Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Anyone else stressed?

I'm finding every time I'm looking at the headlines about the economy, fuel prices, inflation etc etc that it is increasingly difficult not to get stressed and panicky about whats ahead.

I'm in a relatively well paid job and own my house which gives me some sense of security so I can only imagine how tough it must be for people who have less.

• Like 5

I get angry about these things but not stressed. But as a Pensioner with a mortgage long gone and no loans etc, I get angry for others like my family. The current generations seem to being having far more flux than most other generations now living. Of course there were World Wars but nowadays, you don't know what you will wake up to.

It’s unfortunate that in the days of global challenges which needed a United front, it appears that humanity would rather fight themselves than work for a better future.

As you guys I’ve set myself up, but money only goes so far, with hip shooting America telling everyone what they can and can’t do! A Russian madman who sees only what he wants and surrounded himself with suicidal old school yes men! China now wanting to have their province of Taiwan back and our own country with the weakest forecast of any G7 nation looking like a two year recession possibly depression if inflation isn’t curbed quickly as less spending will mean more job losses, less coming into the government coffers…….. hard cycle to break, yes it’s a really worrying world, then the biggest threat which not many appear to accept, global warming!

But none of this is as worrying as Sargent on the right!😉💛💚

Live life to the fullest, love to the maximum, care with a full heart, as we have little control of what’s coming, death is certain!

Edited by Indy
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

It’s unfortunate that in the days of global challenges which needed a United front, it appears that humanity would rather fight themselves than work for a better future.

As you guys I’ve set myself up, but money only goes so far, with hip shooting America telling everyone what they can and can’t do! A Russian madman who sees only what he wants and surrounded himself with suicidal old school yes men! China now wanting to have their province of Taiwan back and our own country with the weakest forecast of any G7 nation looking like a two year recession possibly depression if inflation isn’t curbed quickly as less spending will mean more jobs losses…..yes it’s a really worrying world, then the biggest threat which not many appear to accept, global warming!

But none of this is as worrying as Sargent on the right!😉💛💚

Live life to the fullest, love to the maximum, care with a full heart, as we have little control of what’s coming, death is certain!

Drink is probably the answer

Just now, Van wink said:

It certainly helps in moderation…..Friday Gin nights are very popular in our household. We tend not to drink the rest of the week……

To be honest Kingo is correct, Pre Covid we had Brexit which was all we worried about, but now Brexit is like a mild itch compared to the woe’s going on!

I’ve taken up walking footy now just trying to do more things each night to keep my sanity! 😂👍

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

It certainly helps in moderation…..Friday Gin nights are very popular in our household. We tend not to drink the rest of the week……

To be honest Kingo is correct, Pre Covid we had Brexit which was all we worried about, but now Brexit is like a mild itch compared to the woe’s going on!

I’ve taken up walking footy now just trying to do more things each night to keep my sanity! 😂👍

I applaud your abstinence!!  These are indeed very worrying times, grew up with the threat of nuclear oblivion, hole in the ozone layer, fears the world would run out of oil ( that was a good one ), lived through the three day week, financial crash, etc etc, we will all survive and come out the other side. I fear as a population and society we have lost a lot of resilience, we have maybe lost touch with the harsh realities of the human condition. 

Just now, Van wink said:

I applaud your abstinence!!  These are indeed very worrying times, grew up with the threat of nuclear oblivion, hole in the ozone layer, fears the world would run out of oil ( that was a good one ), lived through the three day week, financial crash, etc etc, we will all survive and come out the other side. I fear as a population and society we have lost a lot of resilience, we have maybe lost touch with the harsh realities of the human condition. 

Indeed! And now we can go through it all again! Still it’s Friday so 🍻 let’s hope for a great performance and three points tomorrow.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Van wink said:

And by a happy coincidence today is international beer day!!

• Like 2

I am currently 4/5ths of the way through a house sale so I am a bit worried that it may go bosom up at the last minute. Also the fact that I will have to rent for a few months also worries me in the sense of how much money I will have to pay just to exist.

