Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Did that really happen?

Hugill really isn't the answer, I'm not sure he actually touched the ball today. If you want mid-table mediocrity, or worse, then start Hernandez and Hugill. It's fcuking depressing how we've got to this stage. 

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Classic case of a team that sleep-walked into a defeat. Also a classic case of a team that's not quite bedded in yet. A bit more pace on the passing moves, or Kenny's shot going under the bar (I think if that had gone in, we'd have gone on to win it), and some better set-pieces, and we'd have edged that in a classic Championship tussle where refined football is often rendered very difficult.

Hard to understand much bedding in they are going to need then - our entire starting line up has been here for at least one season and quite a few of them for several seasons.

If they can't do it now, then when....?

In practice of course, apart from Webber's duff signings from last season, we know that they can do it but not, it seems, with this Head Coach.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Hard to understand much bedding in they are going to need then - our entire starting line up has been here for at least one season and quite a few of them for several seasons.

If they can't do it now, then when....?

In practice of course, apart from Webber's duff signings from last season, we know that they can do it but not, it seems, with this Head Coach.

Hadn't played much with that combo and that was basically the crux of my point. Cantwell was out for most of last season so he wouldn't have played much with Rashica and Sargent. Lungi hadn't spent all that much time in centre-midfield either. And that's just the starting line-up. We've still got Hayden and Sara to add to this, and maybe even Nunez.

Against a team that were excellent at tactical fouling to slow us down, the remedy is a shade more pace to take the fouling out of the equation. However, when a fair few haven't played together all that much, that pace isn't quite there, and that was essentially the problem today. The annoyance is that any sort of scrappy 1-0 win to us would have provided a bit more confidence and possibly helped aid the process, but we're back to square one here.

Fair play to Cardiff, they did what they had to today. We needed a shade more pace and a shade more precision.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Well said mate. Hogesar can't handle the truth. So he turns on people. He was my first ignore. He is a blubbering bully boy.

What's the truth then? 😅😅😅

Coming from the bloke who said "illegal streams aren't illegal" I think I'll survive 😅😅😅😅😅

24 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Hugill really isn't the answer

Depends what the question is. If it's "Which player do we have that couldn't trap a bag of cement" or "Which player do we have that looks like he is blowing out of his *rse within 5 minutes of being on the pitch", he definitely is the answer. If the question is "Who is going to score goals for a team looking to get promoted, hopefully playing a passing style" then I agree, definitely not the answer.

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

Depends what the question is. If it's "Which player do we have that couldn't trap a bag of cement" or "Which player do we have that looks like he is blowing out of his *rse within 5 minutes of being on the pitch", he definitely is the answer. If the question is "Who is going to score goals for a team looking to get promoted, hopefully playing a passing style" then I agree, definitely not the answer.

Yes, the answer to the “blowing out of his ****…” used to be PLM.  He always looked completely spent after his first sprint

19 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Hadn't played much with that combo and that was basically the crux of my point. Cantwell was out for most of last season so he wouldn't have played much with Rashica and Sargent. Lungi hadn't spent all that much time in centre-midfield either.

Fair enough, but by the same token none of them are exactly strangers either.

Also it is the first game of the season which we shouldn't normally get too exercised about but in many ways this was a  particularly bad first game in that it actually seemed very much like a direct continuity from the rather aimless, flat way we played under Smith last season and which failed to produce a result even against much lesser opposition.

I think what most concerns me is that some of our (Farke's) better players seem to be gone significantly backwards whilst playing for Smith - I'm thinking particularly of Max though he is by no means the only one.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Fair enough, but by the same token none of them are exactly strangers either.

Also it is the first game of the season which we shouldn't normally get too exercised about but in many ways this was a  particularly bad first game in that it actually seemed very much like a direct continuity from the rather aimless, flat way we played under Smith last season and which failed to produce a result even against much lesser opposition.

I think what most concerns me is that some of our (Farke's) better players seem to be gone significantly backwards whilst playing for Smith - I'm thinking particularly of Max though he is by no means the only one.

True, but there's a considerable difference between "not exactly strangers" and "well-drilled in tough competition under pressure". If they've not had much quality match time with each other in the same positions, then fluidity through instinct will not kick in yet. If anything was particularly clear about Farke's brand of football, it was that. Players were so well-drilled and more over, had the technical ability to do so at a certain level, that even despite the relatively low levels of physicality and athleticism in the ranks relative to the rest of the league, the ball would still move quickly and accurately as speed of thought trumped speed of locomotion. That only comes through hard matches.

