Sign in to follow this  
TheRock

Offside rule amendment by IFAB

https://www.theifab.com/news/law-11-offside-deliberate-play-guidelines-clarified

Not officially a change in the rules, but clarification on what is a "Deliberate play" and what is "Instinctive" now determines if offside should be called or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcNFCxCaQ5Q

Mbappe's infamous "offside goal" against Spain would indeed now be disallowed as an offside offence.

Edited by TheRock

That is a change very much for the better and back to the future.

Clearly what people generally referred to as 'played on' must mean exactly that rather than the absurd whisker touch, if it was even that, in the Mbappe goal.

Agreed, before the clarification there was a grey area which was open to punishing instictive defending.

There is still a great deal of "Referee's discresion" involved in the decision-making, but the rule is somewhat on a clearer standing now.

It's an improvement, but still close to impossible to implement effectively and correctly at grassroots level, and especially if there are no neutral assistant referees. If they really want to sort this out, go back to how it originally was, and by that I mean back in the 80s.

Brian Clough's dictum of "if they're not interfering with play, what are they doing on the pitch?" springs readily to mind.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

It's an improvement, but still close to impossible to implement effectively and correctly at grassroots level, and especially if there are no neutral assistant referees. If they really want to sort this out, go back to how it originally was, and by that I mean back in the 80s.

Brian Clough's dictum of "if they're not interfering with play, what are they doing on the pitch?" springs readily to mind.

True haha good old Cloughy.

I play grassroots and you'd be surprised how many players do not know basics of the the offside rule such as scenarios where:

• you can't be penalised for offside from a goalkick, throw-in or corner kick.
  • the goalkeeper can become the second-last opposition player, espcially in a phase of play immediately following a corner kick.
  • where an attacker is passed to by a teammate when ahead of the ball, when clear of the 2nd last opponent.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheRock said:

True haha good old Cloughy.

I play grassroots and you'd be surprised how many players do not know basics of the the offside rule such as scenarios where:

• you can't be penalised for offside from a goalkick, throw-in or corner kick.
  • the goalkeeper can become the second-last opposition player, espcially in a phase of play immediately following a corner kick.
  • where an attacker is passed to by a teammate when ahead of the ball, when clear of the 2nd last opponent.

I refereed for years and still do some games for a local girls' football club. I am not surprised.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I refereed for years and still do some games for a local girls' football club. I am not surprised.

The funniest incident I've ever seen was years ago at an U18's cup semi final when a goalkeeper was booked in the regular 90 mins, and later booked again in the penalty shootout but was (correctly) not given a red card. The other club refused to play on until someone pulled out the rulebook and proved the Referee to be correct...

Edited by TheRock
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheRock said:

The funniest incident I've ever seen was years ago at an U18's cup semi final when a goalkeeper was booked in the regular 90 mins, and later booked again in the penalty shootout but was (correctly) not given a red card. The other club refused to play on until someone pulled out the rulebook and proved the Referee to be correct...

Haha, I played for years and Ive got to admit, I didnt know this.

3 hours ago, TheRock said:

https://www.theifab.com/news/law-11-offside-deliberate-play-guidelines-clarified

Not officially a change in the rules, but clarification on what is a "Deliberate play" and what is "Instinctive" now determines if offside should be called or not.

Mbappe's infamous "offside goal" against Spain would indeed now be disallowed as an offside offence.

So answers on a post card :

Which English team (based out of Norfolk) will be the first team to see a goal ruled offside due to this rule change??

54 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

So answers on a post card :

Which English team (based out of Norfolk) will be the first team to see a goal ruled offside due to this rule change??

Not sure but probably a team who plays deep and invites crosses to encourage heading clear.

it certainly gives comfort to the defending team that the benefit of doubt will be given to them, and protects defending efforts rather than punishing them.

Edited by TheRock

7 hours ago, TheRock said:

Or if I remember correctly Connor Wickham’s late equaliser for Palace, initially given as offside before VAR decided that the ball had brushed Zimmerman’s stud when he was at full stretch.