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

I am currently 4/5ths of the way through a house sale so I am a bit worried that it may go bosom up at the last minute. Also the fact that I will have to rent for a few months also worries me in the sense of how much money I will have to pay just to exist.

Mate, that’s one of the most stressful things in life without all the other ****e! Hope things go smoothly and you don’t get stung renting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I'm going to get stung for rent around here, that's for sure Indy.😥

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

I don't envy you. Buying my house was the most stressful thing I ever did. I hated it and vowed I'd never do it again! Hope it all works out ok.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, king canary said:

I'm finding every time I'm looking at the headlines about the economy, fuel prices, inflation etc etc that it is increasingly difficult not to get stressed and panicky about whats ahead.

I'm in a relatively well paid job and own my house which gives me some sense of security so I can only imagine how tough it must be for people who have less.

Someone just stole my African Safari hat that my dead mum bought me; the prospect of the world burning is mitigated by the fact that a lot of people deserve to burn. 

20 hours ago, king canary said:

In truth, I find it very stressing and depressing the way the world is going. Overall, if you look at most of the driving forces to World War 1, we're experiencing them now, only with the added bonus of climate change. 

I just thank my lucky stars I was born into the developed world instead of somewhere like Africa and the Middle East. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 2

I'm very fortunate. Some of it was good luck in bad luck, some of it was prudent decision-making, some of it was a natural propensity (or indeed reluctance) to take on anything resembling debt. But I have no rent, no mortgage, and own my place outright. Deliberately never learned to drive as I never wanted repayments on that sort of thing (nor did I want the cost of putting fuel in it or insuring it).

Deliberately not getting married (I agree with the Einstein quote that it's merely a form of slavery rendered civilised) and being fiercely childfree adds to it. I'm almost watching what's happening with a grin.

On 06/08/2022 at 11:02, littleyellowbirdie said:

In truth, I find it very stressing and depressing the way the world is going. Overall, if you look at most of the driving forces to World War 1, we're experiencing them now, only with the added bonus of climate change. 

I just thank my lucky stars I was born into the developed world instead of somewhere like Africa and the Middle East. 

Everything is heading the wrong way, Climate, habitat destruction, species annihilation, geopolitical instability, nuclear expansion, political credibility and leadership in democracies, hardening public attitudes towards horrendous abuse due to over exposure on the media and the internet, global inequality rising and becoming more obvious…. Let’s face it we have had it. I wonder in awe at those who lead the fight against what is happening. But it’s sadly a losing battle.

• Like 2

That is some depressing list VW. Maybe there have been moments or islands of hope in the world in recent years - such as scientific breakthroughs in health, new technologies that have helped people live better - those kinds of things. But you can't help feeling the ecology of the planet feels doomed and with it the capitalism that goes alongside - the using up more resources. Any so-called economic growth has to be considered in this context. Agree with LYB about the developed v the less developed world. You can feel privileged at times and guilt. Some of our problems and worries are first world ones when you reflect.

My approach and belief is that we can try to do our best locally, where we live. To help those who don't have such life chances, to donate our time and even money (we've been paying a direct debit to a nationwide food bank for years for example). It's small stuff though isn't it? It's not saving the world. But it is like the starfish story - if you know it?

I was reading the other day that one thing we can all do is to speak to a stranger / someone we don't know every day (reference: Sandstrom). A pleasant interaction. That sounds daft but apparently it's a powerful thing. It makes the person feel they are important and improves their trust in other people. A kind of goodwill if you like. In my years as a counsellor I know just how powerful words can be (and how amazing witnessing and listening is). 

So, no world solutions, but just an idea of how we can be of use with those nearest us.

I think that's why in some communities (thinking of my Welsh ancestors here 😉) there is a strong community spirit and resilience in times of economic struggle. I've seen it in local community centres up here where I live. There are a lot of folk doing their best for others.

