Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Have we just bought Marcelino Núñez for $4 million?

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Indeed! I think the main difference at PL level is simply explained by the fact that we don't have the financial resources to compete with other teams in the PL for the same pool of available players. Thus, Webber was always going to have to take more of a risk on (good) players that he had reason to believe could step up to that level rather than "proven" performers. We also have seen that even with proven performers things don't always go well (eg Maguire and Pogba at Man U).

57 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

This 100%. We can’t afford to buy proven players so we have to take punts or so to speak. I also wonder how much we got burned by RvW, Hooper, Naismith et al making us steer away from costly signings that still yield as much return as a punt?

Of course the financial disparity is a definite issue, but I'd also say - if Pukki, Buendia and Skipp were signings coming in to the premier league (rather than the champs), they would've served us better than every PL signing we've actually made! Each of those 3 have shown they are perfectly adept at that level, so why haven't we been able to replicate those acquisitions when we're already in the higher league - its a bit odd! 

So overall our recruitment has still been below par in the premier league even taking stock of the financial mismatch we find ourselves in - there is no other conclusion when we are failing to compete with clubs of a similar stature (Brentford, Watford and Burnley last season). Hopefully after this campaign we get (another) chance to put it right though...

48 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I think this is right and to be fair to Webber (which no one seems to want to) I expect that’s what he tried last season. Presumably he took a calculated risk that ar lease 2 or 3 of Rashica, PLM, Tzolis, Sargent, Normann and Williams would’ve turned out to be premier league quality. As bad as last season was, 2 real quality players with the squad as it stood might have been able to avoid relegation.

Obviously it turned out that absolutely none of them were at premier league standard (at least not yet) so in hindsight looks like a disaster. Although it may have still been a better decision; than putting all our money on 2 known premier league players and they end up being a disaster a La Naismith and us being relegated with the addition of them being a chain around our neck. At least with Webbers gamble we could ditch William and Normann, got some money back on PLM and there is at least some potential in Rashica, Sargent and Tzolis.

Don’t get me wrong i was fuming at our pathetic performance last season, but with time to reflect  and calm down together with building hope for this season I can at least perhaps understand what Webber was trying to do.

I think this is a fairly accurate assessment. I would also say that the great underperformer in terms of expected quality were Rashica, Kabak and Normann. 

I would have expected Rashica to have a larger impact than he did, I think most people looking at his record in the Bundesliga would have also expected that. I don't know many (including non-norwich fans) who thought he wasn't a premier league level signing. 

Kabak also came with a relatively strong reputation. Certainly his time at Liverpool was not really successful, but there was a fairly wide consensus that he would be fine at a lower to mid table side.

With those two underperforming and Normann injured (which was predictable perhaps but he wasn't our first target, that was Billings) we were always in trouble. 

This then increased the focus on two players in particular (Sargent and Tzolis) who probably weren't expected to play a huge part in keeping us up but we're expected to be gradually integrated over the next couple of years and PLM who was cheap reinforcement in the centre but who was unlikely to be the key midfield engine.

Tbh, it went really wrong as we all know, but I don't think it was insane to think we had the elements to potentially stay up.

3 hours ago, horsefly said:

Put him up in a bungalow.

The club need to be open about his travel arrangements. Ideally I'd like him to come here by ship, but if he has to fly then let it be with reputable airlines on scheduled flights. If Blind Mick at Tibenham Gliding Club offers to go and fetch him just politely turn down his offer. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Yep this is the thing, you would think the same level of due diligence was completed prior to Drmic signing as Pukki. So broadly its as fortunate that Pukki and Buendia etc turned into the players they did as it is unfortunate that Gilmour and Drmic etc did not (give or take). 

Overall our recruitment has been pretty mixed under Webber, unfortunately the premier league recruitment has been every bit as bad as our championship has been good (and it has been very good at that level).

So if we are giving 100% credit to the recruitment team for effectively rolling a 6 with Pukki and Buendia, foreseeing that these players would become hugely successful, then we should equally question why they couldn't keep rolling 6s - indeed the only player who comes close over the last 4 seasons is Skipp IMO. 

Or perhaps we should just accept that there is a strong level of luck / various intangible factors which cannot be foreseen when scouting a player. 

I do agree with @horsefly though that these signings clearly not 'punts', more like calculated risks. We know they won't all come good but if we hedge out bets well enough and have a high enough success rate overall then all is well! 

Precisely. And it's part of what gives football such a universal appeal. It's a simple game in principle but which has the ability to shock & surprise as well as providing moments of  total magic (e.g. Emi's goal against Hull).

17 minutes ago, 1902 said:

I think this is a fairly accurate assessment. I would also say that the great underperformer in terms of expected quality were Rashica, Kabak and Normann. 

I would have expected Rashica to have a larger impact than he did, I think most people looking at his record in the Bundesliga would have also expected that. I don't know many (including non-norwich fans) who thought he wasn't a premier league level signing. 