15 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

The refs will make it up as they go along based on club badge and level of bribe

More idiotic tropes from a Social media stereotype. It's way more subconscious than that. I don't think you're as smart as you think you are.  

On 02/08/2022 at 17:02, Sussexyellow said:

Or if I remember correctly Connor Wickham’s late equaliser for Palace, initially given as offside before VAR decided that the ball had brushed Zimmerman’s stud when he was at full stretch.

True.

I'd like to see how different referees interpret this, especially the "distance" factor. I'd go as far as saying Gerrard's header in the 2014 world cup match v Uruguay would be deemed as "instinctive" as he has no control of the ball, thus Suarez's winning goal would now be deemed as offside. These are very similar to IFAB's video examples #7, #11 and #12.

Skip to 8:45 to view.

However, when from a goal kick, I bet there will now be controversy after a first touch defensive header falls to an offside striker who scores, as the referee will have to determine intstictiveness/deliberateness of the play (i.e. a challenged header would be instictive thus no goal, however, an unchallenged free header would now be up to the opinion of the referee as to whether an alternative move could have been made...)

Edited by TheRock

On 02/08/2022 at 09:54, TheRock said:

Thank god! 

This was the most nonsensical abstract part of the rule. I still think it could be a lot simpler and just go back to when the ball is played forward to a player of the same team that is beyond the last man etc. If a defending player passes the ball back, it's totally different.

I actually think the worst example of this was I think South Korea Vs Germany in 2018. I want to say it glanced off a defenders calf ever so slightly to a player standing offside beyond him... 

Had one on a Sunday not too dissimilar, ball pumped back into the box after a corner, striker was running back onside, CB wasn't to know whether the player behind him was onside or not so went to header it forward, it was too high but glanced off the back of his head, striker scored.

Just needs to be at the point of playing the ball forward.

I also agree with @TheGunnShowthough. And Clough's comment. If you are not making an effort to get onside, then you have the advantage of not burning up energy, you are also a distracting interference. As another friend puts it KISS, keep it simple stupid. No reason not to go back to basics now, would bloody sort out VAR a bit too. 

16 hours ago, chicken said:

Thank god! 

This was the most nonsensical abstract part of the rule. I still think it could be a lot simpler and just go back to when the ball is played forward to a player of the same team that is beyond the last man etc. If a defending player passes the ball back, it's totally different.

I actually think the worst example of this was I think South Korea Vs Germany in 2018. I want to say it glanced off a defenders calf ever so slightly to a player standing offside beyond him... 

Had one on a Sunday not too dissimilar, ball pumped back into the box after a corner, striker was running back onside, CB wasn't to know whether the player behind him was onside or not so went to header it forward, it was too high but glanced off the back of his head, striker scored.

Just needs to be at the point of playing the ball forward.

I also agree with @TheGunnShowthough. And Clough's comment. If you are not making an effort to get onside, then you have the advantage of not burning up energy, you are also a distracting interference. As another friend puts it KISS, keep it simple stupid. No reason not to go back to basics now, would bloody sort out VAR a bit too. 

Good god, that's a tricky one to say the least...!

Ignore German #11's spider touch on the calf for a moment: I bet you could ask 100 top FIFA referees about German #8's play alone, not all of them would agree on whether its deliberate/instinctive, as some would probably argue its an intentional pass  to #11 or the goalkeeper 😂.

6 hours ago, TheRock said:

Good god, that's a tricky one to say the least...!

Ignore German #11's spider touch on the calf for a moment: I bet you could ask 100 top FIFA referees about German #8's play alone, not all of them would agree on whether its deliberate/instinctive, as some would probably argue its an intentional pass  to #11 or the goalkeeper 😂.

Yup, I want to say there was also another I was thinking of that was more blatant than that too.

47 minutes ago, chicken said:

Yup, I want to say there was also another I was thinking of that was more blatant than that too.

I remember this ridiculous one from last season - although a totally illogical phase of play it did happen to the misfortune of Tyrone Mings which was enjoyable. 

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12199339/referees-told-to-alter-offside-decisions-after-controversy-in-man-city-vs-aston-villa-game