Dean Coneys boots

Is Sutton a pant wetter?

Good article today by Chris Sutton in which he shares his concern that last seasons problems are still present and we haven’t found a system to play to Pukki’s strength whilst also having failed to upgrade our attacking options. 

if he was an anonymous forum poster he would have been eviscerated by the usual clappers- so is he a professional giving sage advice or a total pant wetter? Asking for a friend…

Not sure how much attention he's been paying this summer. Think he might be basing it off that 1 game with Celtic where we started 1 of what will likely be out main midfield 3 (McLean) in a role he won't be utilised in.

• Like 1

Well the fundamental difference is that Sutton is merely asking a question/voicing a concern that we all have to a lesser or greater extent re: the hangover.  He isn’t relentlessly beating us over the head with negative post after negative post.  I imagine most can see the difference.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Or he’s actually looked pretty closely and seen very little transfer activity and all the same issues from last season threatening to hamper us again? 

The squad is significantly different to last season's though even with only 2 having come in so far. We're clearly in the market for more too. Michael Bailey has been implying another attacking player is on the cards (I'm thinking right sided winger) as well as the central midfielder Smith has said we're getting.

Wouldn't quite say that making a valid concern based on our friendlies that Pukki is not getting any service and our current formation isn't helping is 'pant wetting'

'Pant wetting' is more 'we are gonna lose our best players and finish 16th Smith is awful will be fired by Christmas' 😉

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 minute ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

The article actually says he’s seen a few of our friendliest, so, no, it’s not just based on the Celtic game it seems

I'm sure he said on comms that he hadn't but I might be remembering wrong. Or maybe he's seen 2, that and Hibs.

6 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Michael Bailey has been implying another attacking player is on the cards

Is this from the podcast? Haven't heard it yet saving it for work tonight!

Edited by Terminally Yellow

The vast majority of ‘ experts ‘ I have read and heard and all the bookmakers ( who don’t give money away ) reckon we will p*** the league.

3 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Is this from the podcast? Haven't heard it yet saving it for work tonight!

Yeah it was. I'm thinking there's more to it than just his reading of the squad /preseason too.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was a loan.

• Like 1

Sutton said pretty much the same thing first half against Celtic and many on here share the same concerns.

The response was you can't pay any attention to pre season friendlies. So we will wait for the season to begin and see whose wrong.

I have a general feeling of uneasiness regarding this season.   Incoming transfers are question marks imo, particularly Sara - although I wouldn't fancy being tasked to replace Buendia, which is almost an impossible task.

So in summary, I'd say my pants are moist, but not fully soaked yet.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Orly said:

I wouldn't fancy being tasked to replace Buendia, which is almost an impossible task.

Not sure he has been tbh. Presumably going to be playing a different position in a very different system.

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

Not sure he has been tbh. Presumably going to be playing a different position in a very different system.

My bad phrasing - I meant that I have some sympathy for Webber (who is tasked with replacing Buendia).

But yeh, I imagine the 'different system' is very true - from some of the videos he seems to be the Brazilian 'Jason Jarret'.  Hopefully he'll do a bit better for us than ol' Jason though.

1 minute ago, Orly said:

My bad phrasing - I meant that I have some sympathy for Webber (who is tasked with replacing Buendia).

But yeh, I imagine the 'different system' is very true - from some of the videos he seems to be the Brazilian 'Jason Jarret'.  Hopefully he'll do a bit better for us than ol' Jason though.

Got ya.

I don't actually think he'll have thought of any individual signing as a Buendia replacement. I think he knew he wasn't getting a player that good so tried to strengthen throughout. Technically he did manage that last year too (don't laugh), as much as everyone in that squad was awful we still got a point more without him. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Well b back said:

The vast majority of ‘ experts ‘ I have read and heard and all the bookmakers ( who don’t give money away ) reckon we will p*** the league.

The difference being that Sutton actually seems to follow us and generally has a decent grasp on what's going on at the club.

He's generally pretty spot on and hasn't been shy to praise us when its due.

The stark reality is that we probably needed somebody to come along with £20m for Max Aarons to restructure the team and further strengthen other areas of the pitch, and nobody has come along. 

• Like 1

Although there is a while to go before the transfer window shuts, the lack of incoming players does seem odd. I don't believe there isn't a coach who doesn't want half a dozen new players.

Unless of course the Board have said we must sell and so far we haven't brought a great deal of money in.

It is probably where this season hangs in the balance. So he is right to highlight it.

I would say defence and keeper fine, the attacking options fine. McLean, Sorensen and Hayden should provide a decent midfield shield.

It is the creative players Cantwell, Dowell, Rashica, Sinani, Josh etc.. I would not say any of them are guaranteed 10 goal 10 assist territory. Do they have the potential to hit those marks sure but I think you can argue both ways for all of them. Plus throw in they may leave before the window ends.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The difference being that Sutton actually seems to follow us and generally has a decent grasp on what's going on at the club.

He's generally pretty spot on and hasn't been shy to praise us when its due.

It's funny how people see things differently. I've never found Sutton a particularly insightful pundit when it comes to Norwich City. He's better than most in the mainstream sports media but that obviously isn't saying much. 