To relate all my spouting here to football, it's why football matters - a communal / tribal thing we can share. And it's why I hate fans having a go at other fans. We can't always win matches and have good times. I think as Ricardo often says, we've had plenty of lean times....My son started supporting us in 2004 after I took him  to his first ever match by train at Everton in the cup (he was 7 years plus) and since then he has seen real drama! Not a boring moment for him. It has provided an interest and I dare say, a distraction at times. We certainly need some distractions these days. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sonyc said:

That is some depressing list VW. Maybe there have been moments or islands of hope in the world in recent years - such as scientific breakthroughs in health, new technologies that have helped people live better - those kinds of things. But you can't help feeling the ecology of the planet feels doomed and with it the capitalism that goes alongside - the using up more resources. Any so-called economic growth has to be considered in this context. Agree with LYB about the developed v the less developed world. You can feel privileged at times and guilt. Some of our problems and worries are first world ones when you reflect.

My approach and belief is that we can try to do our best locally, where we live. To help those who don't have such life chances, to donate our time and even money (we've been paying a direct debit to a nationwide food bank for years for example). It's small stuff though isn't it? It's not saving the world. But it is like the starfish story - if you know it?

I was reading the other day that one thing we can all do is to speak to a stranger / someone we don't know every day (reference: Sandstrom). A pleasant interaction. That sounds daft but apparently it's a powerful thing. It makes the person feel they are important and improves their trust in other people. A kind of goodwill if you like. In my years as a counsellor I know just how powerful words can be (and how amazing witnessing and listening is). 

So, no world solutions, but just an idea of how we can be of use with those nearest us.

I think that's why in some communities (thinking of my Welsh ancestors here 😉) there is a strong community spirit and resilience in times of economic struggle. I've seen it in local community centres up here where I live. There are a lot of folk doing their best for others.

To relate all my spouting here to football, it's why football matters - a communal / tribal thing we can share. And it's why I hate fans having a go at other fans. We can't always win matches and have good times. I think as Ricardo often says, we've had plenty of lean times....My son started supporting us in 2004 after I took him  to his first ever match by train at Everton in the cup (he was 7 years plus) and since then he has seen real drama! Not a boring moment for him. It has provided an interest and I dare say, a distraction at times. We certainly need some distractions these days. 

Looking back at the big picture, human population is set to crash dramatically in the developed world due to falling birth rates, which will reduce the strain on the planet naturally. There will inevitably be parts of the world which will remain survivable, so our civilisation may collapse, but humanity will continue one way or the other and a new civilisation will emerge, likely quite quickly given the survivors are unlikely to go back to the stone age technologically. 

On 05/08/2022 at 16:22, Van wink said:

Ar$e! fe<k! Gob$hite! Girls!

Dat would be an ecumenical question ...

Edited by ron obvious
  • Haha 1

Stressed? Abso**inglutely. But not for the reasons stated in the OP but for the company I work for heaping it on me in the last week......... (Sorry in advance this is going to be abit of a story but I feel the need to get it out this morning, having a bad one) 

I'll start by revealing I'm only 28, 29 in a months time. 

Last September I was diagnosed with stage 2 testicular cancer, that had also spread to my abdominal lynph nodes, and 2 weeks later was also told I can't have children (they believe the tumor had caused this) but both of these revelations in such a short space of time caused a mild melt down mentally. 

Anyway naturally told my area manager that I'd be taking the time off sick etc. (Bare in mind that in 4 years I've had one day off sick and a week off for my grandads passing as he was more like my dad as mine fücked off when I was 2 and only taken 3 weeks worth of holidays too) 

So I started 4 rounds of chemotherapy at the start of November last year through to end of February this year, to then be told my my onchologist doctor at the n&n that I was being sent to addenbrooks to have double surgery as they couldn't do the abdominal lynph node removal at the n&n. 

This was a shock as I was only aware of the surgery to remove the testicle but not the other, anyway I had my second melt down and even went to the point of sorting a will out believing I wasn't going to make it through the major surgery. 

