TeemuVanBasten

Lots of people writing off Sargent...

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

To be fair, Marco Stiepermann couldn't do any of those thingsĀ 

I remember saying Sargent was, in a way, a Stiepermann upgrade but out on a wing and some were thinking "WTF, TGS!?"

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I remember saying Sargent was, in a way, a Stiepermann upgrade but out on a wing and some were thinking "WTF, TGS!?"

Stiepermann was technically superior to Sargent though. He wasn't a conventional number ten, but at least he could play a pass and had the technical ability to strike the ball well.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Stiepermann was technically superior to Sargent though. He wasn't a conventional number ten, but at least he could play a pass and had the technical ability to strike the ball well.

He was a better shot, and capable of pulling some risky passes off, absolutely. Was annoyingly bad in the air for his height though, and even in the first Farke title-winning season, his workrate wasn't on Sargent's level. He'd clearly been hit very hard by his struggles with Epstein-Barr and indeed long Covid and looked a pale imitation afterwards.

We never really replaced Stiepi at number 10 though, did we?

I've probably said this already on this thread but Sargent's only hope of making it here is to concentrate on being a big lump up front, a la Deehan, Rosario, Roberts, Dublin, Holt. If he continues to believe he can be a playa he can **** off. The man has no redeeming skills as a quality footballer whatsoever. In short, he should go and learn to be a lump up front at Bolton / Barnsley or wherever, not here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

I've probably said this already on this thread but Sargent's only hope of making it here is to concentrate on being a big lump up front, a la Deehan, Rosario, Roberts, Dublin, Holt. If he continues to believe he can be a playa he can **** off. The man has no redeeming skills as a quality footballer whatsoever. In short, he should go and learn to be a lump up front at Bolton / Barnsley or wherever, not here.

Deehan??!...how dare you!

My first boyhood hero and was anything but a 'bigĀ lump up front' !

Still the clubs top flight top scorer

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Deehan??!...how dare you!

My first boyhood hero and was anything but a 'bigĀ lump up front' !

Still the clubs top flight top scorer

I apologise if i came across as disaparaging about these players; in my clumsiness I just meant all these players made the most of their limited technical abilities, finding their niche and becoming fan's favourites.Ā Sargent and those around him seem to make out he has some kind of gift, which we can all see is not a wide man or ball player. The sooner all recognise that the sooner Norwich can get on with playingĀ people who can do a job for the side in the right position. And that for him means as a lump up the front, which eventually may see him become that fan's favourite and even a top striker and scorer of goals.Ā 

Are we saying in terms of his performance that this is it - this is as good as it gets ā€¦ or is he a work in progress that with a bit ( or quite a lot) of personal coaching could turn out to be a decent player. I dunno. Each time I see him play I change my mind about him several times in the course of a game.

Incidentally, is there much individual coaching and skills practice time these days. Team mates and coaches of someĀ Ā of the top players have often commented that eg x often stayed behind after training to practice and perfect a particular skill - but I wonder how much of that goes on now.

6 hours ago, Silver Canary said:

Are we saying in terms of his performance that this is it - this is as good as it gets ā€¦ or is he a work in progress that with a bit ( or quite a lot) of personal coaching could turn out to be a decent player. I dunno. Each time I see him play I change my mind about him several times in the course of a game.

Incidentally, is there much individual coaching and skills practice time these days. Team mates and coaches of someĀ Ā of the top players have often commented that eg x often stayed behind after training to practice and perfect a particular skill - but I wonder how much of that goes on now.

Wasnā€™t that what Soccerbot was all about, yet to see anybody in it

Ā 

13 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

. Each time I see him play I change my mind about him several times in the course of a game.

This.

Please stop with the ā€œSargent will be great in the Championship ā€œ spiel. He has some good qualities, like his work rate, but where does he fit into the Norwich team? I just donā€™t get what he is being asked to do for the side? There may be a place for him in English soccer, just not here.

18 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

Please stop with the ā€œSargent will be great in the Championship ā€œ spiel. He has some good qualities, like his work rate, but where does he fit into the Norwich team? I just donā€™t get what he is being asked to do for the side? There may be a place for him in English soccer, just not here.

I'd like to know who scouted him and what they saw to justify such a big outlay.šŸ˜¬

Can't score, doesn't assist but has a bit of physicality about him and good work rate. Bit out there but could he be the CDM we need with a bit of retraining? Nope? šŸ˜‚

Biggest load of rubbish since ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦..canā€™t yet think of anyone who is worse, and there are many to choose from.

Feel sorry for him as even at this level his is not going to make it.

5 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Can't score, doesn't assist but has a bit of physicality about him and good work rate. Bit out there but could he be the CDM we need with a bit of retraining? Nope? šŸ˜‚

This is not so ridiculous. Joelinton at Newcastle was a player arriving as aĀ Ā£40m striker whoā€™s lack of goal scoring and general ability led to many questioning the figure as some kind of elaborate Mike Ashley money laundering scheme. Eddie Howe has transformed him into a CDM to great effect last season and heā€™s a fan favourite.

Sargent canā€™t play a 5 yard pass though so Iā€™d doubt the base skill is there to do this.Ā 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WD40 said:

This is not so ridiculous. Joelinton at Newcastle was a player arriving as aĀ Ā£40m striker whoā€™s lack of goal scoring and general ability led to many questioning the figure as some kind of elaborate Mike Ashley money laundering scheme. Eddie Howe has transformed him into a CDM to great effect last season and heā€™s a fan favourite.

