Jump to content

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

So two days to go and back to square one… 

The window doesn't close for a month and the city of Norwich won't implode if we don't sign a midfielder before Saturday you absolute marshmallow.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

absolute marshmallow.

This made me smile - insult of the year for me so far 😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

The window doesn't close for a month and the city of Norwich won't implode if we don't sign a midfielder before Saturday you absolute marshmallow.

But points dropped between now and then will still count at the end of the season and could easily be the difference between success and failure you absolute walnut whip! 

And regardless of what insults people want to hurl at me- I for one think we are fairly short of what is required in midfield for Saturday and one injury away from disaster 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

The window doesn't close for a month and the city of Norwich won't implode if we don't sign a midfielder before Saturday you absolute marshmallow.

Though it’s very true, but we play seven league games before the the transfer window shuts, if by chance we get an injury to McLean, Sara possibly won’t be match fit for another month, Hayden out, it leaves us very short and could be a very tough start to a pivotal season!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I for one think we are fairly short of what is required in midfield for Saturday and one injury away from disaster 

Not just any old marshmallow. A marshmallow that has spilled from its package and spent weeks collecting grit and fluff in an old man's garden jacket.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

But points dropped between now and then will still count at the end of the season and could easily be the difference between success and failure you absolute walnut whip! 

And regardless of what insults people want to hurl at me- I for one think we are fairly short of what is required in midfield for Saturday and one injury away from disaster 

So if we are short of what is required on Saturday are you nailing your non rainbow colours to the mast and saying you’ll predict we will lose or draw? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

But points dropped between now and then will still count at the end of the season and could easily be the difference between success and failure you absolute walnut whip! 

And regardless of what insults people want to hurl at me- I for one think we are fairly short of what is required in midfield for Saturday and one injury away from disaster 

You're trying too hard. 

13 minutes ago, Indy said:

Though it’s very true, but we play seven league games before the the transfer window shuts, if by chance we get an injury to McLean, Sara possibly won’t be match fit for another month, Hayden out, it leaves us very short and could be a very tough start to a pivotal season!

How many points did we get from the first how many games last time, before storming away with this league again?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think we're short of midfielders per se......but I get what is meant. Maybe IF an injury does happen mite help a bit. Poss gonna start with a 433. But maybe a 4231 is better for us......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mbncfcs next tweet was to clarify that it wasnt that we couldnt afford Kone,  more that he was over priced for his ability,  which is a subtle difference.

 

It does suggest that we do have further funds for the right player to come in.   Still a few weeks to go yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Not just any old marshmallow. A marshmallow that has spilled from its package and spent weeks collecting grit and fluff in an old man's garden jacket.

Ah that’s where it went.😜

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If I’m honest paying big ish wages to an unproven player is not in our model and if we’ve taken Sara on this basis already it seems too high a risk to do it twice. This is sensible and I’m glad the club are not being driven by agent demands 

Am very interested in the list of targets though 

Edited by SwearyCanary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the reports are that Sara is essentially fit, and could even make the bench for Cardiff (unlikely I would have thought but who knows). Dowell also reputedly should be fit. Smith has been singing the praises of Gibbs in today's press. So in the short term we seem to have Sara, Sorensen, McClean, Sinani, Cantwell, Gibbs available for the middle three (if we go 4-3-3).  But of course as Rugby said above there are also options for 4-2-3-1. Clearly the club are working hard to get another midfielder in asap, but I for one am pleased they are showing they aren't going to spaff huge quantities of cash for a player who they don't consider to be worth the money being demanded (Kone). I seriously don't think it's time to be predicting a disaster quite yet; wait until we get a draw at Cardiff and then the usual suspects can tell us that the season is over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

But points dropped between now and then will still count at the end of the season and could easily be the difference between success and failure you absolute walnut whip! 

And regardless of what insults people want to hurl at me- I for one think we are fairly short of what is required in midfield for Saturday and one injury away from disaster 

You're a (two fingered) KitKat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

But points dropped between now and then will still count at the end of the season 

Not to be pedantic but points dropped DON'T count at all 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MB has said we had already agreed a fee with Montreal and it was the player demands/ agent demands that we couldn't contend with.

Time will tell if that was a good decision. For me, I would have expected us to go for someone a bit more battle-hardened with less to prove anyway. If we're going for 20yo midfielder in the Championship, probably just as sensible to stick with Gibbs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Sadly, much like in ability to secure Ajer only new investment can break our cycle of failure.

It's not that we couldn't afford him; it's that we thought he wasn't worth what he/his agent thinks he is. Move on and get someone you're convinced by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Not to be pedantic but points dropped DON'T count at all 😉

Blimey! What are you like when you are pedantic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Sadly, much like in ability to secure Ajer only new investment can break our cycle of failure.

Wahey! Highland is back! When does the fire sale start? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

These opening games are vital, Cardiff, their manager, their squad and its additions should not be underestimated. 

I get the impression that our squad for the day will suddenly become a makeshift arrangement for the defensive midfield requirements and will be reliant upon that 'jack of all trades master of none' Kenny McLean, the enigma that is Sorensen and a youngster who is a total rookie to operate against what should be a fairly well-drilled attack.

The whole of the footballing world knew that it was a narrow window between both season's games, yet we will have gained not one single new player for Saturday's starter.

In the meantime Webber has been on a wild goose chase all the way to Canada, our manager has, as usual, had to make the most of other's signings and our prospects look less rosy by the week.

Such a slapdash approach will not three points gain ... and they do actually count towards the season's outcome.

I'm getting the distinct impression that this Sruart Webber character is not really a footballing man. PR, bull shine, me me me and false promises seem to be his forte.

