Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Have we just bought Marcelino Núñez for $4 million?

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Where are we getting all this money from

Delia's had a clear out... I think she managed to raise it at Arminghall... 

Brexit has clearly altered the club model. I guess we will see how good our scouts in South America are.

44 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

The Chilean too league is league one standard, that’s being generous, that’s probably the reason.

He looks like a world beater in the YouTube video but it is against some pretty woeful defending.

Hmmn I've watched a hell of a lot of Primera in Chile. My team La Serena are comically hopeless. My Bro in Law was in the youth team with Carlos Villanueva. Like all sh!t leagues the best teams do get exposure to international tournaments. Did Nunez play against Sara recently in the Copa Libertadores?

49 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Gunn

Max

Andrew O

Hanley

Dimi

Hayden

Sara

Nunez

Cantwell 

Pukki

Rashica 

Job done? 

It could almost be a little more exciting, adjusted it to reflect that they are saying he would suit 4-3-3.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The Brazilian League is a hell of a lot stronger than the Chilean league, so I'm a bit confused with where you are coming from here?

The team we are apparently signing Nunez from have won the Chilean League four years in a row, despite having a ground capacity of 14000.

You are talking about the top league of a country with a population of 14,000,000 versus the top league of a country with a population of 214 million. 

Based more on his international appearances rather than anything. I know that it's much harder to become an international for Brazil than Chile, but Chile has a decent track record of producing players and having won ten caps in the last year, he must be one of their brighter prospects. Population isn't always a huge indicator of footballing quality by the way; Argentina is smaller than Colombia, Netherlands is smaller than Romania and Portugal is smaller than Greece.

Besides, as you say, Nunez plays for a side who have won the league four times in a row and he doesn't have a history of niggly injuries, unlike Sara.

But yeah, maybe 'stronger CV' was a bit far. I'd say they're about level, all things considered.

31 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Nu-Wes 

Indeed! Some of the feints and drag backs were a throw back to the Wes glory days for sure!! Left many opponents on the deck until they started kicking him up in the air. The Championship is a different story of course but IF this does get over the line it's a mighty mouth watering prospect. 

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Never mind then? 🤔

Michael Bailey and Samuel Seaman both reported this as being true, Chilean reporter may not be speaking 100% truth

Norwich used to have the biggest Chilean community in Britain outside of London I believe. Viva Allende!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TESCO said:

Michael Bailey and Samuel Seaman both reported this as being true, Chilean reporter may not be speaking 100% truth

There's no way he would play another game for his club if the transfer was agreed. Norwich would not allow it in case he gets injured

Edited by AJ

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

A bit premature to say the South American links are working well when he hasn’t kicked a ball for us yet, the same as Sara!

Surely, we need to wait til we see them before saying it’s working well, after all many people believed the hype about Tzolis being a world beater and look how that turned out! 

It's pre-season, aren't people allowed to get a little optimistic or is that banned now?

Do we need to follow the pissamists?

Win pre season friendly against champions league team - "Don't get carried away, it's just a pre-season friendly, we're still crap, you can't take these games too seriously"
Sign two players, one proven premier league quality, another a record signing, and still have several on the books "We need more CM's, we don't have enough. Why are we signing injured players?"
Lose to a champions league club and last seasons title winners in a double header weekend designed purely for fitness and sharpness - "See, I told you not to get carried away, we're sh!te!!"
Look like signing a non injured CM who looks to have good close ball control and possibly an eye for a pass - "No, not proven. Why are you getting excited? You haven't seen him play yet! He could be rubbish, like the other rubbish players, well, our squad.

Not all of us get carried away, but we all like to pour over possible new signings and new signings and like to see what they may have to offer. Nothing wrong with that, even if the conclusions turn out to be wrong.

Also, some on here were predicting "fire sales" of our players. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, corbs said:

Norwich used to have the biggest Chilean community in Britain outside of London I believe. Viva Allende!

Not sure that's true, imagine Liverpool but there's a healthy population here. Just don't try Cocina Chilena on the Market. As authentic as my Korean cooking.

38 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Funnily enough, I actually had lunch there today. I'm now wondering where I could go tomorrow...

No shortage of quality lunch options in the vicinity of the market and the Lanes, but Cocina Mia is my number one.

Unless I'm in the mood for fish and chips, in which case it's obviously Grosvenor...

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Where are we getting all this money from

The clasp on Delia's Hambag is faulty.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

No shortage of quality lunch options in the vicinity of the market and the Lanes, but Cocina Mia is my number one.

Unless I'm in the mood for fish and chips, in which case it's obvious Grosvenor...

Just remember there's no such thing as 'Curry Empenadas' anywhere... let alone in Chile. 

There is an interesting aspect to this, taking the reports from South America as essentially true, albeit with some wiggle room around the numbers.

