Sign in to follow this  
Channon’s Windmill

CB pairing next week should be fun.

With Hanley suspended, Gibson only just back from injury and not match sharp (hopefully) , Zimmerman sold the recurring tradition of square peg in round hole returns. Does Lungi drop back ?(nope..needed in midfield due to injuries) , Byram won’t be ready. Guess it could be a debut for Tomlinson.

Does feel like we are stretching ourselves too thinly in that spot.

3 established senior centre backs, a totally untested youngster and a couple of temporary stop gap options (one of which is extremely injury prone, the other we need in central midfield right now).

Never more than a couple of injuries or suspensions away from being bare bones at the back, can hardly put it down to bad luck as it takes very little for something like this to happen- as we are already seeing… 1 game into the season…

Didn’t see the harm in keeping Zimmerman around for another season, DITTO Rupp. Both would’ve been playing next week.

20 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

With Hanley suspended, Gibson only just back from injury and not match sharp (hopefully) , Zimmerman sold the recurring tradition of square peg in round hole returns. Does Lungi drop back ?(nope..needed in midfield due to injuries) , Byram won’t be ready. Guess it could be a debut for Tomlinson.

Believe me, he is not needed in midfield.

• Confused 1

Imagine it has to be Sorensen if Gibson isn’t fit, Omobamidele and Tomkinson seems a tough ask for the two youngsters.

Better keep McClean wrapped in cotton wool this week though.

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Really does seem like every season we have a centreback injury crisis yet we never learn. 

But CC didn't you hear? 

We have a bloated squad and it needed trimming down, and how many players do we expect the club to have in the squad during the season for an eventuality that might not happen!?

Imagine if Kenny picks up a knock in training this week too. 

9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Really does seem like every season we have a centreback injury crisis yet we never learn. 

When you rely on sicknote Byram as defensive cover you know you'll be crossing your fingers and toes.

Gibson's injury record hasn't been encouraging either.

If Tomkinson is not ready to play, then the management / recruitment team need to hang their heads in shame.

We have gone into a season without enough midfielders or centre backs for the third season running.

I am disappointed about yesterday's result, but a single result is not a real indicator.  If Tomkinson does not play, then questions are asked.

Last season was the first that I can remember where we actually had cover at cb - but even that wasn’t enough due to a mixture of a injury and covid.  In any season you are always relying on a modicum of fortune regarding injuries but can certainly help things along: having 3 centre backs + an untried youngster before needing to play people out of position is not a good start, but we’re told we aren’t looking for anyone in that role. For me, that is a big mistake. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

Tbh based on performances during pre-season I think I'd prefer Tomkinson over Zimbo anyway. Though lacking the experience he showed more composure on the ball, athleticism and pace than we've seen from Zimbo in the last year or so and really at some point we have to make sure there are these pathways for academy players. 

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Last season was the first that I can remember where we actually had cover at cb - but even that wasn’t enough due to a mixture of a injury and covid.  In any season you are always relying on a modicum of fortune regarding injuries but can certainly help things along: having 3 centre backs + an untried youngster before needing to play people out of position is not a good start, but we’re told we aren’t looking for anyone in that role. For me, that is a big mistake. 

I actually have been in the "our squad was too big camp" but I really feel we make building a squad as difficult as possible. 

3 GKs 

5 CBs

4 full backs

5 central midfielders 

4 wingers

3 attacking midfielders

3 strikers

27 players. Assuming some of them can act as back up or shift across you will be absolutely fine. Instead we seem to always have about 94 wingers and no centre back.

i am a great believer in players for Natural positions so if your 1st teamer is out you move on to next then youth if needed to thats how you find younger players who rise to the challenge if they play well they keep the shirt 

after all the aged 1st teamer did not do very well yesterday 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

if only the transfer window hadn't slammed shut - we could have brought in a CB..

oh wait.....

Signed and starting next week as per my post? We will see, not so sure. By the end of the window, I would really hope so. 

5 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

Believe me, he is not needed in midfield.

And why is that. General opinion at the game that it was strange he was pulled when he was doing a good job making sure the two CBs had plenty of room to play. He looked calm, assured and strong in the tackle. One player who could say he played well.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

And why is that. General opinion at the game that it was strange he was pulled when he was doing a good job making sure the two CBs had plenty of room to play. He looked calm, assured and strong in the tackle. One player who could say he played well.

We obviously saw different games. I saw a defensive midfielder (presumably) who was lacking urgency who failed to close opposition players down swiftly and efficiently. His tackling was OK (once he got there) but his distribution was nothing special. He does not appear to give any of his fellow players any confidence in his game and leaves them worrying about his positional play.

But still, he may be needed at centre back next week.

54 minutes ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

if only the transfer window hadn't slammed shut - we could have brought in a CB..

oh wait.....

The problem is that we have been told by journos that we aren’t looking at getting in a new cb.  That’s supposed to be direct from the club: we are looking at CM (Nunez) and possibly a winger.  Hopefully they will review that plan.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Is the “we didn’t have our best two Center backs so we need more time and the gelling and the time and the not his squad and the whatnot” the early excuse for next week?

I remember back in 71/72 when we lost big Duncan Forbes to injury and really had no back up. Everything big Ron tried to cover for his absence didn't quite work, but somehow the other players on the pitch pulled together and the promotion chase was kept on track. If the rest of the current squad up their game, then as in 71/72, the temporary absence of a CB should not mean the end of our challenge. But is Deano up to Saunders style motivational skills to achieve this? That's my concern, not the lack of cover, but the lack of good management.

Edited by shefcanary

1 hour ago, Yellow Wal said:

We obviously saw different games. I saw a defensive midfielder (presumably) who was lacking urgency who failed to close opposition players down swiftly and efficiently. His tackling was OK (once he got there) but his distribution was nothing special. He does not appear to give any of his fellow players any confidence in his game and leaves them worrying about his positional play.

But still, he may be needed at centre back next week.

I thought his distribution was fine. And OK, it may be an exaggeration to say 'he played well', but his performance definitely looked above several of our other players.

50 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I thought his distribution was fine. And OK, it may be an exaggeration to say 'he played well', but his performance definitely looked above several of our other players.

I would agree with you in that to say 'he played well' would be an exaggeration but, unfortunately, I would also agree he may have been on a par or above some of our other players.

That's a worry!

8 hours ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

The experienced Omobamidele will be guiding the youngster through the game

8 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Imagine it has to be Sorensen if Gibson isn’t fit, Omobamidele and Tomkinson seems a tough ask for the two youngsters.

Wrapped in cotton wool and stored in the attic for an emergency we hope never comes?

7 hours ago, Newtopia said:

If Tomkinson is not ready to play, then the management / recruitment team need to hang their heads in shame.

We have gone into a season without enough midfielders or centre backs for the third season running.

I am disappointed about yesterday's result, but a single result is not a real indicator.  If Tomkinson does not play, then questions are asked.

Makes you wonder how this is compatible with having a 'bloated squad' doesnt it?

17 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Wrapped in cotton wool and stored in the attic for an emergency we hope never comes?

He’s the only proven CM we have right now, and I realise how much of an issue that is.

8 hours ago, Monty13 said:

OMG, we're praying that McLean doesn't get injured because we need him so badly. How low does this get?