rock bus

Unrealistically excited by Nunez and Sara signings

I don’t know if it’s just because it has been a really depressing 12 months as a Norwich fan but at last I’m actually excited about something the club is doing. These two signings should at least bring something different to the squad in terms of style, culture and attitude. It feels a bit like when we took a punt on some unknown European players. 

One thing that the squad certainly needs is freshening up and these two combined with Hayden should do that.

Of course the pessimist side of me thinks there is no real evidence that they will be any good as the championship is so different to where they’ve played before. If other clubs bidding for the championship title had bought them I wouldn’t be particularly bothered or worried.

BUT, for now at least, it is good that we have actually done something a bit different and I’m hoping they can bring the flair and excitement back to the team (something I miss as much as the winning). 

• Like 4

South American footballers, especially Brazilians, and we lick our lips.

Who isn't excited about these signings, but there always has to be a small amount of doubt re: acclimatisation etc.?

I am equally, if not more, keen about the "Bretis Enforcer" rumours (Paul Akouokou) coming to fruition and a bit disappointed that there has been nothing more on this front.

Any news here?

I agree. The Cardiff game was so underwhelming and similar to the last games of last season seeing the 3 together in a new midfield is what I'm looking forward to most.

Actually think if other clubs had bought them I would have been impressed. Hayden is Prem quality and although the South Americans may or may not work out, they have played at a good level. 3 decent signings for a championship club

It's been rather clear a long time that we have needed an all new, fresh midfield. I do respect McLean for all he's done but I swear if he had been our number one midfielder this season I would be rather depressed

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

It's been rather clear a long time that we have needed an all new, fresh midfield. I do respect McLean for all he's done but I swear if he had been our number one midfielder this season I would be rather depressed

Well we he have this fresh new midfield now, let's just hope they settle.if Kenny was our No1 midfielder I'd be looking for a tall building to throw myself off,Dean Ashton said Kenny will score over 10 league goals this season. Lol😃

Edited by Canary dwarf
  • Haha 1

Yep I'm keen to see what they can do. Centre Mid was the obvious area of the pitch that needed addressing, and it's good to see that they seem to have the physique/legs required for the PL. 

The only issue is the time that they may need to acclimatise to the UK. Neither of them speak English and may take time to adapt. 

Fingers crossed they manage to hit the ground running - the fanbase don't seem to be particularly patient at the moment.

1 minute ago, Yellow and Green said:

Yep I'm keen to see what they can do. Centre Mid was the obvious area of the pitch that needed addressing, and it's good to see that they seem to have the physique/legs required for the PL. 

The only issue is the time that they may need to acclimatise to the UK. Neither of them speak English and may take time to adapt. 

Fingers crossed they manage to hit the ground running - the fanbase don't seem to be particularly patient at the moment.

Yeah it's my concern too about how they acclimatise and adapt to living in the UK, tzolis was allegedly very homesick .😁

I stopped getting excited about Norwich player signings when I saw Tzolis and Sargent actually play. Shocking waste of money.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

I stopped getting excited about Norwich player signings when I saw Tzolis and Sargent actually play. Shocking waste of money.

I think if you can't get excited about new signings, not least because two signings didn't go to plan, then I wouldn't even bother with football anymore.

Can't wait to see these guys play, and no I have absolutely no idea if they'll be good or not, but I'm a Norwich fan and a football fan so I'm excited.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think if you can't get excited about new signings, not least because two signings didn't go to plan, then I wouldn't even bother with football anymore.

Can't wait to see these guys play, and no I have absolutely no idea if they'll be good or not, but I'm a Norwich fan and a football fan so I'm excited.

Ah well, you are excited because of false hope born out of unrealistic expectations when considering the past efforts at spending big money. You probably still believe in the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus and the Loch Ness Monster. Keep a curb on your enthusiasm until you see results, some degree of critical , rational thinking can still be applied even if you are a “Norwich fan” or a “football fan”.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Just now, kenfoggo said:

Ah well, you are excited because of false hope born out of unrealistic expectations when considering the past efforts at spending big money. You probably still believe in the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus and the Loch Ness Monster. Keep a curb on your enthusiasm until you see results, some degree of critical , rational thinking can still be applied even if you are a “Norwich fan” or a “football fan”.

Bet you're the life and soul of those parties you don't get invited to.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

Would you rather we had signed nobody?

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Bet you're the life and soul of those parties you don't get invited to.

I would have a battle of wits with you but  you are obviously unsuited to unarmed combat. 

