/2022/09/the-queen-leaves-behind-a-wasteland/?tl_inbound=1&tl_groups[0]=18743&tl_period_type=3&mc_cid=9de4c1b038&mc_eid=e03e67d9b3

I just avoid all this sh*t now and simply tell the better half to turn the TV off when I get back. She’s often home from work before me and has the news on and I always switch it off whenever I come in.

All we do is one shower a day being in the mornings before work and one meal a day. We no longer go to any pubs and the regulars down the local circuits are idiots anyway and we won’t be going out on Christmas or New Years, which was all decided before we both sat down and realised that they’re idiots. Some of them even joined the most famous queue in the world right now.

10 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Bloody hell, Düsseldorf is a pricey old spot as well.

Blimey, house moving is a pain in the aris and I'm not even applying for a mortgage, so that must be doubly stressful. Just trying to put down a deposit and get a fraud warning from the bank. Then spend two hours on the phone waiting to explain what I am doing.

The reason for the draconian Rental Laws in the UK favouring the landlord, is so you can evict the Tenant from Hell! Believe me being phoned up at 02:00 in the morning by an irate neighbour to a leasehold property, saying they are calling the Police does focus the mind. True the German rental laws favour the tenant but when I was renting near Trier, there was a guy who practically ruined an apartment a few doors down - blacked out the windows, turned it into a drugs den and played loud Techno music all night. Needless to say it was me who had to relocate!

On 17/09/2022 at 14:45, kick it off said:

Finally made it into the house last fri. Bed frame didn't turn up and wardrobe is like trying to solve some kind of cryptogram puzzle but in the house and getting sorted now. Finally starting to be able to relax a bit 😊

• Like 1