Kabak also came with a relatively strong reputation. Certainly his time at Liverpool was not really successful, but there was a fairly wide consensus that he would be fine at a lower to mid table side.

With those two underperforming and Normann injured (which was predictable perhaps but he wasn't our first target, that was Billings) we were always in trouble. 

This then increased the focus on two players in particular (Sargent and Tzolis) who probably weren't expected to play a huge part in keeping us up but we're expected to be gradually integrated over the next couple of years and PLM who was cheap reinforcement in the centre but who was unlikely to be the key midfield engine.

Tbh, it went really wrong as we all know, but I don't think it was insane to think we had the elements to potentially stay up.

I think you can add Gilmore to that list - everyone expected him to be able to compete at PL level. The fact that he couldn't was a surprise. It will be interesting to see what Forest do this season. With the exception of Lingard and Henderson none of their other new boys are proven performers in the PL - more than that, I would expect most of them to struggle. We probably started last season with more proven PL players (Krul, Aarons, Pukki, Hanley, Cantwell).

I suspect this will be a year when all 3 promoted teams come straight back down rather than just one or two.

It does show that Gilmour (amazing how many spell his name Gilmore) isn't Premiership standard. You can't argue he needs a good player next to him. Yes he had a great game against England, but a full season just showed he didn't have the quality to cut the mustard (& it wasn't about NCFC ruining him!)

On 28/07/2022 at 19:45, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Arguably looks better than Sara in the videos and also has a stronger CV. Only £3m, not injured, so what's the catch? Why are no lower La Liga sides, for example, looking at him?

Yes I think I’d go with that Wacky. A much smoother, more fluid mover, very two-footed, hard runner, nice technique for set pieces (that’s a weapon right there), looks to play ‘heads up’ football, capable of some of everything. 

Looks a great signing at that price and at this level. Some gamble naturally, though lots to like on this one. 

So good in fact that I am slightly concerned that no-one else higher went after him…

Parma 

To be fair you have to consider the level of opposition - presumably quality is a little higher in Brazil, so it might be easier for Nunez to look good.  

That article seems to be a re hash of various tweets. It’s true to say there are stories on Twitter that their coach is very frustrated about him being sold. Which seems positive as it means it’s happening if it’s true. But then if the deal is done I can’t believe we would be allowing him to play one more game with the injury risk that brings. 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

If he packs his bag properly there's an outside chance he might make the bench against Wigan.

Cup against Brum is best bet I would say. 

53 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Yes I think I’d go with that Wacky. A much smoother, more fluid mover, very two-footed, hard runner, nice technique for set pieces (that’s a weapon right there), looks to play ‘heads up’ football, capable of some of everything. 

Looks a great signing at that price and at this level. Some gamble naturally, though lots to like on this one. 

So good in fact that I am slightly concerned that no-one else higher went after him…

Parma 

Looked very one-footed to me but otherwise a very exciting prospect

13 minutes ago, Rottingdean canary said:

Looked very one-footed to me but otherwise a very exciting prospect

Lots of left footed strikes, but notably preferred to use his right foot for free kicks. Very telling. 

Parma 

• Like 2

Played 73 minutes, looks like he was saying goodbye.

https://www.alairelibre.cl/noticias/deportes/futbol/universidad-catolica/y-dale-marcelino-nunez-fue-vitoreado-en-su-ultimo-partido-con-la/2022-07-30/193957.html

The young midfielder Marcelino Núñez was applauded and cheered from the field in his last match with the Universidad Católica jersey , against Cobresal in San Carlos de Apoquindo.

Marcelino left the field in the 72 minutes and gave way to Yamil Asad (who returned to play after almost four months), receiving applause and the chant: "And give him Marcelino" , since he will leave for Norwich City, from the English Championship .

Hope this goes through smoothly, the type of player we are desperately missing. Hopefully he can make the step-up and quickly.

Hopefully this one is nailed on.

We need a wide player now to replace Sargent or Rashica.

Defensive cover also a huge concern. All we need now is an injury to Aarons and Sorensen will be playing in 3 positions!

I like hodge but my god why doesn't he let his guest speak. I now know exactly what kind of player hodge thinks he is without seeing him and very little of what the guest who has seen him play thinks. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

I like hodge but my god why doesn't he let his guest speak more. I now know exactly what kind of player hodge thinks he is without seeing him and very little of what the guest who has seen him play thinks. 

On 29/07/2022 at 21:07, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Very telling. 

In that he can actually use both feet? To kick a ball? Incredibly revealing , yes. 

• Haha 1

Someone posted, I think on the Sara thread, that you can’t have a medical in the UK unless you already have a work permit. Is that true?

10 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Someone posted, I think on the Sara thread, that you can’t have a medical in the UK unless you already have a work permit. Is that true?

Not sure, but it would truly be incompetence of the most extraordinary level for the club to fly him here for a medical without establishing the fact that he will get a work permit. I know there are some who would like think that's possible, but it simply isn't going to happen.

• Like 1