cambridgeshire canary

The day after.. How are we feeling now?

Given we have now had a night to rest and sleep on yesterday's result and therefore a lot of the immediate anger has presumably subsided how are we feeling now we have had time to reflect?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Patient and optimistically waiting to see the new signings and hopefully seeing the departure of some of yesterday's team.

• Like 2

Still a bit concerned.........but I do remember our previous campaigns under Farke when we looked poor when Buendia wasn't playing. So I think we need to give it some more time.

Hayden to add some steel, Sara and possibly Nunez could add the missing spark. (I saw it rumoured we are looing for a winger too) I think we need one based on what we've seen from Sinani, Sargeant and Rashica so far.

Edited by HoolaOHoolahan

Someone on here said, "We've gone from having no Plan B to having no Plan A".

Absolutely spot on

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kirku said:

Someone on here said, "We've gone from having no Plan B to having no Plan A".

Absolutely spot on

Plan A appears to be:

Dean Smith: “shakey, get that kettle on let’s have a brew”

• Haha 4

We all knew before a ball was kicked that at the moment we have zero creativity in this team.Before kick-off Smith was saying that we have goals in the team and we will make enough chances,but obviously we hav'nt,and we don't!! God,we have to hope that Hayden,Sara and Nunez are ready to hit the ground running or its going to be a long,long season.

26 minutes ago, HoolaOHoolahan said:

Still a bit concerned.........but I do remember our previous campaigns under Farke when we looked poor when Buendia wasn't playing. So I think we need to give it some more time.

Hayden to add some steel, Sara and possibly Nunez could add the missing spark. (I saw it rumoured we are looing for a winger too) I think we need one based on what we've seen from Sinani, Sargeant and Rashica so far.

I sincerely hope Smith isn't 'looking for a winger' as we have Rowe and Springett both of whom should be given real opportunities. No-one has seen Sinani play for us in any meaningful football whilst Rashica needs to be sold or told to 'get his head right'. Agree about 'USA' though. He is nothing more than a hustling, bustling, hard working 'wide player' and you can get plenty of them for barely a million £ I'd say out of League One or Two who would be just as 'good'.

• Like 1

We never hit the ground running.

As usual there are far too many unresolved issues regarding players in or out, team selection, formation, tactics etc etc.

Other Clubs are much more savvy in this department and they know the date that the season starts so they're ready for it.

My guess is that we won't be ready for our new season to start until the end of August.

Meanwhile, other Clubs will be sailing off to the top of the table and we'll be playing catch up.

• Like 2

Nothing to do with anger, just a deep sigh and a feeling of exasperation. 

Just a carry over from last season. The signs were there in pre season but people didn't want to see it. Same old same old.

Hopefully a massive wake up call for all concern.

Still no faith in Dean Smith's ability to motivate and organise a team, no matter which players come in. But no real anger just an acceptance that this season will be meh🤷

I have to say that we as the away fans were well up for it, but the home fans were useless.  They were expecting a pasting and we should’ve given them one.  I just don’t know how we slept walked our way into defeat.

milot and sarge were particularly useless IMO 

Really ought to start Sinani and Hernandez against Wigan. Sinani played an excellent incisive ball in behind for Onel when he came on and the latter just has that more aggression and speed in the final third that will open space for Pukki to exploit. 

Sargeant definitely should not be starting and questionably now Rashica. Wouldn’t be adverse to Sargeant getting a loan move away to hopefully do what Tzolis will do in terms of rebuilding confidence or at least getting some goals and getting his sale value a bit higher than what it would be right now. 

When Hayden comes into the fold and hopefully  is past his injury problems then you would hope he can make a difference in midfield. Sara once up to speed will help to shake the middle of the park up. Nunez looks a good up and coming prospect, big million dollar question is can he quickly adapt to the championship. Idah and Dowell on their way back as well so we have to remain positive that we can start putting winning/unbeaten run together. 

45 games to go, 135 points to go for. Let’s not panic just yet.

• Like 2

Rashica and sargent shouldn't be in this side  forget their price tags , we have too look at other options whether that's Argos , sinani , Sara, Hayden , when fit or whoever I don't know, we have to bite the bullet and cut our losses on the werder Bremen 2.otbc

It all seems so much of a shambles that one could be forgiven for thinking that it's all been done on purpose.

The club has gradually and consistently gone downhill  since the day  Daniel Farke was sacked.

It is difficult to take one single positive from Dean Smith's tenure so far. In his defence, though, we have to take into account that he has not been able to field one single player of his own (signing) since he took over.