If we're talking former Norwich strikers as pundits/commentators I do rate Efan Ekoku.

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Good article today by Chris Sutton in which he shares his concern that last seasons problems are still present and we haven’t found a system to play to Pukki’s strength whilst also having failed to upgrade our attacking options. 

if he was an anonymous forum poster he would have been eviscerated by the usual clappers- so is he a professional giving sage advice or a total pant wetter? Asking for a friend…

No, he is just a bloke who makes a living out of giving his opinion, he is no more an expert on Norwich City than somebody who goes to a lot of games, he only gets asked because of his links to Norwich/Norfolk.........

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Or he’s actually looked pretty closely and seen very little transfer activity and all the same issues from last season threatening to hamper us again? 

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Although there is a while to go before the transfer window shuts, the lack of incoming players does seem odd. I don't believe there isn't a coach who doesn't want half a dozen new players.

Unless of course the Board have said we must sell and so far we haven't brought a great deal of money in.

Last season we bought lots of players and posters said we should have spent on quality, not quantity. This season we buy two players, one with proven PL heritage, the other an admired overseas player, and we are strongly rumoured to buy one, maybe two more. But posters complain that we should be buying more.

Which one is it? Quality or quantity? Because I would hope everyone realises that we can’t afford both.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Last season we bought lots of players and posters said we should have spent on quality, not quantity. This season we buy two players, one with proven PL heritage, the other an admired overseas player, and we are strongly rumoured to buy one, maybe two more. But posters complain that we should be buying more.

Which one is it? Quality or quantity? Because I would hope everyone realises that we can’t afford both.

I dont think anyone would be complaining about either of the new signings IF they were fit to play and could hit the ground running. The concenr is that Sara has been injured and has had no pre season or chance to join in the team. There seems to be a real risk that Hayden will be a crock.

Therefore we are starting with a midfield which is weaker than last season (and that was our biggest weakness anyhow!)

He may have a point, he may not. Whichever it is the failure to score against Celtic has given him something to write about.

But let's not forget we scored three against Marseille.....you either have to disregard both results or think they are both significant, not a mixture of the two to suit.

It may well be that we start the season slowly and gather momentum into 2023, that wouldn't be the end of the world as its how it happened in 18/19 and 20/21. Our squad looks better than anything else in the league but only the league table after 46 games will determine if we really are.

• Like 2

It's one thing to say we'll start the season with a midfield weaker than last season (which I agree it is) but it's another thing to see where we'll be by the time the window closes in 5 weeks or so.

The market is incredibly slow, and the closer we get to the window closing the more clubs are willing to let fringe players go. I suspect (& hope) that we'll stock up in midfield with CM & maybe AM by the time we get to this point. Also hope that the powers that be recognise Hayden might not come off, and look to provide cover/alternatives if his injuries don't heal up.

Just read this article that Villa might be looking to offload (loan) El Ghazi because there are no suitors at £15m. Seems similar to Aarons in that clubs aren't willing to pay clubs valuations.

Not saying he's the answer, but on a loan and playing for an old manager he could prove useful for the season ahead, as a right side attacking midfielder. IMO I'm just not convinced Sargent will get goals or assists, but would love to be wrong.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/07/27/report-aston-villa-ready-to-make-surprise-decision-on-15m-smith-signing/ 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Wouldn't quite say that making a valid concern based on our friendlies that Pukki is not getting any service and our current formation isn't helping is 'pant wetting'

'Pant wetting' is more 'we are gonna lose our best players and finish 16th Smith is awful will be fired by Christmas' 😉

at last, you wrote something i agree with.

2 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

I'm just not convinced Sargent will get goals or assists, but would love to be wrong.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/07/27/report-aston-villa-ready-to-make-surprise-decision-on-15m-smith-signing/ 

I could see him scoring a few goals with his head, especially from set pieces. And he does have a knack of being in the right place at times (although then tends to get his feet in a muddle).

I can't see many assists, though. He just doesn't have the technical quality.

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I could see him scoring a few goals with his head, especially from set pieces. And he does have a knack of being in the right place at times (although then tends to get his feet in a muddle).

I can't see many assists, though. He just doesn't have the technical quality.

I know it was that Bournemouth game but I seem to remember him getting a nice assist in that to go with his goals. I think he's like Placheta in a way and needs to stop thinking about and just 'put it in an area'.

I actually tend to agree with Sutton, and have had such thoughts for a while, to the extent that I am surprised that there has been no transfer activity on that front. I feel that we are underestimating Championship defenders and that our approach to the striking problem is a bit risky, to say the least. So much depends upon Pukki doing yet another Pukki, Idah coming good at last, Sargent suddenly turning into a goalscorer and Hugill's head, and all these factors coming good against some decent defences.

Hugill seemed determined to prove he has a place in the squad and  has probably justified just that ... but surely only as an impact sub and not the starting striker of a team aiming for promotion from the Championship.

We have to hope Idah stays fit and functions up to expectations, whilst the Sarge might well chip in more than expected, but seems unlikely to be prolific.

With the extra subs to be allowed, a decent 'sniffer' wouldn't go amiss, imo. 

Edited by BroadstairsR