Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

So with 3 new midfielders in.. Where does Mayor McLean fit?

Last season our midfield was not good enough, Kenny included, so we've literally gone out and bought an entirely new midfield. All 3 of Sara, Nunez and Hayden could feature together, although how soon is definitely the question with Hayden still out and Sara only recently returning to training. It's a long ol' season, Kenny will play his part and has the experience at least 2 of those players do not have at this level. Kenny is certainly less likely to be dropped than Lungi. 

16 minutes ago, AJ said:

Last season our midfield was not good enough, Kenny included, so we've literally gone out and bought an entirely new midfield. All 3 of Sara, Nunez and Hayden could feature together, although how soon is definitely the question with Hayden still out and Sara only recently returning to training. It's a long ol' season, Kenny will play his part and has the experience at least 2 of those players do not have at this level. Kenny is certainly less likely to be dropped than Lungi. 

Spot on and the new additions are going to grow into this season, hopefully oust the existing players and then if all goes well and promotion happens they will continue to grow.

You should always buy in players that are better than your current options but also to have a higher ceiling. We need to hen create a opportunity for that palyer to reach that ceiling.

McLean has reached his ceiling and stayed at that level for a long time. So we have needed upgrades here for a while so we can continue to rise the ability of each position.

• Like 1

When are the new lads going to play. Yes Hayden has an injury but surely the other two must be ready for a start.

Yes I might be a dinosaur and don't apparently understand football anymore, but aren't we supposed to be buying players that fit into our style/system? So why the length of time to bed them in?

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Excellent? Really? I don't remember him being even talked about for POTS.

He had the second best stats in the team during his first PL season with us. Yes, stats, yes, we were poor, but second best in the team.

11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

When are the new lads going to play. Yes Hayden has an injury but surely the other two must be ready for a start.

Nunez arrived yesterday!

11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yes I might be a dinosaur and don't apparently understand football anymore, but aren't we supposed to be buying players that fit into our style/system? So why the length of time to bed them in?

Don't disagree. Plus we are playing Wigan. I don't see that much different to Brum 72 hours later.

Just now, Nuff Said said:

Nunez arrived yesterday!

He played last Saturday. I'd keep the momentum going. Don't want him sitting around doing nothing and getting homesick like Tzolis.

I remember Graham Paddon signing on the Thursday from Coventry Reserves and playing on Saturday and getting MOTM. Why are there excuses every feckin time. Not match fit, not used to our style, he has a bone in his foot. We need a change in midfield our we will continue to break down teams.

Three points wasted already.

48 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

And Sara?

I’ve no idea. I imagine the language barrier makes his integration into the team a bit harder. I agree it will be great to see all the new players sooner rather than later but if Smith and Shakey think they’re not ready for whatever reason, I’m happy on balance to defer to their professional judgment.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I remember Graham Paddon signing on the Thursday from Coventry Reserves and playing on Saturday and getting MOTM. Why are there excuses every feckin time. Not match fit, not used to our style, he has a bone in his foot. We need a change in midfield our we will continue to break down teams.

"They just need more time to Gel" - NCFC "Gellers" August 2022

McLean is fine in the Championship, but not PL quality. I think Sara and Nunez were brought in as potential replacements for him, as McLean is about 30/31 and out of contract next summer. He may get offered another one, but once Nunez and Sara get going I think he will become more of a backup rather than a first team regular

Kenny has and always will be at his best with no defensive obligation- iirc Farke deployed him very early on in the Buendia position. He then played more centrally but always did his best work with a Trybull or a Tettey covering the gaps left by his charges. We even had him at #10 for a while.

Makes him a little bit less effective as a 2, hopefully with our new midfielders and a move towards a 3 we can see him push his influence further up the pitch. A lot rests on Hayden and I've been concerned since before the foreign training camp that we're seeing ZERO media about him (always a concern)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Given his age I feel McLean probably has negative potential on most football managers 😉

But is he a 'team leader', I found myself in the sh*t when I sold all three of those on FM!