I had forgotten the Times thing and was prepared to give it another go with him, but it's just the same old shambles.

Saturday will reveal all. We'll all be watching, one way or another.

 

Edited by BroadstairsR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

These opening games are vital, Cardiff, their manager, their squad and its additions should not be underestimated. 

I get the impression that our squad for the day will suddenly become a makeshift arrangement for the defensive midfield requirements and will be reliant upon that 'jack of all trades master of none' Kenny McLean, the enigma that is Sorensen and a youngster who is a total rookie to operate against what should be a fairly well-drilled attack.

The whole of the footballing world knew that it was a narrow window between both season's games, yet we will have gained not one single new player for Saturday's starter.

In the meantime Webber has been on a wild goose chase all the way to Canada, our manager has, as usual, had to make the most of other's signings and our prospects look less rosy by the week.

Such a slapdash approach will not three points gain ... and they do actually count towards the season's outcome.

 

Except in the Championship, McClean is an excellent and versatile midfielder. Sorensen has played well out of position before and at some point you do have to actually play your youngsters in a competitive fixture if you are to find out what they are about.

I'm well aware that we are short a midfielder, but 5 players for two spots, 1 of which is a true youngster is probably what you would expect in the championship. 

I just don't understand how big people expect our squad to be.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

But points dropped between now and then will still count at the end of the season and could easily be the difference between success and failure you absolute walnut whip! 

And regardless of what insults people want to hurl at me- I for one think we are fairly short of what is required in midfield for Saturday and one injury away from disaster 

Agree 100%. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Except in the Championship, McClean is an excellent and versatile midfielder. Sorensen has played well out of position before and at some point you do have to actually play your youngsters in a competitive fixture if you are to find out what they are about.

I'm well aware that we are short a midfielder, but 5 players for two spots, 1 of which is a true youngster is probably what you would expect in the championship. 

I just don't understand how big people expect our squad to be.

I was hoping it would be better not bigger. Its not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Kenny Foggo said:

I was hoping it would be better not bigger. Its not.

Why would our championship squad be substantially better than our premier league squad? That's completely unrealistic

Hayden is a better midfielder than any we had last season. He is not god, but he is a genuine premier league standard player. Sara we haven't seen so no idea how he will work out. So what have we lost in reality, Rupp and PLM? 

So that's one player who was injured half the time and getting on a bit and another who we sold for 3.5 million and we are clearly looking to replace.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Except in the Championship, McClean is an excellent and versatile midfielder. Sorensen has played well out of position before and at some point you do have to actually play your youngsters in a competitive fixture if you are to find out what they are about.

 

I just don't understand how big people expect our squad to be.

Not squad size 1902, but surely you are, amongst others, underestimating our opposition. A Cardiff side, tipped to struggle, who will be fully up for it, in front of a big crowd and who would want a scalp.

A versatile McClean, an out of position (depth?) Sorensen and a rookie could be just what they fancy as an opener.

We'll see. If we end up with egg on our face on Saturday, I, for one, will blame yet another poor (sloppy?) window.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, horsefly said:

I believe the reports are that Sara is essentially fit, and could even make the bench for Cardiff (unlikely I would have thought but who knows). Dowell also reputedly should be fit. Smith has been singing the praises of Gibbs in today's press. So in the short term we seem to have Sara, Sorensen, McClean, Sinani, Cantwell, Gibbs available for the middle three (if we go 4-3-3).  But of course as Rugby said above there are also options for 4-2-3-1. Clearly the club are working hard to get another midfielder in asap, but I for one am pleased they are showing they aren't going to spaff huge quantities of cash for a player who they don't consider to be worth the money being demanded (Kone). I seriously don't think it's time to be predicting a disaster quite yet; wait until we get a draw at Cardiff and then the usual suspects can tell us that the season is over. 

Bearing in mind we now have five subs per match, I wouldn't rule out Sara getting twenty minutes at the back end of the game. Would be a nice way to blood him in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Not squad size 1902, but surely you are, amongst others, underestimating our opposition. A Cardiff side, tipped to struggle, who will be fully up for it, in front of a big crowd and who would want a scalp.

A versatile McClean, an out of position (depth?) Sorensen and a rookie could be just what they fancy as an opener.

We'll see. If we end up with egg on our face on Saturday, I, for one, will blame yet another poor (sloppy?) window.

 

I'm not, it's going to be a difficult season and we are going to have to fight for any result. However we are not going to go through the whole season with a full strength 11, we will play youngsters and players out of position and sometimes it will work. 

It's just a strange fallacy to think that your players should be fully fit on day 1. It makes no sense to feel that you should have everyone raring to go in the first match of the season but accept that injuries will happen by the twentieth. 

Edited by 1902

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Not squad size 1902, but surely you are, amongst others, underestimating our opposition. A Cardiff side, tipped to struggle, who will be fully up for it, in front of a big crowd and who would want a scalp.

A versatile McClean, an out of position (depth?) Sorensen and a rookie could be just what they fancy as an opener.

We'll see. If we end up with egg on our face on Saturday, I, for one, will blame yet another poor (sloppy?) window.

Oh do give it a rest. The season hasn't even begun and you're already slapping around the blame like a giddy child in a sweet shop.

A bad first game a season does not make.

One player out injured for the season's start does not a poor window make.

We have plenty of cover in central midfield and most championship sides would take our central midfield over theres.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a long, grind of a season.

It's never easy although Farke made it look it sometimes.

The fact we've not signed a player who, those moaning have never watched play, and was never likely to be ready for Cardiff anyway, isn't going to make or break our season.

The good news for DCB and co is that if we do lose, this will be seen as a nice easy, viable thing to slate the club for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...