Amazingly, that's over nearly two complete transfer windows. We have to hope that these three new players live up to expectations, and quickly. The Hayden situation is a blow irrespective of the fact that it has become difficult to have any faith at all in Stuart Webber's transfer dealings.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Rashica and sargent shouldn't be in this side  forget their price tags , we have too look at other options whether that's Argos , sinani , Sara, Hayden , when fit or whoever I don't know, we have to bite the bullet and cut our losses on the werder Bremen 2.otbc

I’d not give up on them just yet - imo a season in the Champs is probably what they need.  But for two guys to be quite so sporadically effective, at coming close to an outlay of £20m, is quite astonishing - we need them to step it up.  For a winger Rashica seems to have no pace or trickery, Onel looked twice the player when he came on.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Still fuming that after a whole pre season and friendlies , that was the best Smith could come with yesterday, losing to a poor team cobbled together of free transfers

We could all see that theres been no method or style in pre season, what messages have Smith/Shakespeare been trying to convey to these players?

Underwhelmed, bordering on apathetic………

……much like the players felt yesterday…..

Ultimately there’s more to life than football, thankfully.  Until my dying day I’ll never quite understand how we managed to lose to a side with such little-to-no threat, but it happened, we move on. It’s just another in a long line of opening day screw-ups, we should be used to it.

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Ultimately there’s more to life than football, thankfully.  Until my dying day I’ll never quite understand how we managed to lose to a side with such little-to-no threat, but it happened, we move on. It’s just another in a long line of opening day screw-ups, we should be used to it.

We have won only two of our last twenty opening fixtures of the season ,🤔

40 minutes ago, Tommo said:

Really ought to start Sinani and Hernandez against Wigan. Sinani played an excellent incisive ball in behind for Onel when he came on and the latter just has that more aggression and speed in the final third that will open space for Pukki to exploit. 

Sargeant definitely should not be starting and questionably now Rashica. Wouldn’t be adverse to Sargeant getting a loan move away to hopefully do what Tzolis will do in terms of rebuilding confidence or at least getting some goals and getting his sale value a bit higher than what it would be right now. 

When Hayden comes into the fold and hopefully  is past his injury problems then you would hope he can make a difference in midfield. Sara once up to speed will help to shake the middle of the park up. Nunez looks a good up and coming prospect, big million dollar question is can he quickly adapt to the championship. Idah and Dowell on their way back as well so we have to remain positive that we can start putting winning/unbeaten run together. 

45 games to go, 135 points to go for. Let’s not panic just yet.

Agree with the first paragraph. Smith himself has said Sinani can spot a pass. Start him, as he appears to be the only player on the books atm who could pick Pukki's runs like Buendia used to. 

19 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

I'd have Josh Martin on the wing ahead of Sargent...

• Like 1

Until this team under Smith shows something resembling good football, it is difficult to feel anything positive. 

I'm not convinced Cantwell is the answer at the 10 position, one good shot and a few good touches, but is that enough? 

Rashica hasn't done much in over a whole season - some good runs, but lacking goals which are supposed to be part of his game.

Sargent can be effective, but has to show it more.

Mclean needs to find his best form, Sorensen needs more game time (criminally underused imo).

Idah, Sara, Hayden, Onel, maybe Sinani, can make a difference but whoever is picked has to perform - and until they do, they are collectively going to get a lot of criticism.

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I'd have Josh Martin on the wing ahead of Sargent...

To my mind he should be demoted to Private. Corporal at most. 

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Until this team under Smith shows something resembling good football, it is difficult to feel anything positive. 

I'm not convinced Cantwell is the answer at the 10 position, one good shot and a few good touches, but is that enough? 

Rashica hasn't done much in over a whole season - some good runs, but lacking goals which are supposed to be part of his game.

Sargent can be effective, but has to show it more.

Mclean needs to find his best form, Sorensen needs more game time (criminally underused imo).

Idah, Sara, Hayden, Onel, maybe Sinani, can make a difference but whoever is picked has to perform - and until they do, they are collectively going to get a lot of criticism.

I'm pinning my hopes on a name you havent mentioned there in Dowell, I'd push Cantwell wide and play him as no.10. Proved he can get goals and assists at this level

21 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’d not give up on them just yet - imo a season in the Champs is probably what they need.  But for two guys to be quite so sporadically effective, at coming close to an outlay of £20m, is quite astonishing - we need them to step it up.  For a winger Rashica seems to have no pace or trickery, Onel looked twice the player when he came on.

One very slight defence of Rashica, whilst he was woeful regardless, is that Cardiff had clearly marked him as our danger-man. That he had 3 players on him pretty quickly yet none of our other players could take advantage of that space is probably another problem, though.

I’m hoping for better but expecting a slow painful first couple of months of transition this season based on what’s happening with the squad.

Yesterday was disappointing, but I can’t say unexpected personally.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

We have won only two of our last twenty opening fixtures of the season ,🤔

Not sure where I saw it, but someone yesterday said that in our history we’d played 8 league/cup matches during July and lost all 8.  Weird.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

One very slight defence of Rashica, whilst he was woeful regardless, is that Cardiff had clearly marked him as our danger-man. That he had 3 players on him pretty quickly yet none of our other players could take advantage of that space is probably another problem, though.

Yea I thought this, was also going to say happy to see him go but on reflection he was crowded out constantly yesterday. Give him the benefit of the doubt as it’s just one game but he really needs to start justifying his place or he shouldn’t be starting.