Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Have we just bought Marcelino Núñez for $4 million?

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgxKOLhojTF/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

If anyone knows how to embed this, that would be great. But judging by this snippet, his English is absolutely zero. Hopefully it doesn't cause teething problems.

I think Pukki knows a bit of Spanish as he played for Sevilla, but yeah it will be a crash course in English. McLean can just point him in the right direction.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think Pukki knows a bit of Spanish as he played for Sevilla, but yeah it will be a crash course in English. McLean can just point him in the right direction.

😂 To be fair if he plays on the right Max has some pretty easy to read body language too.

11 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Again, not nearly as common as you would think. 

As with really striking a ball well. Not a common skill either. 

Nunez is unusual - I was actually the same - in that he often prefers to drift left and strike for goal from his left side when faced with an opportunity, though chooses to take set pieces right footed. A very good sign. 

Remarkable Jeff. 

Parma 

As he's now pretty much confirmed as a Norwich player, I had another look at his Youtube highlights to see why I said earlier he was rather one-footed.  As you said, he did score with some good left-footed shots but when he's running with the ball and taking players on or passing (or, as you said, taking free-kicks) it's almost exclusively with his right.  I guess I had just wondered whether that's a weakness when the opposition know he is so one-sided.  I noticed that he often goes past a player on his (Nunez) left side remarkably effectively without touching the ball with his left foot.  Anyway, he looks a class act to me and I'm very excited to see what he can do for us.

38 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgxKOLhojTF/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

If anyone knows how to embed this, that would be great. But judging by this snippet, his English is absolutely zero. Hopefully it doesn't cause teething problems.

Zero English never hurt Paul Lambert while he was manager. 

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

More like Brexit fuked any chance of ever signing another European.

42680174-6183-434A-B268-1DD0F432EF31.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

One match in Bill, one match in! 😂

So you’re going for criticising the one match in predictions? Just so I’m clear as you have a habit of ignoring requests for clarification. 

9 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

How do you work that out?

Have you not seen how difficult it is to get a work permit for a European footballer now ?

Far easier to get a non EU work permit 

• Like 1

From the reports from South America and from some comments here, based on footage, I got the impression Nunez would be the nearest thing we have had to a replacement for Buendia, especially in terms of unlocking opposition defences. But Southwell is saying he is not dissimilar to Sara as more of an energetic box to box player, albeit right-footed as opposed to Sara's left-footedness. And that the creativity will have to come from others we already have, or from another signing:

"The Sara and Nunez additions point to a change in style. These aren’t players with the natural skillset to dominate possession. They are players who have strong physical numbers and want to press to get after the ball. 

"Harnessing that energy into an organised press could bring joy for Norwich but does little to provide a solution to breaking down teams when in a low block.

"That is where they will rely on the creativity of the likes of Todd Cantwell, Danel Sinani, Kieran Dowell and Milot Rashica. There remains a possibility that Norwich could look to sign another wide player if the financials were right, most likely on a loan." 

I still think if the right offer now came in Cantwell or Sorensen or both would be sold.

Once we get all three fit the 4-3-3 system will be strong, if these new signings are an improvement on what we have. We have Gibbs by all accounts impressed Smith, Sorensen who the jury still out on.

Dowell needs to get fit and stay fit, we do appear to buy players who are prone to injury, Dowell, Byram, Gibson……but as others stated a fit Dowell in this division gives us that link to Pukki, closest we have to Buendia. I still have faith in Cantwell, Idah and Sargent, who will in time contribute to our season. But on paper we look really strong, good mix of players with experience, youth and new midfield solidity we hope!

15 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Have you not seen how difficult it is to get a work permit for a European footballer now ?