I agree that players look like they might have gone backwards under Smith (not Omo though) and would definitely agree that Aarons is in that camp, but he's also having to play differently at the moment. Smith looks like he wants much faster transitions from back to front, and balls sent out wide. At least with Farke-ball, wing-backs could gradually work their way up. Under Smith it seems more flat-out.

I think we'll get much more of an idea when Hayden and Sara have had a few games. I suspect you'll see the full-backs happily start a bit further up. And if there's anything a central midfield pairing of Lungi and McLean does lack, it's a strong burst of acceleration. Both are diligent workers and Lungi's excellent at tackling, but neither have a burst of pace to consistently leave a man behind when they've turned the ball over. That was a real issue.

2 minutes ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

Oh come on, anyone who’s dared to question Smith you’ve jumped on!

I’ve said give him a chance and if it doesn’t work get shot. One game, with no new players, is not giving him that chance.  It’s really quite simple, but you don’t seem to be able to understand.

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’ve said give him a chance and if it doesn’t work get shot. One game, with no new players, is not giving him that chance.  It’s really quite simple, but you don’t seem to be able to understand.

1 game? so you are forgetting about the horrifically bad end to the season (sorry 3/4 of a season) and a poor pre season and we still don’t appear to have a system!  Apart from that, good point well made!

4 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s not often I’m lost for words, but how did we manage to lose today?  Cardiff had literally no threat the entire game, but somehow we manufactured a defeat from it.  That’s utterly ridiculous.

It is 100% down to us playing down to their level like amateurs in the second half…but even then they spent literally no time in our half.  

There is something very, very wrong with this team.  

8 minutes ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

1 game? so you are forgetting about the horrifically bad end to the season (sorry 3/4 of a season) and a poor pre season and we still don’t appear to have a system!  Apart from that, good point well made!

Poor pre season? The first team lost one game, at Celtic; a makeshift XI then lost at Hibs.  Is that particularly poor? Not really.  But it wouldn’t have made any difference to you if we’d won, would it, you’d have then called preseason irrelevant. 

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Poor pre season? The first team lost one game, at Celtic; a makeshift XI then lost at Hibs.  Is that particularly poor? Not really.  But it wouldn’t have made any difference to you if we’d won, would it, you’d have then called preseason irrelevant. 

So you’re ignoring 3/4 of last season and today…….the results that really matter!! My god! But your not pro smith at all!!!😂

We've got no identity under Smith.

Can anybody tell me what we were trying to do to win that game?

All I saw was practically everything going through Cantwell, two "wingers" produce nothing, a bunch of aimless long balls, and absolutely nothing for Pukki to feed off.

Dirge.

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

What's the truth then? 😅😅😅

Coming from the bloke who said "illegal streams aren't illegal" I think I'll survive 😅😅😅😅😅

Self funding doesn't work and we're going backwards under this model?

Delia Smith has no place being near a football club?

The debacles of last season being forgiven as "we'll just go straight back up" isn't looking like it's such a given this year?

All these becoming more obvious but the forums biggest happy clapper can't be seen to deviate from the pro club/Delia party line so takes out frustration on posters.

Perhaps?

5 hours ago, BarclayWazza said:

The debacles of last season being forgiven as "we'll just go straight back up" isn't looking like it's such a given this year?

All these becoming more obvious but the forums biggest happy clapper can't be seen to deviate from the pro club/Delia party line so takes out frustration on posters.

Perhaps?

Nope, that all sounds like made up rubbish that you've spouted for 10 years but keep getting wrong. Good try though, proud of you 🙃

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

Nope, that all sounds like made up rubbish that you've spouted for 10 years but keep getting wrong. Good try though, proud of you 🙃

Proud that you didn't resort to abuse there. You must have calmed down since yesterday. Happy clap on my brother 🤣

17 hours ago, BarclayWazza said:

Perhaps?

2 hours ago, BarclayWazza said:

Proud that you didn't resort to abuse there. You must have calmed down since yesterday. Happy clap on my brother 🤣

Ignore the fool. He thinks the earth is flat and watching a stream you haven't paid for is illegal. I bet he stares at light bulbs. He certainly blubs when we lose.

3 hours ago, BarclayWazza said:

The biggest cry baby on here.