Edited by kenfoggo

I would have been excited if it was or before 1998, after which we realised that there were also crap Brazilian footballers. 

13 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

Anyone must be better than last seasons intake, never has so much been wasted, on so many.

You clearly have never spoken to a QPR or Sunderland fan.

Excited, sure. But it's all about the unknown. I just hope many fans don't put expectations into the stratosphere and then get antsy when they're not quite as good as what the fans in question have painted them out to be, instead of what they really are. That might not have helped matters with Tzolis.

What I think can be put to bed is this notion that Smith doesn't know what he wants to do. I think it's very clear now we're seeing the first transfers under his aegis - he wants a much more physically capable midfield and a massive focus on wing play compared to Farke. 

Only Pukki really hit the deck running as far as I can remember. Buendia had some very bright spells early on but it took time before he became a very consistent weapon. As much as some sections of the fan base are antsy, I'd say we have to be patient. At least it looks like, in theory, we have shored up our major weakness.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Would you rather we had signed nobody?

I am simply saying that I personally will not get excited until I see the new signings play on the pitch for Norwich City. Surely you can see that previous signings engendered a lot of false hope and they turned out to be useless. I hope they prove to both be as brilliant as Buendia . But will withhold any excitement until I see results. 

It's clear that Smith is creating a relatively solid base - now we need those cherries to fall on top.

I'm super excited for both players, but there's also that niggling realization that we're going to be 6-7 games in before we have everyone match fit and acclimatised.  (inc Hayden)

9 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

I am simply saying that I personally will not get excited until I see the new signings play on the pitch for Norwich City. Surely you can see that previous signings engendered a lot of false hope and they turned out to be useless. I hope they prove to both be as brilliant as Buendia . But will withhold any excitement until I see results. 

The premiership signings, yes. Our championship signings haven’t done too bad tbf

I have everything crossed that they work out but given our recent recruitment record my enthusiasm is tempered somewhat

Bit conflicted feeling about this. In a way I'm very excited and hopeful to see them to jump in. On the other hand watching their "best of"- clips and looking their career stats on leagues they've played, does tell me that I should tone down all such expectations and a good success for them would be if either of them would be able to claim their position in starting eleven during the season. 

In a way, it feels like a lottery where you bought pile of lottery tickets. You know that you've invested so much that you should get something, but you have no idea if it is a trip around the world or some cheap plastic flower. In our case it is lottery with prize being anywhere between new Buendia to League 2 bench warmer.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

You are a victim of recency bias ken, “a cognitive bias that favors recent events over historic ones”. Just because we bought some disappointing players last season means nothing in the big picture. On balance, we still do well when recruiting. 

Of course, that could all have been down to Kieran Scott but it’s extremely unlikely that a well-organised recruitment team (and anyone who manages to spot and being in Teemu, Emi and others is well organised) would be so dependent on one person.

1 hour ago, rock bus said:

I don’t know if it’s just because it has been a really depressing 12 months as a Norwich fan but at last I’m actually excited about something the club is doing. These two signings should at least bring something different to the squad in terms of style, culture and attitude. It feels a bit like when we took a punt on some unknown European players. 

One thing that the squad certainly needs is freshening up and these two combined with Hayden should do that.

Of course the pessimist side of me thinks there is no real evidence that they will be any good as the championship is so different to where they’ve played before. If other clubs bidding for the championship title had bought them I wouldn’t be particularly bothered or worried.

BUT, for now at least, it is good that we have actually done something a bit different and I’m hoping they can bring the flair and excitement back to the team (something I miss as much as the winning). 

As a norwich fan recently there hasnt been much to be optimistic about, so hopefully these signings create a new style of play which Smith is ready to implement and deliver results swiftly. We can all hope these players bed in quickly and can contribute. They are clearly looking at players who can potentially step up to the prem, so in theory they should be some of the better performers in the championship.

Last summer really burned my fingers with signings. So disappointed but then I was overly optimistic. I’m level headed now. I can see them being decent but it will take time but patience is at a premium right now I appreciate. Literally fk knows what’ll happen. 

• Thanks 2

Why do we have to wait so long to see new players, they are either injured, not fit, no match fitness, not settled etc Other clubs play them straight away 

29 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Why do we have to wait so long to see new players, they are either injured, not fit, no match fitness, not settled etc Other clubs play them straight away 

Other clubs probably pay more for fit ready to go players. We are shopping in the Lidl of player pools.

35 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

I don't think there is that option this season. It's very clear what the expectations are. We now need to see a more dynamic Smith & Shakey getting this lot playing and winning.