I obviously did make it, (only one minor problem with it that they cut a nerve in my groin and now have no feeling in the top part of my left leg but I'll take that to still be alive) but 10 days later they took the staples out at the n&n and within an hour I was sat in a&e with a open surgical wound that had re opened from my nipple down to about an inch bellow my belly button, I was bleeding and could see my own muscles as the dressings fell off with the blood, (sorry to anyone having breakfast) I was eventually seen in majors after an hour of sitting there bleeding and thinking I was going to die, after my missus kicked off in there. 

It was sorted out packed and dressed again and I was sent on my way (with also being told if I see my bowel or intestines start popping out of the wound to get a Luke warm wet towel, wrap them up and go back up to a&e)  only to be back up the n&n in sdec a week later bleeding heavily from the wound again and again thinking I was going to die, and was told I may have to have further surgery as they thought where I'd been sown back up inside had come open and that's why I was bleeding again, luckily I hadn't and it was just blood from the side of the wound where the blood vessels were weak, again packed dressed and sent home. 

I've had nightmares continuously about all of that since. 

Now the wound has been healing great and it's finally grown up to be level with the rest of my abdomen and the skin has started forming, fantastic I thought we're going to get back to some form or normality (apart from seeing a PTSD therapist and being monitored with scans for the next 10 years, waiting for the first one to see if I'm all clear) until a week ago (and this is where the latest lot of stess comes from)

my work has been in contact to 'let me know' that they're now reviewing me to see if I'm viable to keep employed as I've had  "substantial time off sick" now and they "expected me to have returned by now"  even though I've been in communication with my area manager throughout all of this and they know everything that's happened. It's not like I've been off with a broken bone or bad back or something, I've had a life threatening illness and life threatening surgery. 

All this came about as I put my latest sick note in and a day later I received the phone call. 

It's not costing them anything as they aren't paying me company sick pay, I was on SSP but as that's shocking and also runs out after a while it wasn't a major help, luckily I have/had some decent savings to fall back on and my missus has a decent job and pay so we've managed, but the prospect of losing my job and having to deal with that and/or looking for a new one after dealing with everything else in the last year.... Yes, yes I'm stressed. 

(Also having to give up my season ticket because of all this hasn't helped, lost my one escape from life) 

• Sad 5

5 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Stressed? Abso**inglutely. But not for the reasons stated in the OP but for the company I work for heaping it on me in the last week......... (Sorry in advance this is going to be abit of a story but I feel the need to get it out this morning, having a bad one) 

I'll start by revealing I'm only 28, 29 in a months time. 

Last September I was diagnosed with stage 2 testicular cancer, that had also spread to my abdominal lynph nodes, and 2 weeks later was also told I can't have children (they believe the tumor had caused this) but both of these revelations in such a short space of time caused a mild melt down mentally. 

Anyway naturally told my area manager that I'd be taking the time off sick etc. (Bare in mind that in 4 years I've had one day off sick and a week off for my grandads passing as he was more like my dad as mine fücked off when I was 2 and only taken 3 weeks worth of holidays too) 

So I started 4 rounds of chemotherapy at the start of November last year through to end of February this year, to then be told my my onchologist doctor at the n&n that I was being sent to addenbrooks to have double surgery as they couldn't do the abdominal lynph node removal at the n&n. 

This was a shock as I was only aware of the surgery to remove the testicle but not the other, anyway I had my second melt down and even went to the point of sorting a will out believing I wasn't going to make it through the major surgery. 

I obviously did make it, (only one minor problem with it that they cut a nerve in my groin and now have no feeling in the top part of my left leg but I'll take that to still be alive) but 10 days later they took the staples out at the n&n and within an hour I was sat in a&e with a open surgical wound that had re opened from my nipple down to about an inch bellow my belly button, I was bleeding and could see my own muscles as the dressings fell off with the blood, (sorry to anyone having breakfast) I was eventually seen in majors after an hour of sitting there bleeding and thinking I was going to die, after my missus kicked off in there. 

