Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Did that really happen?

What it looked like to me was an imitation of Farke's 4-2-3-1 by a coaching team who really don't understand the fundamental principles of how it's supposed to work. Sacking Farke is looking worse with each passing week.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Nothing up with Pukki.

It's the cretin playing a formation that nullifies one of the most prolific strikers this league has ever seen.

Like taking a Formula 1 car to race on an off road circuit.

Nail

12 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Nothing up with Pukki.

It's the cretin playing a formation that nullifies one of the most prolific strikers this league has ever seen.

Nailed it 👍

From what we've seen from Dean Smith's tenure so far, it's hard to see us doing anything of note this season. 

We've got to give him time this season I suppose, but I haven't been impressed with anything from him in the 9 months as manager so far.

21 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Nothing up with Pukki.

Is he nullifying him with the formation or do we just completely lack the players to utilise him?

Only player in the squad that looks like he might be able to get the best out of Pukki to me is Dowel and he’s injured. Maybe Sinani but jury’s out.

Pukki’s been feeding on scraps since we sold Buendia and I don’t see that changing without an addition or two capable of playing the balls he needs personally. 

Well I watched the first 40 mins and then had had enough.....So I closed my chrome book and took the dog for a walk.....It's going to be a long old season.....

33 minutes ago, Petriix said:

What it looked like to me was an imitation of Farke's 4-2-3-1 by a coaching team who really don't understand the fundamental principles of how it's supposed to work. Sacking Farke is looking worse with each passing week.

Sacrificed at the altar of proving the £30m wasn’t ‘pissed up the wall’. 

Rashica and Sargent were rightly substituted today for looking ineffectual in the second tier. 

Farke wasn’t to blame for our lack of corporate finance and corollary lack of competitiveness at the top level. 

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

When you consider what their goal was, and the rest of the game, it is hard to believe we managed to lose it. 

On the flip side it's easy to see why we didn't win it either.

Oh my god get a grip you desperate bunch of whining saddoes.

We lost to a deflected goal. Will happen to all teams. 

One game in. That's it. 

You're expecting instant success in an unrealistic way and setting Smith up to fail no matter what he does.

Newsflash. This season we I'll lose some games, and every team will up their to beat us. 

Its truly pathetic watching the insane flip flopping of doom to ridiculous confidence and back again, from some posters within minutes.

Grow and get a bloody grip, the club doesn't need fans like this right now. 

4 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Sacrificed at the altar of proving the £30m wasn’t ‘pissed up the wall’. 

Rashica and Sargent were rightly substituted today for looking ineffectual in the second tier. 

Farke wasn’t to blame for our lack of corporate finance and corollary for lack of competitiveness at the top level. 

Parma 

I agree. Both looked poor. I think we need a new CH and certainly when Max goes a couple of right backs. Wouldn't mind young Archer as well as Hugill ain't the answer. Early days but we need new blood in and old ****e out

55 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

Listen mate don't throw that around. He's said nothing that deserves that. Disagree with him but come on, we were terrible and smith is now indefensible. Pukki comment was silly but christ.

Well said mate. Hogesar can't handle the truth. So he turns on people. He was my first ignore. He is a blubbering bully boy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Well said mate. Hogesar can't handle the truth. So he turns on people. He was my first ignore. He is a blubbering bully boy.

Ran out of likes so 👍👍👍👍

Had McLeans chance which hit the bar from the corner gone in, the rest of the game may have swung our way and panned out differently

However whats concerning is that after that chance hit the bar I dont think we had another effort on goal...even in the 15 mins where we had an extra man

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Also let's be rationale, Cardiff are aiming for the playoffs this season they don't have a terrible squad

Cardiff will get nowhere near the playoffs. They were rubbish, carried zero threat snd should have been beaten. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Cardiff will get nowhere near the playoffs. They were rubbish, carried zero threat snd should have been beaten. 

Quite so - I don’t think I’ll ever quite work out how we lost that game, they barely ever came into our half let alone with any threat to the goal.  Krul must be wondering what happened.

1 hour ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Why are you surprised ? Come on, back the manager and his style of play.

He doesn't have a style of play. That's why many of us don't back him.

