TeemuVanBasten

Lots of people writing off Sargent...

2 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Wonder if sarge would be better played as the 10 instead of wide right. 

Think he'd be better off played as another clubs player to be fair 

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

First touch would be the biggest problem. Then his vision,  passing, shooting and control a close second.

Still think he could be effective in this league but yet to show it.

5 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

A number 10? Come on, you must be joking. A number 10 needs to be able to do things like control a ball, pass a ball, trap a ball. There was one moment in the game today. A high ball to the wing. Almost any attacking or midfield player (or even defender) in the top two divisions could have controlled it. Could Sargent? Whoops. Out it went for a throw-in to them. OK, everyone screws up occasionally. But you can put your money on Sargent screwing up. 

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

First touch would be the biggest problem. Then his vision,  passing, shooting and control a close second.

I often think of this when I see your posts 😉

05onfire1_xp-superJumbo-v2.jpg

• Haha 1

I think if we had bought him for about 2 million I would be happy having him as a squad player 

However the money we did spend is proving to be far to much

we had the money last season but webbers magic touch ran out with last seasons signings 

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

I think if we had bought him for about 2 million I would be happy having him as a squad player 

However the money we did spend is proving to be far to much

we had the money last season but webbers magic touch ran out with last seasons signings 

We were warned against signing him aswell but Mr Mountain went ahead with it anyway 

12 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

A number 10? Come on, you must be joking. A number 10 needs to be able to do things like control a ball, pass a ball, trap a ball. There was one moment in the game today. A high ball to the wing. Almost any attacking or midfield player (or even defender) in the top two divisions could have controlled it. Could Sargent? Whoops. Out it went for a throw-in to them. OK, everyone screws up occasionally. But you can put your money on Sargent screwing up. 

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

18 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Think he'd be better off played as another clubs player to be fair 

All fair, was more just trying to think aloud at what he could actually do for us, maybe we can convert him into a no nonsense center half 🤣

He provides neither a goal threat nor any creativity

A waste of time , at least hernandez might beat a man and get a cross in or Sinani may pop up with a goal 

Sorry folks but Weder Bremen had a field day with us last summer

I really would love him to turn it around but as I said before he signed, a guy that doesn't even stand out in Concacaf against the likes of Haiti and El Salvador is nowhere near the level we need. 

Sadly lower champs / league one is probably the level. Hopefully the potential is found at some point as basic technique, football brain and finishing are not there

Nowhere near good enough. Great attitude, strength and pace aren't enough. He needs positional sense, tactical awareness and most importantly a good 1st touch. Jeez, he can trap a ball further than I can kick one.

League 1 standard? No.

League 2 standard? No.

Non-league? Depends what level you're talking about.

£ for £ he is the WORST signing this club has ever made and whoever scouted him should be sacked along with Mr Mountain

21 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Nowhere near good enough. Great attitude, strength and pace aren't enough. He needs positional sense, tactical awareness and most importantly a good 1st touch. Jeez, he can trap a ball further than I can kick one.

League 1 standard? No.

League 2 standard? No.

£ for £ he is the WORST signing this club has ever made and whoever scouted him should be sacked along with Mr Mountain

It's really hard to see just why anyone would think Sargent is worth 8m or whatever we paid. I can only assume it was mainly decided from statistics on paper, not by someone actually watching the player on grass.

17 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

It's really hard to see just why anyone would think Sargent is worth 8m or whatever we paid. I can only assume it was mainly decided from statistics on paper, not by someone actually watching the player on grass.

Completely agree with the above. Too much emphasis on data and stats these days, what about good old fashioned scouting and watching the player. Im sure that probably happened too, so whoever did it needs the chop. If you want someone with a great attitude look at everyone's CV, they'll all tell you they have this. And for strength and pace read Geoff Capes and Linford Christie, either of those are probably better than Sargent

On 31/07/2022 at 08:11, Don’t be Krul said:

Completely agree with the above. Too much emphasis on data and stats these days, what about good old fashioned scouting and watching the player. Im sure that probably happened too, so whoever did it needs the chop. If you want someone with a great attitude look at everyone's CV, they'll all tell you they have this. And for strength and pace read Geoff Capes and Linford Christie, either of those are probably better than Sargent

Sargent wasn't even remarkable from a stats perspective. Certainly not the event data which is the standard. There was talk the club had been using running stats and the like to find players who had the required physical ability for the PL.  