Far easier to get a non EU work permit 

A player’s nationality has less relevance than where they have been playing. Since the post-Brexit rules for football came into force on 1 January 2021 we have signed-

Lees-Melou, EU national from EU team 

Tzolis, EU national from EU team

Gianoullis, EU national from EU team

Rashica, non-EU national from EU team

Normann, non-EU national from non-EU team 

Kabak, non-EU national from EU team 

Sargent, non-EU national from EU team

Sara, non-EU national from non-EU team

Nunez, non-EU national from non-EU team

11 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

From the reports from South America and from some comments here, based on footage, I got the impression Nunez would be the nearest thing we have had to a replacement for Buendia, especially in terms of unlocking opposition defences. But Southwell is saying he is not dissimilar to Sara as more of an energetic box to box player, albeit right-footed as opposed to Sara's left-footedness. And that the creativity will have to come from others we already have, or from another signing:

"The Sara and Nunez additions point to a change in style. These aren’t players with the natural skillset to dominate possession. They are players who have strong physical numbers and want to press to get after the ball. 

"Harnessing that energy into an organised press could bring joy for Norwich but does little to provide a solution to breaking down teams when in a low block.

"That is where they will rely on the creativity of the likes of Todd Cantwell, Danel Sinani, Kieran Dowell and Milot Rashica. There remains a possibility that Norwich could look to sign another wide player if the financials were right, most likely on a loan." 

I hope Southwell is wrong and Sara and Núñez can do more than just round around and press. Gilmour, McLean, PLM and especially Sargent all had the ability to run around the park and cover every blade of grass. None of them showed much vision or creativity. If we're relying on the four players Southwell mentions for that on a regular basis, it could be a long, dull season.

33 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I hope Southwell is wrong and Sara and Núñez can do more than just round around and press. Gilmour, McLean, PLM and especially Sargent all had the ability to run around the park and cover every blade of grass. None of them showed much vision or creativity. If we're relying on the four players Southwell mentions for that on a regular basis, it could be a long, dull season.

In this division we shouldn’t need our attacking three to run around and press! The midfield three should be capable of doing that and winning the ball, playing to the likes of Cantwell, Dowell, Pukki and pressing up supporting them.

From the highlights I saw last week, we were too focused on not conceding that we forgot how to attack a hangover from the premiership! We looked worse once they went down to ten, we looked lost as what to do once we win the ball.

Tbh if you work harder and press higher up the pitch the flair often takes care of itself, if you play out from the back it is more difficult to create chances than if you steal the ball from a defense who are slightly out of position on the edge of their box.  

9 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

A player’s nationality has less relevance than where they have been playing. Since the post-Brexit rules for football came into force on 1 January 2021 we have signed-

With transfers being based on points, and there is no advantage to getting an EU player, you might as well buy from South America as those player are cheaper.  Brexit makes the transfer of okay players from the EU harder.  Whether you think that is good or bad is down to opinion.

10 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

What the Brexit rules have made much harder is signing the kind of undiscovered gems from European lower-status leagues and European down-the-pyramid leagues we thrived on, especially when in the Championship.

Six of the players on that list were signed last season when we were in the Premier League and could shop in and attract players from major European leagues. It is not a coincidence that we have so far this window not signed one player from continental Europe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Tbh if you work harder and press higher up the pitch the flair often takes care of itself, if you play out from the back it is more difficult to create chances than if you steal the ball from a defense who are slightly out of position on the edge of their box.  

Exactly this, if you get a turnover high up the pitch it's all about catching their defence off guard. It just needs to be crisp and accurate, not intricate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Exactly this, if you get a turnover high up the pitch it's all about catching their defence off guard. It just needs to be crisp and accurate, not intricate.

Yes, hence Farke would always speak about overloads - he understood the patterns in a game and across different areas of the pitch, possibly like no other. The problem we had though was that defences in the PL have often been excellent and we found ourselves lacking. Yet, he understood the dynamics. In the PL we only rarely got to the final third because we were constantly outfought (midfield issues again). In the Championship we very often 'camped' by the penalty area, waiting to pick teams off. Dean Smith HAS to find a way of getting our teams back to these ways. If he doesn't, we will be also rans. Maybe Nunez and even Sara will be what we need? I really hope so.

Edited by sonyc