• Like 1

Sadly, the recruitment was poor last season. We are left to carry that burden as these players presumably will not be easy to shift. Of course Webber had an impossible task as we headed back to the PL but that legacy hangs large upon us. Only new investment can break our cycle of failure.

We never lose to Cardiff.

Won 7 out of the last 9 I think I heard.

The fact we lost today is very telling, especially as Cardiff were $ hite last season and werent great today.

3 things I am convinced of now. Dean Smith lost the dressing room in December, there is no tactical gameplan being coached to the players on how to manufacture goalscoring opportunities and how to win games of football, and we should never have sacked Farke.

At our level, and the self funding thing Farke was perfect. He moulded Bundesliga f@#£&# 2 players into a Championship winning team for god's sake! Twice!

Smith spent £300m at Villa and still got sacked.

Clubs in a mess. We are a rudderless shop with no captain.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

You think today was Smith’s fault?  Why?  It’s the exact XI literally everyone said they’d have played. The players badly underperformed, it has far more to do with them.

First time since 1998/1999 season we have not had a single new player in the team on the opening game. The recruitment in the last three transfer windows has not been good enough. You can sack all the managers you want but if the person buying the failing players is still doing that... this squad is characterless, has no fight and no passion. It's a Glen Roeder type of nothingness.

Edited by Kenny Foggo
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, fredherring said:

One game in. That's it. 

You're expecting instant success in an unrealistic way and setting Smith up to fail no matter what he does.

Newsflash. This season we I'll lose some games, and every team will up their to beat us. 

Its truly pathetic watching the insane flip flopping of doom to ridiculous confidence and back again, from some posters within minutes.

One game in? Instant success? 

Smith has been here since November 2021 pal.

We've watched utter dross since, completely devoid of all the positive attributes we were treated to under Farke.

Even during Farkes first season in the Prem we had some unbelievable moments. Man City, Leicester, Spurs in the cup.

There wasn't one great moment under Smith after the lucky new manager bounce win in his first game when the Southampton keeper gifted us 2 goals, apart from perhaps Watford away, when they were at the worst.

Sacking Farke in my opinion, which has been the same since the day he left, was a catastrophic error that we are paying for right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

First time since 98 we haven't fielded a new signing in first game of the season... 

Its a funny one but I think we are actually in a fairly unique position this year squad wise. We sent out a lot of good championship players on loan, who we know can perform at this level, and which we welcomed back. So they kind of were new squad additions for this season.

Hugill, Hernandez, Cantwell and Sinani, plus Gibbs and the returning Idah and Andy,  all weren't in the picture last season. And all I think walk into most champ teams.

For me we didn't need to do any more business than we already have, with Hayden, Sara and hopefully Nunez. If they were fit they probably would have played today.

I actually despise Dean Smith.

It's a Bryan Gunn situation again In that you can't really blame the bloke for taking the job offered but Jesus Christ.

Whoever made the decision to hire him off the back of farke (Webber?) Needs a new job

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fredherring said:

One game in. That's it. 

Did you watch it?

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s not often I’m lost for words, but how did we manage to lose today?  Cardiff had literally no threat the entire game, but somehow we manufactured a defeat from it.  That’s utterly ridiculous.

It is 100% down to us playing down to their level like amateurs in the second half…but even then they spent literally no time in our half.  

But but Smith is really good!!!!! Oh!

Smith offered an air of 'everything's on course and going to plan" throughout pre season when people could see it clearly wasnt

Emperors new clothes

We havent looked good at all in pre season, even at kings lynn we couldnt impose an attacking style , the 2 games in Scotland last week, we wouldnt have scored in either if we were still playing now

People may dismiss pre season but its a time to hone a system and style of play to take into the season....and guess what, we've carried this non entity into that today

Now the only exception to the above was the Marseille game where we got wingers out wide and got crosses into Hugill .

Maybe thats the way to go...442 Pukki and Hugill up front?

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Because we have no creativity. It’s the same problem from last season. You can’t simply stick Pukki up front and expect goals to happen, he needs supply off the shoulder and the midfield need to progress the ball forwards quickly and with intent.

Rashica and Sargent did absolutely nothing today. I’d replace them both next game, no question.

All of that ^, courtesy of a clueless Head Coach and a DoF 18 months past his sell by date.