cambridgeshire canary

**Official lappinitup match thread Cardiff v Norwich**

It shouldn’t surprise me but it’s amazing how all the posters who haven’t been on here for months emerge from the woodwork for a moan after a one - deflected - goal loss for our first game . It’s not a great result but it means nothing at this stage of the season, but no, it’s meltdown city on here. Luckily I’ll be at the Wigan game so I won’t have to read the wailing from the Tena brigade for a couple of weeks. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, wcorkcanary said:

Yep there'll be smashed keyboards and graffitied bedsheets by the dozen. 

Hopefully my Primark investments pay off then... 

• Haha 1

Yep, one of those shockers. Probably a 0-0 was right on the balance of play, but if you don't shoot, you don't score. Sawyers chanced his arm, got a deflection and it hit the jackpot. Where was our occasional pot-shot from distance?

10 minutes ago, chicken said:

Really, please just cease and desist. You keep throwing out so much rubbish, it just underlines what little clue you 

The apathy

• Like 1

As much as certain people don’t want to believe it, Emi and Skipp were the beating heart of this team last Championship season. We haven’t replaced Emi with a playmaker in the same ilk, and we don’t have a CDM that can anticipate and protect like Skipp. 

We’ve ripped the supply of goals from Pukki so he feeds on scraps, Sargent is absolutely useless and not of the required standard, Rashica looks like he’d rather be anywhere else, and the midfield is far too soft and easy to overrun. 

If Smith hadn’t figured all of that out from last season then frankly, I don’t see how we’re going to compete at all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Have to say Cardiff did practically nothing to deserve the points - literally no threat at all.  Quite how we managed to concede and lose is beyond me.

That's the worrying thing, as **** as they were we still struggled to create. Our front 3 were utterly appalling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

My guess, having only seen one game and none of our new signings is 2nd or 3rd.

I would love that to be the case. I just don't have the faith in the manager or our recruits. Maybe if Hayden , Sara and other new recruits are amazing? I love your confidence but I fear it may be misplaced.

4 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Dean Smith in serious trouble here. Norwich HAVE to beat Wigan at home next week or it could start to turn on him.

Losing to Wigan could relegate us? 😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Only a 1 nil loss and It's a good job we are in a lower league were our game plan will bear fruit. We did enough to hold out and maybe sneak a winner, but in the end luck went Cardiffs way. 

Stop being sensible. Clearly we're nailed on for relegation.

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

No, he's not. We have been repeatedly fouled before we can make advantage of breaking with pace, of having good situations. The ref has failed to punish repetitive and persistent fouling, even for by the book straight yellows.

DCB would have you believe that we are rubbish, created nothing because we played badly. Just listen to the professionals, commentators and journalists.

The main praise you can give Cardiff is that after the fouls etc, they got it right with the ten men they got behind the ball. Other than that, they offered nothing but a very clever way of stopping us from playing.

We need something a bit more from McLean and Sorensen, they won't be our first choice two in the middle, even as part of three. We needed a Howson in there, someone who can move the ball a bit faster. I think we saw that when Gibbs came on.

However, we were not beaten at football today. We were beaten by a poor application of the laws of the game on a team whose primary focus was in stopping football from being played. 

Not our fault at all then?

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

It shouldn’t surprise me but it’s amazing how all the posters who haven’t been on here for months emerge from the woodwork for a moan after a one - deflected - goal loss for our first game . It’s not a great result but it means nothing at this stage of the season, but no, it’s meltdown city on here. Luckily I’ll be at the Wigan game so I won’t have to read the wailing from the Tena brigade for a couple of weeks. 

The trouble is that this is just an continuation from last season - trouble scoring and not enough from midfield - we can only hope that the new players signed can hit the ground running

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Yep there'll be smashed keyboards and graffitied bedsheets by the dozen. 

Update this video to 2022, change the team to Norwich, and....

• Haha 2

No surprise today as creativity is totally missing. Pukki now injured so god knows where gosls are going to come from. Hopefully Sara and Nunez will give us the creativity we do so desperately need. The only comfort for me is that we have a habit of starting slowly as we did in our last two Championship seasons. Still, I’ll stick with my mid-table finish prefiction.

Got to be a bit smug, correct score righty yet again.  Knew we are so poor we would not score.  Won't score until new midfield so nexct two weeks no goals

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

As much as certain people don’t want to believe it, Emi and Skipp were the beating heart of this team last Championship season. We haven’t replaced Emi with a playmaker in the same ilk, and we don’t have a CDM that can anticipate and protect like Skipp. 

We’ve ripped the supply of goals from Pukki so he feeds on scraps, Sargent is absolutely useless and not of the required standard, Rashica looks like he’d rather be anywhere else, and the midfield is far too soft and easy to overrun. 

If Smith hadn’t figured all of that out from last season then frankly, I don’t see how we’re going to compete at all.

Hayden, Sara and possibly Nunez. 

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yep, one of those shockers. Probably a 0-0 was right on the balance of play, but if you don't shoot, you don't score. Sawyers chanced his arm, got a deflection and it hit the jackpot. Where was our occasional pot-shot from distance?

McLean hitting the bar?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

How can anyone sane call out Dean Smith for the shambles he’s working under at Board level at NCFC? Idiots.

Not sure how The Board have prevented Smith from putting on a decent showing v Cardiff

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Have to say Cardiff did practically nothing to deserve the points - literally no threat at all.  Quite how we managed to concede and lose is beyond me.

I actually feel sorry for Smith, it’s still his responsibility so he’s not by any means blameless but these players today didn’t look good enough and there was a real lack of fight.

The fact that Hernandez, a player deemed surplus last year, came on and in a brief cameo looked better and more determined than most is pretty damning.

It’s one game, I don’t want to make judgements for the long term based on it, but you can make observations on the 90 and in this game we looked like a side in need of some fresh blood.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

In fairness the summer signings do seem to be an attempt to address that.

Still, no mercy, sack by 11 games if not on course - it's how we roll at Norwich

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

Hopefully my Primark investments pay off then... 

Great back humour reference 😁🏻

Rashica really doesn't do enough and today was easily nudged off the ball.  A big lack of cohesion with the players up front and passing pretty awful. Burnley last night passing was just perfect. We are still WIP and need our new signings

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Exactly what I was thinking, just waiting in the wings...

Everyone blaming the wingers for not being up to much but from the stands at least the whole system looked wrong. Plan seemed to be to pass back to the defence and then a long ball up to ... Where? Rashica and Sargent never got a ball they could do anything with. Cantwell looked like the spark in the first half, vanished in the second and we were beaten by a team who know how to play this league.