Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

How can Smith get the best out of Pukki?

Beacause I have to say I am starting to worry that Smith does not himself know, whch when you have a player who is often said to be the best striker in the divison is rather.. Troublesome. A rather interesting little bit of worrying trivia is that against Cardiff Pukki was unable to register a single shot,be it on target or off target. In our last Championship season in the entire season there were only three matches in which Pukki was unable to get off a shot, and in his first Championship season for us Pukki did not have a single match all season in which he was unable to get a shot off.. And now here we are one match in and Pukki has yet to get a shot off already. So, How can Smith get the best from him? Do you think he knows? Is it 4-3-3? 4-3-1-1? Or should Pukki start playing with someone like Idah besides him in a two up top? After all Pukki was able to become finlads all time record goalscorer while playing along side another striker and all.

It's pretty simple. Pukki needs to be playing alongside people who will actually pass him the ball. That's not Rashica or Sargent. We need a creative number 10 so that Cantwell can play on the left.

• Like 1

Another striker or at least better support from those around him would be the answer imo - people who can run at defenders and pull them out of position so allowing Pukki to find spaces more easily.  Sargent and Rashica should be doing this more and if they don't then they should make way for someone who can do it.  Onel knows how to do it and Idah causes problems too.  Good old fashioned 442 would be a good bet imo.

With new players, Dowell’s probably the only player likely to give him a decent throughball in this squad and that’s the issue.

Sara and Nunez will be key components to supporting Pukki going forwards. 4-1-4-1 formation with Idah sometimes getting the nod and us playing 4-1-3-2

The less we play with Rashica and Sargent the better. The more with Sara, nunez, cantwell, dowell the more pukki will score. 

Dowell as an inside forward on the right, if we're willing to sacrifice pace down that wing. Possibly as a number 10 but in reality most of Pukki's chances from Dowell's play historically have been from Dowell coming inside on to his left and playing reverse passes / through balls inbetween defenders.

For the record, Pukki didn't really do any worse goalscoring wise in the Prem under Smith than he did under Farke, even with an Emi behind him.

Sell him while we can still find a buyer. Pukki has always squandered countless goalscoring chances and without the likes of Emi making him look good he struggles.

It's time we stopped dreaming of being PL contenders for a few years until we get some youngsters on the pitch and blooded in instead of importing overseas chancers looking for a quick buck on short term re-sale.

• Like 1

it must be so disheartening for Pukki 

all that work and runs he puts in every game and not get one shot away agains cardiff 

i admire they way he acts if it was me i would be saying i can not do this anymore 

running myself into the ground every game with out decent chances being created 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Beacause I have to say I am starting to worry that Smith does not himself know, whch when you have a player who is often said to be the best striker in the divison is rather.. Troublesome. A rather interesting little bit of worrying trivia is that against Cardiff Pukki was unable to register a single shot,be it on target or off target. In our last Championship season in the entire season there were only three matches in which Pukki was unable to get off a shot, and in his first Championship season for us Pukki did not have a single match all season in which he was unable to get a shot off.. And now here we are one match in and Pukki has yet to get a shot off already. So, How can Smith get the best from him? Do you think he knows? Is it 4-3-3? 4-3-1-1? Or should Pukki start playing with someone like Idah besides him in a two up top? After all Pukki was able to become finlads all time record goalscorer while playing along side another striker and all.

Re-sign Emi

We all know what is required to get Pukki to get scoring.  He needs service, precise forward passes which have been missing since Emi was not replaced by a competent midfield.   Dowell is not the answer not good enough.  However I feel Pukki feels aggreived by requiring him to stay and lets see how quickly his current injury is cleared up. 

42 minutes ago, Hucks6 said:

Smith can’t get the best out of anyone 

He managed to with Grealish.

He arguably managed to with Watkins too. 

Let's hope he can do similar here.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I dont know, he's seemed to oddly enough get cantwell motivated and back to his best but apart from that..

Todd did look ready to knuckle down and tackle back and chase players. So if our new midfield three were ready to play would he still be playing? Would he be pushed further forward? Certainly there is no way back for Sarge at the moment. And Rashica is an odd one. I think there is a good player in there but his passing and final ball are awful. And I feel for him that he never got the ball where he could run onto it. He was always facing his own goal apart from when he was fouled for the sending off.

I am concerned at the moment for our tactics and style. There isn't a clear identity. For all I know Deano will change completely for Wigan. And he must of course. I am fed up hearing "we need to be more clinical" or "we need to take our chances" or Kenny saying "we need to get it together". You had half of last season chaps. Wee need to get aggressive, use Rashica's pace and push up the pitch so that Teemu can play where he likes to. On the shoulder of the last defender. Not dropping back to take a three yard pass.

4 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

How can Smith get the best out of Pukki?

Get Emi back here on a season's loan.....

Selling him possibly the most stupid thing our newly promoted club has ever done... particularly when it had no replacement in mind.

I mean, who could have seen a player with 33 goals & assists in one season, being a massive miss!

Not having found a Skipp replacement nor a Emi replacement is unacceptable really.

We've gotta hope the two south Americans come good for us, then pukki will get the chances he thrives on , not sure about Dean Smith anymore, he doesn't seem to be getting the best from our players .🤔

19 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Grealish looked a better player under Smith than Pep.

Is that not because he is surrounded by better players a Citeh than he was as Villa - that the perception is he doesnt look as good? 

From MB in the athletic today I read that only in 4 starts across the previous two championship campaigns did he fail to register an attempt on goal (all in 20/21), like he did on Saturday.

That’s 4 games across 43 starts in 18/19 and 39 starts in 20/21. Under 5% of his games started.

A very small sample size granted, but feels a bit of coincidence that first game of the season he hits that 1 in 20 chance where he doesn’t register a single shot. Or maybe it won’t be a 5% rarity this season….

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

46 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I dont know, he's seemed to oddly enough get cantwell motivated and back to his best but apart from that..

The little **** who stole your missus pissing off back to his parent club after having a ****e year is probably a hell of a motivator 

switch back to a 4231 system buy a playmaker to play no 10, play Cantwell on the left and Dowell on the right. 

Actually playing through balls and letting him run at goal would be a good start