Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Have we just bought Marcelino Núñez for $4 million?

On my 3rd watch of the supercut vid despite telling myself I'd not get excited about these things again after recent seasons.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Nothing to do with that at all, just love how people on this forum think every player they’ve never heard of is good, it’s not a dig at anyone, it’s called waiting to see as I have seen enough players brought in previously that were billed as great yet they were garbage. But hey if you think it’s a dig that’s up to you, and in truth sums up how pathetic this forum is becoming just because somebody has a different opinion to yours.

How many people were creaming their pants about Tzolis as I said? Lots, but as I said that turned out well didn’t it?

That's a bit unfair. We've read the tweet from the guy who lives in S America and follows Chilean football. We've watched the YouTube vid, and read other reports of his abilities. He looks and sounds exactly like the sort of player we need. Of course you can't guarantee he will reproduce that form at City but the optimism of some of us is not without justification. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@TheBaldOne66you think it’s a dig that’s up to you, and in truth sums up how pathetic this forum is becoming just because somebody has a different opinion to yours.  Absolutely spot on with social media and society in general.

Should qualify for a work permit if my calculations are correct. He needs 15 for a work permit, and he gets seven for his international appearances, at least five for his continental appearances and then other bits and bobs domestically, but I'm not sure exactly how many as the system looks quite complicated.

6 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

From Chile you say, I mean is there any reliable sauce? 🤔😅

Apples

If we sign Nunez I think I can be happy with merlot.

• Haha 1

Please let him be fit and ready to play. Looks awesome in the vid but so did tzolis to be fair. Law of averages says we’re due a good un

Edited by Coneys Knee

Unlike our two summer signings so far if this gets over the line let us hope this one is actually oven ready to play.

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Unlike our two summer signings so far if this gets over the line let us hope this one is actually oven ready to play.

We've had enough of "Oven Ready Deals" for one lifetime, thank you very much.#ToryLiars

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Has he got a hamstring problem or anything? Surely we can't break the mould and go for a player who's actually fit to play!? 

Had a back injury that put him out for 6 months at 17, don’t worry we did our research.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Arguably looks better than Sara in the videos and also has a stronger CV. Only £3m, not injured, so what's the catch? Why are no lower La Liga sides, for example, looking at him?

The Chilean too league is league one standard, that’s being generous, that’s probably the reason.

He looks like a world beater in the YouTube video but it is against some pretty woeful defending.

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Arguably looks better than Sara in the videos and also has a stronger CV. Only £3m, not injured, so what's the catch? Why are no lower La Liga sides, for example, looking at him?

He's not even injured!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Gunn

Max

Andrew O

Hanley

Dimi

Hayden

Sara

Cantwell 

Nunez

Rashica 

Pukki

Job done? 

If Nunez and Sara are half as good as most South American football manager signings then that's a ****ing good lineup.

It would **** all over last season's EPL team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Managed by Gus Poyet at Catolica. Married,which is good I feel, as wife will be coming with him I imagine,helping him settle quicker.We can but hope he's as good as he looks on you tube.(I know,I know!!)🤞🤞

Not necessarily. Could be the opposite - if the wife's unhappy, it could trickle over to him. 

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

The Chilean too league is league one standard, that’s being generous, that’s probably the reason.

He looks like a world beater in the YouTube video but it is against some pretty woeful defending.

True, but he's won ten caps for Chile in the last 12 months and they're a pretty strong side. He actually started four of their final six World Cup qualifiers at a time when they were pushing hard for qualification, ultimately falling just short. 

Combined with his age, he looks a fine prospect for just £3m, and I'm surprised there isn't quite a bit of European interest at that price.

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

True, but he's won ten caps for Chile in the last 12 months and they're a pretty strong side. He actually started four of their final six World Cup qualifiers at a time when they were pushing hard for qualification, ultimately falling just short. 

Combined with his age, he looks a fine prospect for just £3m, and I'm surprised there isn't quite a bit of European interest at that price.

I think due to finances of the last few years teams are taking a lot less gambles, maybe in a different time any number of clubs would have been in for him.

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I think due to finances of the last few years teams are taking a lot less gambles, maybe in a different time any number of clubs would have been in for him.

Indeed! Might it just possibly be that a self-financing business model has left the club in a far better financial position than all of our rivals? Or perhaps someone has been digging up Delia's garden and found where she's hidden all the season ticket cash.

I've just been for dinner at Cocina Mia on the market and they didn't know anything about it, so probably just paper talk. Highly recommend the pastel de choclo, though, so it wasn't all bad news.

Weirdly enough, I randomly acquired a Universidad Catolica shirt from a mate a couple of years back, so I'll look forward to weirding him out when I ask him to sign it... 😉

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I've just been for dinner at Cocina Mia on the market and they didn't know anything about it, so probably just paper talk. Highly recommend the pastel de choclo, though, so it wasn't all bad news.

Funnily enough, I actually had lunch there today. I'm now wondering where I could go tomorrow...

• Like 1

Still some "ifs and buts", but I will suggest this: if this comes off in terms of signing, and if he settles down well, won't this have worked out superbly? Under the radar, deal done, link with Curitiba increasing our intelligence of the South American market, and we'll have financed it ourselves - and having put ourselves in a position where we're in a strong financial position even despite a serious pandemic.

And it's the position we needed.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The Brazilian League is a hell of a lot stronger than the Chilean league, so I'm a bit confused with where you are coming from here?

The team we are apparently signing Nunez from have won the Chilean League four years in a row, despite having a ground capacity of 14000.

You are talking about the top league of a country with a population of 14,000,000 versus the top league of a country with a population of 214 million. 

5 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Wow! Sounds like Kone was our back-up and then the first choice became available.

From what I can see, we couldn't agree terms with Kone. I suspect Nunez is a second choice. 

• Like 1

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

From what I can see, we couldn't agree terms with Kone. I suspect Nunez is a second choice. 

Or a bluff🤔 they never wanted Kone😲

When we signed Hayden I was rather worried that most of our recruitment would be led by Smith and would consist of players he knew. Now we have Sara already in from Brazil and the 2 midfielders linked from Chile and the MLS, whether these moves work out only time will tell but they do show the value in the model we have.