Even more after Saturday!  Can’t see what he brings to a game. Yes works hard, but without talent, what good is that alone.

Phil Silvers as Sergeant Bilko would be better.

Shocking waste of money we can not afford to waste... See absolutely no reason why we bought the guy.

I feel sorry for him as he seems a good bloke and works hard but just nowhere near good enough.

I think there is a good player there somewhere, but he needs guidence and confidence.
Last season there were far too many times he was in the right positions but was too indecisive not knowing whether to put his laces through it or to play it off to someone else, he then had the ball taken off him whilst deliberating.

I think with a bit of confidence he'd have more shots and as such more goals. Or have someone training him onto making better decisions.
To be fair he will have a bit more time this season to make decisions BUT he needs the confidence to make them. His running and pulling defenders out with him is great, but ultimetly they'll stop tracking him if they dont see him as a threat! I'd like to see him more moulded into a striker role rather than winger, and I can see him becoming a CamJam type player.

The lad doesn't have a good first touch, doesn't seem to have an instinctive shot, doesn't link play particularly well, can't cross well, isn't exceptionally quick, tall or strong and has been a poor signing from when he first arrived.

Yet for some reason I still think he could end up being a very useful player this season - I thought it before the Cardiff game and it seems illogical to make conclusions after one game.

On 31/07/2022 at 07:27, Don’t be Krul said:

League 1 standard? No.

League 2 standard? No.

So that's a maybe then ?

• Haha 1

The TalkNorwichCity boys and Alan Nixon  seem to have it on good authority we were also offered him for 4m at the start of the window which we didn't take up and we ended up paying 8m later in the window as we got desperate. Another Webber transfer masterclass. I personally wouldn't spend 400k on him and I think we can all see why the fans of his previous club were laughing when we purchased him. Genuinely no better than Marley Watkins. 

And to think Webber slated McNally for wasting money! 

The guy should hold his hands up and say Sargent was an awful signing where HE pissed the money up the wall

3 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

And to think Webber slated McNally for wasting money! 

The guy should hold his hands up and say Sargent was an awful signing where HE pissed the money up the wall

It’s quite concerning however that even now, he still finds himself on the teamsheet.    Not his fault of course, that’s on Smith, makes you wonder just how long they will persevere in desperation that he will improve, meanwhile we will suffer that lack of creativity we so desperately need!

He’s a centre forward apparently, certainly not a winger or no.10 so unless we’re playing 2 up front, it has to be gross incompetence by the manager.    

• Like 1

On 25/07/2022 at 18:38, lake district canary said:

He is going to be superb for us in the championship, no question.  With him on the right, we have a one man team on that side of the pitch, chasing, harrying, tracking back, running at defenders, basically what we saw from him last season when he was at his best.  He will score a few goals and even when he isn't he will be causing mayhem around that side of the pitch, creating space for others to exploit, like Pukki.

I'll probably get shot down for making comparisons, but think Emile Heskey on steroids and that is what I think will emerge from him this season. Heskey wasn't prolific goal scoring, but boy was he effective in an attacking team - and any striker up front will benefit with him being on the right of the pitch. He breaks up play too, tracks back well and at his best, is a real handful. Could well be the first name on the teamsheet each week.

When you put it like that, get him in CDM sharpish!    😀 

Shame it’s such a struggle when the balls at his feet!   Let’s be realistic, he can’t pass, cross, shoot and has no vision…. For all his efforts, sadly that’s not enough!

1 minute ago, ged in the onion bag said:

When you put it like that, get him in CDM sharpish!    😀 

Shame it’s such a struggle when the balls at his feet!   Let’s be realistic, he can’t pass, cross, shoot and has no vision…. For all his efforts, sadly that’s not enough!

I'm 37, if Sargent is a professional footballer, there is hope for me yet !!

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

The lad doesn't have a good first touch, doesn't seem to have an instinctive shot, doesn't link play particularly well, can't cross well, isn't exceptionally quick, tall or strong and has been a poor signing from when he first arrived.

Yet for some reason I still think he could end up being a very useful player this season - I thought it before the Cardiff game and it seems illogical to make conclusions after one game.

You are Dean Smith!    🤣

On 30/07/2022 at 19:01, canarybubbles said:

To be fair, Marco Stiepermann couldn't do any of those things