rock bus

Unrealistically excited by Nunez and Sara signings

I think it will take a while for Nunez and Sara to get up to speed.

I have been impressed with both in highlights, but wow... The pace of those South American games is so slow. Particularly the highlights from Chile.

Maybe we'll see them both for 20 minutes on Saturday. I'm not expecting much from Nunez immediately - he will take some time to get used to the speed of the game and the lack of space; hopefully he is good enough to cope. Sara has been training for well over a week now and should be close.

Attitude-wise, I'm delighted both new signings were not put off by what happened to Christos Tzolis. I'm hoping they each have self-belief in abundance because that is what NCFC have been missing... 

• Like 1

the cup game at brum is likely to be a lower profile opportunity to give Sara a start, if not first appearance.   and possibly a cameo appearance for nunez as he at least seems match fit.

a) Rightly or wrongly, there is pressure on Smith to get some immediate results

b) Nunez and Sara (and Hayden for different reasons) are going to need to be eased in gently.

I'm excited about the signings but more than a little apprehensive about the tension between (a) and (b)

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think if you can't get excited about new signings, not least because two signings didn't go to plan, then I wouldn't even bother with football anymore.

Can't wait to see these guys play, and no I have absolutely no idea if they'll be good or not, but I'm a Norwich fan and a football fan so I'm excited.

Good post and I get what you’re saying but it’s very hard for me personally to get excited. After last year’s horror show and a manager with about as much charisma in football terms as John Major had in politics the club just seems becalmed and directionless. I can’t remember when I last felt like this.

I’m sure I’ll continue to turn up at Carrow Rd every week more in hope than expectation and I’m really hoping these new signings quickly gel so we can see some smiles on peoples faces again.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm excited. There's has to be better than a midfield of McLean and Sorensen.

Hope that kills huh?!

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Other clubs probably pay more for fit ready to go players. We are shopping in the Lidl of player pools.

Yeah, but we shop in the middle of Lidl. Gems a plenty..

This is the problem.

I've just got so little faith in the club at the moment that I can't even get excited about new signings any more.

In days gone by buying a Brazilian or a Chilean would have been huge!

But, we've bought so much garbage recently that I just can't let myself get caught up in it any more and I still don't trust Dean Smith to get a tune out of anyone at the moment.

Here's hoping!

• Like 1

Any Unknown signing is Exciting 

i would not really wait to long till the are up to speed

Our midfield at moment are not good enough and still not up to speed after all this time so why wait 

• Like 1

All this 'getting use to the speed of the British game' I don't subscribe to. Football in South America is very physical and frenetic. 

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think if you can't get excited about new signings, not least because two signings didn't go to plan, then I wouldn't even bother with football anymore.

Can't wait to see these guys play, and no I have absolutely no idea if they'll be good or not, but I'm a Norwich fan and a football fan so I'm excited.

I would be more excited if we sold sargent and rashica.

I'm just hoping and praying that we can start creating more chances and that even just ONE of the South American players will settle and start banging goals in left right and centre. Please please can we just have a bit of good fortune 

5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Excited, sure. But it's all about the unknown. I just hope many fans don't put expectations into the stratosphere and then get antsy when they're not quite as good as what the fans in question have painted them out to be, instead of what they really are. That might not have helped matters with Tzolis.

What I think can be put to bed is this notion that Smith doesn't know what he wants to do. I think it's very clear now we're seeing the first transfers under his aegis - he wants a much more physically capable midfield and a massive focus on wing play compared to Farke. 

Only Pukki really hit the deck running as far as I can remember. Buendia had some very bright spells early on but it took time before he became a very consistent weapon. As much as some sections of the fan base are antsy, I'd say we have to be patient. At least it looks like, in theory, we have shored up our major weakness.

I agree to a point but my problem will be how will Pukki fit in to this system. If the whole game plan is not one that will fit Pukki's style of play then should we sell him before the window ends, get some money rather than a free at the end of the season and save his wages that are very high for us. Pukki is the best player we have but no point having him if he isn't used properly. 

1 hour ago, MORDENCANARY said:

All this 'getting use to the speed of the British game' I don't subscribe to. Football in South America is very physical and frenetic. 

