......and Smith must score.

Match Thread : England Women v Germany

6 minutes ago, astro said:

Surely they simply deserve credit for winning their tournament. The men’s performance shouldn’t, and doesn’t, need to even come into it? 

Agree with the opening bit, in fact I would go a step further and say they deserve a little extra. The men's performance simply puts it into perspective, especially when considering the relative lack of finance in the women's game (although it is slowly becoming more viable), not to mention women were almost rendered unable to play at all for 50 years. 

Edited by TheGunnShow

10 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

image.png.2bca3d034c217c34f9587fb441030aa3.png

Local football has not been thriving, for it to sustain and develop a community base it needs strong female membership, today is a great result for local footy.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I disagree and think that's a pretty flawed dichotomy. Otherwise every time you highlight something exceptional you would apparently criticise something that's merely very good.

You're not. You're merely saying it wasn't quite as good. Not criticising them at all.

Only if you highlighted the worse rather than just focussing on the good, go reread your comment the majority of it was focussed on the men’s failure. I still don’t see the relevance of mentioning it considering the clear multiple differences other than to be divisive.

Add your comment about  “I wonder how many of the critics of women's football will be amongst those saying "it's coming home"?”

I don’t get why some people think the way to improve things is to be divisive.

I personally couldn’t care less if people have always thought women’s football is a joke, if this changes their mind even a little I’m glad.

11 minutes ago, astro said:

Surely they simply deserve credit for winning their tournament. The men’s performance shouldn’t, and doesn’t, need to even come into it? 

Exactly, thank you.

It makes me laugh, womens football wants to be recognized as it's own entity, and fair play for that, but it keeps getting compared to the men's game. Possibly more by the media than the players etc, but surely the two can exist, rightly, in their own right, seperately, and compliment each other. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Only if you highlighted the worse rather than just focussing on the good, go reread your comment the majority of it was focussed on the men’s failure. I still don’t see the relevance of mentioning it considering the clear multiple differences other than to be divisive.

Add your comment about  “I wonder how many of the critics of women's football will be amongst those saying "it's coming home"?”

I don’t get why some people think the way to improve things is to be divisive.

I personally couldn’t care less if people have always thought women’s football is a joke, if this changes their mind even a little I’m glad.

The majority of that comment you mentioned merely showed a difference in the organisation of the tournament, not a description of the men's failure.

You took it as divisive when it wasn't the intent. Agree fully with your last sentence though, but I would point out that the men falling just short should actually make it clear to such people precisely why women's football is not a joke.

Fantastic game to watch and what a result. Well done the lionesses.

Will admit to not having watched that much women's football before this tournament, but the tournament and this final will have me following, at least on the international level, a lot closer. 

Enjoyed watching this game far more than any Norwich game over the past year. Hope Norwich start taking the female game more seriously as well.

4 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

Fantastic game to watch and what a result. Well done the lionesses.

Will admit to not having watched that much women's football before this tournament, but the tournament and this final will have me following, at least on the international level, a lot closer. 

Enjoyed watching this game far more than any Norwich game over the past year. Hope Norwich start taking the female game more seriously as well.

Would love to see some leadership from Norwich on this, the club try’s to do some great things, recent mental health push being one. No reason I can see why as a club we couldn’t do more to invest in women’s football, they’ve made some changes on this but could do a lot more without spending huge sums.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

The majority of that comment you mentioned merely showed a difference in the organisation of the tournament, not a description of the men's failure.

You took it as divisive when it wasn't the intent. Agree fully with your last sentence though, but I would point out that the men falling just short should actually make it clear to such people precisely why women's football is not a joke.

I’m merely pointing out to you whether meant or not you’re being divisive. Others have pointed out there’s no reason to make a women v men comparison. You’re undermining what I assume is your own agenda. Take that onboard or don’t that’s up to you.

Exciting end to a great run for the women. No comparisons, just accept it for what it is.

I know adrenalin was running high but listening afterwards I thought was over the top. Just as us amateurs have all played football to and at a level, women's football is at its own level. To talk of the EPL running it is ludicrous.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

There’s a huge difference between the men’s and women’s game, but Southgate could certainly learn a few things from Wiegman. His management in the final (and since) was very poor.