Sargent canā€™t play a 5 yard pass though so Iā€™d doubt the base skill is there to do this.Ā 

If Smith feels he can do nothing with him - and most would sympathise if they were in his position - would Webber allow Dean to in effect write him off, given the very highĀ amount - by our standards - that was paid for him?Ā 

Maybe an ad could be placed in the Exchange & Mart 'Player who works hard with no end product seeks football club to flatter to deceive.' How much do they charge for a sentence these days?Ā 

He seemed to be popular with a lot of Werder Bremen fans who rated him. He was no worse than anyone else in the PL,Ā soĀ Ā maybe give the guy a chance of a few games in the Champs before he's written off.

• Like 1

I can see him on the bench brought on to run around, chase down and work hard to protect a lead when the 'show ponies' have done their bit.

7 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I can see him on the bench brought on to run around, chase down and work hard to protect a lead when the 'show ponies' have done their bit.

Good point there's no doubting his work rate.

Ā 

31 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

You don't spend Ā£9M on somebody to do that.Ā 

This has almost turned into an OTT witch-hunt against a young man (player) now vilified in the extreme.

Extreme and unnecessary. He's one of us, after all.

Some usual scapegoaters are revelling in an orgy of virtual abuse, but what does it achieve?

For a start, he's not nearly as bad a footballer as some seem to enjoy making out. He has strengths and skills, have no doubt.Ā 

Come on Josh. You might not be a Ā£9m player, andĀ that price-tag isĀ hardly your fault, but you have enough about you as a person and on the field of play to silence the insults.

Watch this space.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

This has almost turned into an OTT witch-hunt against a young man (player) now vilified in the extreme.

Extreme and unnecessary. He's one of us, after all.

Some usual scapegoaters are revelling in an orgy of virtual abuse, but what does it achieve?

For a start, he's not nearly as bad a footballer as some seem to enjoy making out. He has strengths and skills, have no doubt.Ā 

Come on Josh. You might not be a Ā£9m player, andĀ that price-tag isĀ hardly your fault, but you have enough about you as a person and on the field of play to silence the insults.

Watch this space.

Ā£9M is a lot of money for a 'self funding' club and every penny has to be spent wisely. On evidence up to this point, he has arguably been pound for pound the worst purchaseĀ we have ever made. That isn't being rude, just telling it how it is. Nothing personal.Ā 

Webber has made a huge howler. A player bought for the Top Tier that may not even be good enough for the 2nd is very bad news.Ā The best we can hope for is that he does start to perform, but if you were Dean Smith, would you risk playing him?

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, komakino said:

Ā£9M is a lot of money for a 'self funding' club and every penny has to be spent wisely. On evidence up to this point, he has arguably been pound for pound the worst purchaseĀ we have ever made. That isn't being rude, just telling it how it is. Nothing personal.Ā 

Webber has made a huge howler. A player bought for the Top Tier that may not even be good enough for the 2nd is very bad news.Ā The best we can hope for is that he does start to perform, but if you were Dean Smith, would you risk playing him?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā£8m, Tzolis was Ā£9m.Ā 

And as much as it might be a fair whack for us, it certainly isn't in the grand scheme of things. Ā£8m would maybe buy you a promising young league one scorer these days. That's the reality of it.

Armstrong to Southampton was Ā£15m...Ā 

29 minutes ago, komakino said:

Ā 

Ā 

Pity the reserve league has long gone, would have given him regular game time, U23 is not the same. Years ago STĀ holders were allowed in free, used to get news of goals in Cityā€™s away match.

• Like 1

Just now, CANARYKING said:

Pity the reserve league has long gone, would have given him regular game time, U23 is not the same. Years ago STĀ holders were allowed in free, used to get news of goals in Cityā€™s away match.

Good point.Ā 

If you were out of form, you got dropped into the reserves.Ā 

If you played well in the reserves, you could get into the first team.Ā 

How easyĀ is that?Ā 

17 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Perhaps it wouldĀ also stop the manyĀ loans by the biggest clubs, for their own benefit, and they could try developing their own players instead.

Edited by Yellow Wal
Clarity

58 minutes ago, komakino said:

Ā 

Ā 

The annoying thing is he comes across as a really nice lad and he works his socks off too , but he doesn't even seem good enough for the championship and don't see us ever dropping down to league 1 again .šŸ¤”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Canary dwarf said:

The annoying thing is he comes across as a really nice lad and he works his socks off too , but he doesn't even seem good enough for the championship and don't see us ever dropping down to league 1 again .šŸ¤”

Don't underestimate Smith.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, komakino said:

Ā 

Ā 

Didn't we get more than Ā£9m for Josh Murphy? I guess it does occasionally work both ways...

On 03/08/2022 at 15:22, komakino said:

On evidence up to this point, he has arguably been pound for pound the worst purchaseĀ we have ever made.

Woah!!!!! I give you RVW and Steven Naismith. Compared to those two Sargent is an absolute steal at Ā£8m.

17 hours ago, Grando said:

Didn't we get more than Ā£9m for Josh Murphy? I guess it does occasionally work both ways...

We also got Ā£11m for Redmond; Ā£6m for Grabban and Bradley Johnson; similar for Pritchard, a stonking Ā£25m for Godfrey and, the best of the lot, Ā£15m for Lewis. All of them also massively over-valued at the time of their sale.