With Sara we wanted a loan deal and Sao Paulo insisted on an immediate sale, with the basic non-add-on price of £11m. We then said we wanted a comparitively small first instalment. Sao Paulo insisted on a £6m instalment immediately with the remaining £5m in a year's time. Now with Nunez we apparently offered £2.5m but his club insisted of £3.3m.

In the past the club has been criticised for lowballing offers and not being willing to pay much more after the first rebuff. If true in the past, not so much this summer, it seems.

8 minutes ago, Jason Shackell’s Limp Tack said:

Just remember there's no such thing as 'Curry Empenadas' anywhere... let alone in Chile. 

That should change. I have empanada moulds. I can make Curry.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Brexit has clearly altered the club model. I guess we will see how good our scouts in South America are.

Hopefully better than the ones in Greece😉

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

There is an interesting aspect to this, taking the reports from South America as essentially true, albeit with some wiggle room around the numbers.

With Sara we wanted a loan deal and Sao Paulo insisted on an immediate sale, with the basic non-add-on price of £11m. We then said we wanted a comparitively small first instalment. Sao Paulo insisted on a £6m instalment immediately with the remaining £5m in a year's time. Now with Nunez we apparently offered £2.5m but his club insisted of £3.3m.

In the past the club has been criticised for lowballing offers and not being willing to pay much more after the first rebuff. If true in the past, not so much this summer, it seems.

It could, perhaps, depend upon the ease of which it is to get information?

We are often told that "Norwich have gone back with another offer", "Norwich have put in their final offer"... I guess because we're never told the numbers we don't consider it as seriously?

Ajer is a really good case in point. I'm pretty sure that last summer it whent something a bit like:
- Celtic receive bid for Ajer from Norwich.
- Rumours that Ajer was allowed to speak to Norwich, accepted terms.
- Other interest occurs, Celtic then reject original offer, or perhaps want to renegotiate the terms of it?
- Ajer pieces circulate suggesting he is keen on the move and feels he is being held hostage by the amount Celtic are pushing for.
- Norwich supposedly put in another offer.
- Celtic take offers from other clubs.
- Norwich said to put in their final offer.
- Ajer eventually signs for Brentford.

Now, we're told that the reason we couldn't land him was not paying an additional £2m or something. However, we are also told that we bid £15m for Armstrong. As you have said before Purple, I wonder if a lot of stuff gets lost in the whispers that rumours seem to be. It could all be down to what teams are demanding up front, or that with building interest they feel they can push for more of the fee up front? Which in turn then pushes any deal beyond our reach, rather than it being 100% about final fee, for example. 

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Unlike our two summer signings so far if this gets over the line let us hope this one is actually oven ready to play.

Well, he's not going to play tomorrow. Sara has been training this week so could be contention for the next game. Nunez would, I would think, be hard pushed to make next weeks game. As the signing isn't over the line yet, he'd need to complete a medical, sign a contract and get training. As things stand, he could get that done by the end of play Monday if pushed through ultra fast. He'll be a bit jet lagged and would have to train almost straight away.

Other than that, yes, he's playing in their season right now. 

42 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Bloody hell!

Don't mention the WAR!!! Or the B word... 

This guy looks awesome ,let's hope we can get this one over the line ,he does seem incredibly cheap for the talent he possesses.

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

He's no Buendia, he scores from free kicks!

Maybe he’s rubbish at taking corners, but insists on doing it nonetheless?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Wow - they just can’t win with some, can they….

You just know with some posters, if he scores 5, they’ll say we needed to buy someone who scores 10. If he scores 10, we needed someone to score 15… 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chicken said:

Bloody hell!

Don't mention the WAR!!! Or the B word... 

Sorry, Sir Keir.

Anyway, about these strikes...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pyro Pete said:

Sorry, Sir Keir.

Anyway, about these strikes...

🤣

1 hour ago, chicken said:

It's pre-season, aren't people allowed to get a little optimistic or is that banned now?

Do we need to follow the pissamists?

Win pre season friendly against champions league team - "Don't get carried away, it's just a pre-season friendly, we're still crap, you can't take these games too seriously"
Sign two players, one proven premier league quality, another a record signing, and still have several on the books "We need more CM's, we don't have enough. Why are we signing injured players?"
Lose to a champions league club and last seasons title winners in a double header weekend designed purely for fitness and sharpness - "See, I told you not to get carried away, we're sh!te!!"
Look like signing a non injured CM who looks to have good close ball control and possibly an eye for a pass - "No, not proven. Why are you getting excited? You haven't seen him play yet! He could be rubbish, like the other rubbish players, well, our squad.

Not all of us get carried away, but we all like to pour over possible new signings and new signings and like to see what they may have to offer. Nothing wrong with that, even if the conclusions turn out to be wrong.

Also, some on here were predicting "fire sales" of our players. 

That’s fair enough, but surely people are also allowed to be concerned at not knowing who these players are especially after last seasons Summer signings instead of getting ****ing crucified for being a little wary or is that not allowed either?