TeemuVanBasten

Most over rated Norwich players in modern times?

Liked Safri but always thought he was held in higher regard than his talent merited.

Maybe this was simply because he wasnt Gary Holt.

Bradley Johnson.

Could smash a ball and put himself about well but his passing was pretty atrocious and was extremely one-paced. We got a really decent fee for him from Derby and he wasn't cut out for the Prem but still lots of people wished we hadn't sold him or thought his sale signalled a lack of "ambition" - despite his career being on a clear downward trajectory since leaving.

I guess scoring an absolute thunderb*stard against the binners really does hide a multitude of sins..

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

So many - Gilmour, Naismith, RVW, Fer, Godfrey, Lewis, Redmond, Snodgrass and many more.

In the current team - Krul, Aarons, Rashica and Cantwell. Probably more.

1 hour ago, rock bus said:

Controversial one from me.... Ben Godfrey!

Has everything which looks perfect for the modern centre back - athletic, quick, good touch and can pick a pass BUT I honestly dont think he is that good a defender! Mainly because his reading of the game is so awful.

Often commended by fans for the way he chased back to make tackles or made last minute blocks BUT that was usually because he had either made a mistake, given the ball away or was out of position in the first place!

(I also think Jamal Lewis was just a decent championship full back at best!)

100% agree. Athlete with football boots on. No ability whatsoever. Omabamidele is so so so much better its untrue. He is the real deal.

Edited by Worthy Nigelton

Did anyone really rate Gilmour? We had high expectations and he failed to meet them.

Bradley Johnson is not a bad shout he had one blockbuster season after a few meh ones and left on a high.

To be honest it is hard to make judgement these days with two of the best seasons ever both followed by two of the worst. 

2 hours ago, TheRock said:

Earnshaw, Lappin, Snodgrass, Becchio, Naismith, Mulumbu, Cantwell.

Take your pick 😂

I'll pick Cantwell.  His temperament is his biggest problem and it overshadows his skills, and hurts the team.   That makes him unreliable, imo

47 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

100% agree. Athlete with football boots on. No ability whatsoever. Omabamidele is so so so much better its untrue. He is the real deal.

Never forget when Godfrey got to play for England his first ever time on the ball for England was him panacing and almost passing the ball into the net for an own goal

• Haha 1

Gilmour and Naismith. Wouldn’t add RvW to the list as there’s a lot of belief now that Hughton’s defensive style of play just didn’t suit him, and would have done great for Farke

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Gilmour and Naismith. Wouldn’t add RvW to the list as there’s a lot of belief now that Hughton’s defensive style of play just didn’t suit him, and would have done great for Farke

added to the fact the selfish **** Snodgrass, took the ball off him for a penalty and then contrived to miss.

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Ben is s the living example of the expression ' throws good shapes'.  Little real footballing talent though. We robbed Everton. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, overthebordercanary said:

Gary Hooper would be my pick for someone who flattered to deceive.

Agree , tap in merchant ,not even great at that, little use elsewhere in the pitch. 

1 hour ago, HazzaJet said:

Let's get him back then.... Oh , hang on . 

Let's get them both back then.

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Peter Thorne is right up there surely ?

Good call. I was thinking Mike Sheron as another. Thought we were getting a great striker but it never happened. Like Cottee...maybe just a couple of years past his best 😅

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'll start with Moritz Leitner.

Very rarely played a key pass, or assisted, or scored, couldn't tackle which meant that he couldn't even really do the sitting deep and spreading the play about thing either, and despite his impressive passing statistics, those achieved by almost always playing the 10 yard easy pass. Pound shop Phil Mulryne, or Phil Mulryne once he grew the beer belly.

Never did understand the fuss, and always looked like a t*t when he rolled his shorts up to receive a pass only to pass it straight back to the person who gave him the ball.

Who else?

Leitner was probably our most gifted midfielder at the time; unfortunately he had a bit of an attitude problem 

I would probably go with Jacob Sorensen 

The thread is about the most over rated, not the worst. Controversially I will name Wes. great player at times but not the messiah a lot of fans make him out to be. The fact he stayed with us for so long and was not snapped up by a team higher up the food chain reflects this I think.

• Confused 1

I guess I have several answers depending on over rated by who, and what is classed by modern;

1) by the national Media it was clearly Gilmour, never has performance been so separate from reputation, that was not his fault,

2) By the local media, I thought RVW was hugely over hyped, at £7M he was a gamble, when you saw Andy Caroll move at the same time (ish) for 15M, and Bony went to Swansea for £12M,

3) By most of our fans for a sustained time I would have said I thought Bradley Johnson was over rated, there was a time when he was talked about for an England cap, I thought he was miles away,

4) By myself it is Ryan Bertrand, I thought he was better than Ashley Cole, in hindsight deluded,

Edited by Newtopia

Normann for me. Lots of hype when he arrived, lots of chat from the guy too. Wasn’t really the DM that we needed, made a few good passes. Got injured. Disappeared for the rest of the season. No fight whatsoever despite all his initial bravado. I was really excited by his signing at the start and thought we might even have a personality here to drive the midfield. Utterly disappointed 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, city4eva said:

There is only one right answer.  And now Chelsea don’t want him

“He’S StiLl YoUnG” 😂