I think we need McClean to have an excellent season if we are going to get promoted. He is the only one with sustained championship experience which will be vital for 2 c22-23 year olds from a different continent. 

3 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

"They just need more time to Gel" - NCFC "Gellers" August 2022

Ross and Monica in for the double pivot.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Have you tried moving half the world and turning up to work the next day to be at the pinnacle of your job? Things take time to settle. Relationships take time to build.

30 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

Ross and Monica in for the double pivot.

Prime Pinkun joke real estate this 

5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I'm pretty sure you answered your own question. Paddon was coming from Coventry and spoke English. Nunez is coming from Chile and doesn't.

1 hour ago, 1902 said:

I'm pretty sure you answered your own question. Paddon was coming from Coventry and spoke English. Nunez is coming from Chile and doesn't.

That has to be the most obtuse answer. 

So according to you, we have to wait until Sara, not Nunez, can learn a bit of English to understand our tactics? Football does the talking. Didn't Bielsa have a translator?

8 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Nunez arrived yesterday!

But comes to us from the middle of their season right? Tall order but he could feature at the weekend. He'll have a good few days training by then, is match sharp.

My bet is bench vs Wigan, start in the cup. Sara could start though, both he and Dowell had late fitness tests for the Cardiff game. Suggests he wasn't too far off.

@Feedthewolf is McLean out of contract at the end of this season?

Edited by chicken

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

So according to you, we have to wait until Sara, not Nunez, can learn a bit of English to understand our tactics? Football does the talking. Didn't Bielsa have a translator?

The translator wasn’t on the pitch though. Giving direction during training is very different to in the heat of a match.

29 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Whereas failing to understand why someone may find it more difficult to rock up from South America without being able to communicate with their fellow players on the pitch and where training is harder due to a translator than someone moving from Coventry isn't obtuse at all?

It maybe that they fit in straight away, it maybe that it takes a bit longer than with an English speaking player, we don't know yet, but I have read enough of your posts over the years to be surprised that you can't see the potential differences.

The mayor will play a lot of games for us still......I think him and Hayden will be first choice 'screeners' letting Sara, Nunez and cantwell/rashica play behind /off pukki 

I don't see an issue with Nunez and/or Sara to be involved Vs Wigan.

I've kicked a football around with people from other countries with language barriers. It's amazing how quickly you find ways to communicate, pick up a word here or there.

This is only going to be easier for pro's who are training every day with each other. It could take a while, it may not.

Sara has been about for a couple of weeks, in training since last Thurs/Friday. Nunez is match fit to the league he was in. Depending upon if that is up to our stabdard or no I could see him on the bench Vs Wigan, perhaps more involved Vs Brum in the cup.

Pretty sure there have been players with less lead time involved in games before 

Okay, I've criticised him plenty in the past, as Kenny tends to try to do too much. Perhaps he can be the new Steiperman for Pukki? Play him at no. 10, get him to concentrate on forward creative play and not defensive issues, we might just see his more positive attributes. Anyone else think this might be a way I can finally accept him in our team?

Edited by shefcanary

17 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

He had the second best stats in the team during his first PL season with us. Yes, stats, yes, we were poor, but second best in the team.

Did he? I can't remember him being second top scorer or assister?  Was he second in blocks as well? Second in pass completion? Can you send me a link to those stats please?

57 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Did he? I can't remember him being second top scorer or assister?  Was he second in blocks as well? Second in pass completion? Can you send me a link to those stats please?

No, I can’t without spending time searching and it’s not that important to me. Note I did say *during* the season, not at the end, so the information I saw may not exist any more. As I remember it, someone linked to player stats during the season, probably to point out how highly Emi was rated, and Kenny was second in the list, for the sort of things you’d expect for a player in his position. Sorry, that’s all I’ve got.