Physical yes frenetic no. The pace of the game is the main thing players coming here from South America struggle with. They are used to having a lot more time on the ball. 

10 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

Physical yes frenetic no. The pace of the game is the main thing players coming here from South America struggle with. They are used to having a lot more time on the ball. 

Chile in particular is high altitude which has a huge impact. Nunez has probably not ever had so much oxygen! He'll be like a coiled spring with all those red blood cells.

I'm probably as curmudgeonly as anyone on here, but even I am getting little twinges of optimism. And I'm not used to twinges at my age.

I think we basically know that what we have (without the newbies) will not be good enough to get us up. But now we can at least hope that the new guys will transform the team. Q1: Will they be good enough? Q2: If they are, will Smith be good enough? All we can do is wait and see, I guess.

6 hours ago, Google Bot said:

It's clear that Smith is creating a relatively solid base - now we need those cherries to fall on top.

I'm super excited for both players, but there's also that niggling realization that we're going to be 6-7 games in before we have everyone match fit and acclimatised.  (inc Hayden)

I have a horrible feeling we won’t be seeing Hayden til much later than that 

31 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Will they be able to converse with each other ?

It may be that Sara can speak some Spanish - more likely than Nunez having much Portuguese.

WARNING. The above statement has no supporting facts, making it more of a guess - without much education.

I’m gonna throw comment in here,

why have we bought another player that’s not ready to go straight away ish, I hope I’m wrong but it does mean we still

have a lacklustre midfield.

1 minute ago, Payno10 said:

I’m gonna throw comment in here,

why have we bought another player that’s not ready to go straight away ish, I hope I’m wrong but it does mean we still

have a lacklustre midfield.

They made a big thing yesterday of Nunez being available for Saturday 

10 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

It may be that Sara can speak some Spanish - more likely than Nunez having much Portuguese.

WARNING. The above statement has no supporting facts, making it more of a guess - without much education.

I believe both Portuguese and Spanish are very similar languages and share a lot of words only they are pronounced slightly differently. You could say a Norfolk accent compared with Geordie. They should be able to understand each other quite easily. 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Chile in particular is high altitude which has a huge impact. Nunez has probably not ever had so much oxygen! He'll be like a coiled spring with all those red blood cells.

Benefits of high altitude training only really kicks in above 2000m. I highly doubt Nunez lived, or played football, at those sort of altitudes. In any case, the benefits wear off after 7-10 days back at sea level. Ask Mr Webber, he's an expert in this field 😉

Certainly a shock to the system from a landscape perspective though. Chilean Andes to the Norfolk Broads!

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

19 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

I believe both Portuguese and Spanish are very similar languages and share a lot of words only they are pronounced slightly differently. You could say a Norfolk accent compared with Geordie. They should be able to understand each other quite easily. 

19 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

Hope you are right

Alreet man, where ye gannin’?

would equate to

Hello Bor how're yer gorn on together?

By which time the opportunity to pass may have gone but some say that football itself is its own universal language - fingers crossed

• Like 1

Carlos Tevez famously tried his hardest not to learn English whilst playing in England, he did alright.

When Sara was shown around he had a translator, but said translator was wearing club gear. I wonder if we anticipated a few signings from SA and have taken one on retainer to help with settling in.

1 hour ago, Canaries north said:

In Europe, they are pronounced very differently (I used to live in Portugal). The Portuguese are very proud of the fact that Spanish people cannot understand them when they speak, but they can usually understand some Spanish. (The reality is actually more complicated, because the Portuguese in the north of the country, near Porto, is actually close to Galician, spoken in north-west Spain.)

I don't know, though, about Brazilian Portuguese and South American Spanish, but I imagine Sara will understand Núñez better than the other way around.

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

They made a big thing yesterday of Nunez being available for Saturday 

I’m amazed we allowed him to play that final game in Chile last week. Looks like we got away with it but it was a real ‘ what could possibly go wrong ‘ situation.

Never heard of it happening before.

I wonder who was really first choice: Núñez or Koné?

My money's on Koné, since he's taller and more 'physical' and that seems to be all we care about any more.

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I have a horrible feeling we won’t be seeing Hayden til much later than that 

I hope we get an update in this week's presser like when is he expected to return and if not this month are we going to sign someone else?