Agreed. Unfortunately Southgate has gone down the politically correct road and that now appears to be his priority.   

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Exciting end to a great run for the women. No comparisons, just accept it for what it is.

I know adrenalin was running high but listening afterwards I thought was over the top. Just as us amateurs have all played football to and at a level, women's football is at its own level. To talk of the EPL running it is ludicrous.

Things inevitably get a bit over hyped after a win like that. I can understand some of it though, anyone whose been involved in girls or womens footy over the years will know what an uphill struggle it is, even down to simple things like being able to get training areas and pitches with suitable facilities, it’s hard enough with mens and youth local football but for girls and ladies it another level.

That was the most I've enjoyed watching a football game in years. It wasn't all about giving it to the fast player and sticking 10 men behind the ball like is the norm for PL level mens football, it was actually a good, exciting and unpredictable football match that I enjoyed from start to finish. Mens football is rubbish to watch now that because relegation is so catastrophic that every team no matter their quality goes for the Allardyce approach to football to desperately survive in the top flight. We were shocking last year but the sight of teams worth 100's of millions more than us sticking 10 men behind the ball wherever we won it back was sickening to me, nobody wants to play on any even terms, it's just win at all costs, fill the team with big lads and fast players and score easy goals. It's rubbish. This was a  brilliant result and a great match to watch and I'm absolutely buzzing. 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Agree with the opening bit, in fact I would go a step further and say they deserve a little extra. The men's performance simply puts it into perspective, especially when considering the relative lack of finance in the women's game (although it is slowly becoming more viable), not to mention women were almost rendered unable to play at all for 50 years. 

In eurropean terms I think the england womens team are better funded than most other countries added to that a home tournemant and the general lack of depth of quality across womens international football, it would have been a failure if they didnt win it.

Compated to Englands standing in mens football, there is a far higher depth of quality meaning its far more difficult to win a tournament.

Compare the gap in standard for instance between the worlds no.1 ranked womens team to the rank.20...compared to the top 20 in mens international football

11 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agreed. Unfortunately Southgate has gone down the politically correct road and that now appears to be his priority.   

What the **** has him being "politically correct" got to do with anything?

If you're offended by someone trying to do something about racism, I'd suggest you toughen up, snowflake.

• Like 1

Football has come home! A stunning victory by the

. Huge congratulations to Sarina, Leah and the whole team. Football pitches across the country will be filled as never before by girls and women inspired by your triumph.

This from 2019: "Data released under the Freedom of Information Act reveals that more than 700 council football pitches have been lost since 2010."

• Sad 1

I hope the club makes the most of this by having a ladies game at Carrow Road. Get Lauren Hemp to come do an appearance. The chance to show appreciation to a European Championship winner and get some more interest in the ladies game would draw quite a crowd, I reckon. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

In eurropean terms I think the england womens team are better funded than most other countries added to that a home tournemant and the general lack of depth of quality across womens international football, it would have been a failure if they didnt win it.

Compated to Englands standing in mens football, there is a far higher depth of quality meaning its far more difficult to win a tournament.

Compare the gap in standard for instance between the worlds no.1 ranked womens team to the rank.20...compared to the top 20 in mens international football

Dunno, Germany's top flight is far more established, France and Spain might be as well and I'm fairly sure the same can be said for the Scandinavian countries, at least in terms of time - I remember reading somewhere, albeit a fairly long time ago, that in Norway more women play than men. There could be more money coming in recently into women's football in England, but only very recently indeed.

Not to mention the England side stuffed Norway during the group stage in what would be expected to be a close one, and beat two other teams in Spain and Sweden that would usually be considered better than them, and that's before getting to Germany. They did have home advantage, but they had a tough run of fixtures.

There is less depth in women's football, hence a 20-0 win against Latvia in the qualifiers, but this is at the thick end. Could argue the men's World Cup/European Championships only ever has a few teams with a chance of winning it and most make up the numbers so at European tournament level I don't think that argument sticks very well.

Edited by TheGunnShow