It was sorted out packed and dressed again and I was sent on my way (with also being told if I see my bowel or intestines start popping out of the wound to get a Luke warm wet towel, wrap them up and go back up to a&e)  only to be back up the n&n in sdec a week later bleeding heavily from the wound again and again thinking I was going to die, and was told I may have to have further surgery as they thought where I'd been sown back up inside had come open and that's why I was bleeding again, luckily I hadn't and it was just blood from the side of the wound where the blood vessels were weak, again packed dressed and sent home. 

I've had nightmares continuously about all of that since. 

Now the wound has been healing great and it's finally grown up to be level with the rest of my abdomen and the skin has started forming, fantastic I thought we're going to get back to some form or normality (apart from seeing a PTSD therapist and being monitored with scans for the next 10 years, waiting for the first one to see if I'm all clear) until a week ago (and this is where the latest lot of stess comes from)

my work has been in contact to 'let me know' that they're now reviewing me to see if I'm viable to keep employed as I've had  "substantial time off sick" now and they "expected me to have returned by now"  even though I've been in communication with my area manager throughout all of this and they know everything that's happened. It's not like I've been off with a broken bone or bad back or something, I've had a life threatening illness and life threatening surgery. 

All this came about as I put my latest sick note in and a day later I received the phone call. 

It's not costing them anything as they aren't paying me company sick pay, I was on SSP but as that's shocking and also runs out after a while it wasn't a major help, luckily I have/had some decent savings to fall back on and my missus has a decent job and pay so we've managed, but the prospect of losing my job and having to deal with that and/or looking for a new one after dealing with everything else in the last year.... Yes, yes I'm stressed. 

(Also having to give up my season ticket because of all this hasn't helped, lost my one escape from life) 

Jesus! That's horrendous mate! I'm sure everyone on this site wishes you all the very best for your recovery. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Jesus! That's horrendous mate! I'm sure everyone on this site wishes you all the very best for your recovery. 

Thankyou, but honestly I didn't write it for sympathy or well wishes (as welcome as they are) I wrote it as it's Been a shïte morning and the opportunity to get it all out there to others instead of the dog (as the missus, my mum and even the brother in law are all at work) means it clears my own air slightly. Lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Thankyou, but honestly I didn't write it for sympathy or well wishes (as welcome as they are) I wrote it as it's Been a shïte morning and the opportunity to get it all out there to others instead of the dog (as the missus, my mum and even the brother in law are all at work) means it clears my own air slightly. Lol

Indeed! You're quite right to let loose if that helps (which it almost invariably does). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Hell Godly...that is some ordeal you've been through. Thanks for sharing it too. What a b4stard employer! Only takes one person in the wrong position to make life difficult.

Let's hope, like your health, that work pulls through too (seems very much like another battle) and once you're back you can have some proper  time to find some new better employers too. 

You've got some family behind you but I'm sure also a whole load of Pinkun family here wishing you the best. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Best wishes Godly

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I appreciate you didn't write it for sympathy and well wishes but you're getting both from me I'm afraid. I've spent the last 6 months watching my partner's mum fight and ultimately lose against a really aggressive cancer so you have nothing but my absolute best wishes, and I hope you get some good news soon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I appreciate you didn't write it for sympathy and well wishes but you're getting both from me I'm afraid. I've spent the last 6 months watching my partner's mum fight and ultimately lose against a really aggressive cancer so you have nothing but my absolute best wishes, and I hope you get some good news soon.

Thankyou, and I am truly very sorry to hear that 😔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fecking hell mate, you've really been. through it. I'm glad you're progressing in your recovery and I wish you all the very best.

As for your employees. F*ck them, what a bunch of arseholes. Is there a specialist employment solicitor you could seek advice from. Not that you need the extra hassle and probably wouldn't go back to working for those w@nkers. Sounds like the impersonal trick a big company would pull, rather than a smaller family firm.

Best of luck with it all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

There is something cathartic/therapeutic about writing these things down and putting them out there for sure.

Best of luck to you- sounds like you've been through hell recently. Oh and **** your employers.

• Like 1