Sign in to follow this  
Canario

Goals

Where are they coming from?

Our defence stands up fine at this level but goals get you up. 

Can't see what Sargent or Rashica bring in terms of creating or scoring. 

CMs aren't going to be scoring many either. 

Got to hope the two South Americans show us how to play football as at the moment we are way off what's needed.

Edited by Canario
  • Like 1

I couldn't agree more. So much has been made of the central midfield while everyone has made the wild assumption that our attacking players will miraculously transform into world-beaters after last season's no-show.

We're absolutely devoid of creativity. What Cantwell does well is to pick up the ball and pick a pass into the attacking third but he becomes totally ineffective without someone moving into the space. None of them seem to have the ability to play a through ball.

The biggest worry is that Smith will keep persevering with Rashica. If we could recoup half of what he cost then we should get rid of him now. He simply doesn't understand how to link up with our other players and doesn't have the ability to make anything happen on his own. 

I hope Sara plays 8 and allows Cantwell to play 10. About the only player on our books who can actually pass a football!

10 minutes ago, Canario said:

I hope Sara plays 8 and allows Cantwell to play 10. About the only player on our books who can actually pass a football!

I hope that Dowell can play 10 with Cantwell left AM.

If it's a straight fight for the ten between Dowells and Cantwell I'd play Todd. But yep, both in the xi would allow to create a bit more for sure. Cantwell pressing really well at the mo so if Dowell improves that side of his game then both can be accommodated 

What we really need is ALL the players risking all by letting a shot fly from outside the box 

Based on today I'd happily drop 4 of the 5 midfielders we had out there when Sara, Hayden, Dowell and hopefully Nunez are up and running.

Hayden holding, Sara and Nunez joining from deep, Dowell and Cantwell playing wider but coming narrow to allow Dimi and Aarons to overlap. Sargent is good for throwing on if you need someone to run around for 20 minutes, McLean should be made first team coach so he can do his most effective pointing while not troubling a football and Sorenson should be the new mascot. 

• Like 1

Was only able to watch 10 mins today (game overlapping my brother in law's wedding party), so cannot really comment much. On that period though we looked like two separate teams, other being defensive guys and other being attacking players, but not connecting to each others. Wingers just stayed wide, not making moves to be available more centrally to help build-up. CMs very static, not moving into half spaces or offering themselves between the lines to stitch the formation together while in possession. All this seemed to make us very slow on the ball. It was more like waiting someone else to do the job and being available only after that. But that was just 10 min period, so I wonder if there was more positives in full game?

2 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

We all know the goals will come from Pukki the better question would be where is his service going to come from 

True up to a point. No side gets promoted with 25 goals. So yes who creates but also wo ese is going to chip in?!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, king canary said:

Based on today I'd happily drop 4 of the 5 midfielders we had out there when Sara, Hayden, Dowell and hopefully Nunez are up and running.

Hayden holding, Sara and Nunez joining from deep, Dowell and Cantwell playing wider but coming narrow to allow Dimi and Aarons to overlap. Sargent is good for throwing on if you need someone to run around for 20 minutes, McLean should be made first team coach so he can do his most effective pointing while not troubling a football and Sorenson should be the new mascot. 

Totally agree, but so many ifs buts and maybes and the season starts now! Hayden sounds at least 2 months away and we may not even sign Nunes. That leaves Sara but he's only just started training with the first team,. Bad state of affairs.