Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

So with 3 new midfielders in.. Where does Mayor McLean fit?

Beacause given we have three midfielders who have come into the squad with all three no doubt wanting to be first choice on the team sheet when fit I do get the feeling he won't be pleased at being reduced to a bench warmer thats for sure, and while he does tend to get slack from time to time he has proven himself in the Championship, and he is of course one of our older and more experienced players and has been playing for us for four years now and all.

So I guess the question is.. Where does he fit into our team now or do you think its time for him to be moved on?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Can’t see all 3 of our new signings all starting at once and who knows how long Hayden will be out for. So, I expect Kenny to be playing for a while yet. 

• Like 1

My read on it is that Sara is McLean's replacement. Although McLean obviously isn't moving this season, Sara has to adapt to the country as well as bedding into the team and league.

He's by no means dreadful... played a big part in 2 promotions and there were many games where he was a standout player.  He's just not got enough in his locker for the prem unfortunately... but neither did many of our other midfielders.

• Like 7

Kenny can and will still be a force at this level , however if we get promoted he can't be anymore than a squad player ( just not good enough for prem)

• Like 1

Can see him starting on the bench but coming on if we’re lacking pointing in the middle of the park. Or if we’re holding on to a tight lead and need to tighten up the pointing at the back, win some aerial pointing duels. 

• Like 2

Hopefully when they are all fit we should get a bit more competition for places and this should mean they all raise their game.

10 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Can see him starting on the bench but coming on if we’re lacking pointing in the middle of the park. Or if we’re holding on to a tight lead and need to tighten up the pointing at the back, win some aerial pointing duels. 

We've yet to see how good the new players are at pointing and giving the ball away at key times. Obviously McLean has valuable experience at jogging round pointing and passing to the opposition, not every player does that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Kenny in the champs is fine,  its only in the prem that he struggles - his one touch interception pass for our only shot on target and his crossbar challenge effort showed that.     Sara does look like his replacement,  which means he will have  a role to play for some time as Sara beds in and/or while hayden regains fitness.  His vocality in the press about the squad (the things captains tend to do)  shows where he sits in the managers thoughts.       If we get promoted that is the time for us to move him on,  as i suspect he will want, and deserves,  to regularly start games.

I would expect Sara and Hayden to make the deep roles their own while i expect Nunez to to wider and fuirther forward, instead of rashica or sergeant - but time will tell. 

Edited by ZLF

The games come thick and fast and with at least two of the three new players having question marks over their ability to get/stay fit - Kenny will likely play a significant number of games this season.

He gets a lot of hate, but he's probably the only player at the club who is flexible enough to cover all three of those positions. He's also proven to be excellent at this level in two of those positions.

• Like 4

Maclean would walk into most Champs teams. The lack of understanding about his game on here is mind boggling.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

Wow, all this Kenny-bashing is a bit depressing to read! He's an influential contributor who's likely to thrive by having an injection of talent around him....

I actually think it’s heartening to read all the support for him. He seems to be the goto scapegoat for a lot of people. Like most, I don’t think he’s our best player, certainly not irreplaceable but he has played a key role in two promotions, has been consistently picked by both Farke and Smith and will be an important squad member this season. As HertsCanary has said, it’s a long season and we are probably going to need all the squad.

Let’s give him support to achieve more, not repeat some tired lines about pointing. Do we want vocal players who encourage and organise the team, or quiet, passive ones who don’t get involved?

Plus he will forever be the legendary Mayor for his performance at the open bus tour.

• Like 2

Good luck to him this season. I've never understood the flak he gets - on top form, he is a stand out footballer at championship level - he just needs to be at his best and the competition for places will help him with that. 

• Like 2

He'll play. I'll be furious. He'll be okay at best at this level. We'll go up, he'll still play. I'll still be furious. We'll get relegated. He'll be utterly dreadful in the PL. I'll be furious. Rinse and repeat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HertsCanary93 said:

The games come thick and fast and with at least two of the three new players having question marks over their ability to get/stay fit - Kenny will likely play a significant number of games this season.

He gets a lot of hate, but he's probably the only player at the club who is flexible enough to cover all three of those positions. He's also proven to be excellent at this level in two of those positions.

Excellent? Really? I don't remember him being even talked about for POTS.

4 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

He'll play. I'll be furious. He'll be okay at best at this level. We'll go up, he'll still play. I'll still be furious. We'll get relegated. He'll be utterly dreadful in the PL. I'll be furious. Rinse and repeat.

Everything yes !

Everyone saying he is good for the Champs - Is there any chance of any improvment  - No

Which means we will have a very medicore player if we were to get promoted - Get someone else in now that maybe could improve while playing in the Champ and ditch all those who couldnt play in the Prem.

This goes for all of our midfield from last season

He will get plenty of game time, the others will not be fit 100% of the time.  Tbh so will the 5th choice midfielder.  I am more intrigued to see what happens to Sorensen

If only it were as simple as on Fifa eh... get someone in with similar ability, but who you know who has that hidden potential 🙂

hopefully on the bench  and for Once that is not me having a go at Kenny 

it means the signings turn out to be very good players 

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Mclean would walk into most Champs teams. The lack of understanding about his game on here is mind boggling.

Is it? You've seen some of the posts on here.... 😉

But yes in all seriousness, speak to any of the Norwich squad, our current or previous coaching and management team and they'll explain why he's a huge asset to us at this level. Those that don't see any of it.....don't really surprise me 🙂

McLeans problem is that he's decent at most things but isn't very good at anything. With the right partner next to him / in front of him in number 10, I think he can compete even in the Premier League. However, if he is your best midfielders, you're in trouble at that level.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

If only it were as simple as on Fifa eh... get someone in with similar ability, but who you know who has that hidden potential 🙂

Given his age I feel McLean probably has negative potential on most football managers 😉