TeemuVanBasten

Lots of people writing off Sargent...

8 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Controversial opinion.

Sargent has achieved more in his Norwich career this far than Rashica.

But that's not exactly difficult is it! Rashica showed 'flashes' of how good he could be yet produced zero end product other than that fabulous cross for the Sargent header v Watford. 

12 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i get he puts in the effort and non stop pressing but we also need that and football skill and finishing 

i he is young and like Hog said hard to judge in from last season improvement in a lesser league is possible 

i have my doubts over him i don't like strikers moved out wide seems DS  does not know what his natural game is 

This is basically where I am with him at the moment. All the positives in this thread are pretty much off the ball/defensive actions, that doesn't strike me as a great thing for an attacking player. In my opinion, if he plays it should only be up front as he offers very little playing out on the right, apart from being someone to play long to as Pukki isn't great in the air.

Wasn’t he bought as a striker? Surely that means he was brought in to score goals but he couldn’t even do that with a gaping net in front of him ffs!

All this bull about potential, what is it based on as if you look at his career stats he’s hardly prolific is he?

He has many attributes the same as Idah but neither of them are destined to be prolific are they in truth?

I doubt Sargent will ever be prolific but he's also never really played in a good team (relative to his league) before. I think he's rash when he gets into the final third and this season will be a good season for him to learn how to compose himself better.

Rashica and Sargent have one thing in common. Neither should be in the team. 

Rashica continues to flatter to deceive and Sargent shows a very poor understanding of the game.

Both could improve but I would hope they try to do it elsewhere and we recoup quite a bit of what they cost us.

2 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Hope you don’t mind me quoting this and bringing it back at the end of the season as I believe you have mugged yourself right off here 

I really hope he proves to be a standout player at championship level I really do but just think he's not good enough

As for 'mugging' myself off?. Think i'll survive

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

44 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i get he puts in the effort and non stop pressing but we also need that and football skill and finishing 

i he is young and like Hog said hard to judge in from last season improvement in a lesser league is possible 

i have my doubts over him i don't like strikers moved out wide seems DS  does not know what his natural game is 

I believe Darren Huckerby was a striker moved out wide. 

5 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Rashica continues to flatter to deceive and Sargent shows a very poor understanding of the game.

Both could improve but I would hope they try to do it elsewhere and we recoup quite a bit of what they cost us.

Yeah could,not agree more ,werder Bremen done a number on us.😬

19 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Wasn’t he bought as a striker? Surely that means he was brought in to score goals but he couldn’t even do that with a gaping net in front of him ffs!

All this bull about potential, what is it based on as if you look at his career stats he’s hardly prolific is he?

He has many attributes the same as Idah but neither of them are destined to be prolific are they in truth?

Agreed. It was an appalling waste of vital cash by Webber. As I've said elsewhere, there is no way a 'hard working, hustling, bustling' wide player should cost anywhere near £NINE Million!! The flip side is that wonderful headed goal at Watford. The fact he has that in his locker should be worked on until the proverbial cows come home!

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Let's not make comparisons between them two, for god's sake.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Rashica believes he is much better than he really is. Watching his body language and 'off the ball' style last season was testament to that.

2 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

I'm still struggling to determine what precisely he 'is'.

I like him and am desperate for it to click for the lad but I'm still figuring him out.

Those more in the know ... can you name a couple of other players past or present (including from other clubs) that you would liken him to???

He reminds me a little of Dirk Kuyt…albeit a sh1t version.

For me Kuyt had a pretty poor touch / technique, but he was a great team player with a phenomenal work rate. I’ve just looked at his stats and was surprised how many goals he scored.

21 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I really hope he proves to be a standout player at championship level I really do but just think he's good enough

As for 'mugging' myself off?. Think i'll survive

Good man 

2 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Those more in the know ... can you name a couple of other players past or present (including from other clubs) that you would liken him to???

Young, less experienced, slightly poorer version of Dirk Kuyt. Could yet develop and progress to that sort of level.

3 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

In that in-house interview Webber did, he described last summer's recruitment as 'ok' (or words to that effect). Obviously on one level that's nonsense: we failed in our ambition of staying up. But he's a sporting director, not a manager: his job is to buy players who will improve the squad over the medium-long term, 

Interesting point. 

Webber's job was to buy players to keep us up - or should have been. If his job is to buy players who will improve the squad in the 'medium to long term', we'll never stay up, as we will never have the right players at the time we need them most.  

As for Sergeant, he works hard with no end product. He was a failed buy and an expensive one - for us. 

However as I've posted elsewhere, he could score 20, 2 or nothing. We don't know what his level is, but we do know that it isn't as high as the EPL. 

Edited by komakino

You will see better touch and control in an under 13's game. There is a limit as to how far work ethic can get you and my god we helped him get a lot higher than he should. I always love a player that proves me wrong but, his footballing ability is so far behind where he should be at his age to be playing professional football I would be amazed. I might live to regret these comments but from what I have seen we should get what ever we can for him and save the wages. 

5 minutes ago, komakino said:

Interesting point. 

Webber's job was to buy players to keep us up - or should have been. If his job is to buy players who will improve the squad in the 'medium to long term', we'll never stay up, as we will never have the right players at the time we need them most.  

As for Sergeant, he works hard with no end product. He was a failed buy and an expensive one - for us. 

However as I've posted elsewhere, he could score 20, 2 or nothing. We don't know what his level is, but we do know that it isn't as high as the EPL. 

This works... until you read something like the article from Michael Bailey on the Athletic which made it clear we had identified higher quality targets and lost out to clubs in European competition or wages.

I mean, we know for a fact at one point we had bids in for Armstrong, Ajer, Billings at the very least.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

he had fantastic pace can not really compare 

26 minutes ago, komakino said:

Interesting point. 

Disagree with pretty much all of this.

He isn't a failure because we have no idea what happens next, he wasnt expensive by Premiership standards and at 21 he has resale value.

He's already contributed more than proper failures like RVW or Naithsmith.

I think he can be a bit hopeless at times but I really want him to do well and a lots of supporters want him to as well.

If the team can get off to a good start, Josh bangs in a few, especially at home, his confidence will grow exponentially and he will turn out a hugely important and popular player for us.

Come on Josh!

8 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

he had fantastic pace can not really compare 

What you can compare though is the number of 'big men' that took a long time to develop and peaked quite late. 

Can't argue that Sargent has some fantastic physical attributes. 

To be honest I think the club could do a lot worse than go and knock on Grant Holt's door, tell him to sack off West Ham and give him £100k a year to come and 1-2-1 coach Josh Sargent on how to become more streetwise and to use his strength to draw the foul, back into people, and generally become more of a nuisance.

I remember Kevin Davies and how much of a nightmare he was for defenders, but was never a natural goalscorer as his career stats show, but he'd sell people dummies, run across keepers, bash people up a bit, hold the ball up, knock the ball down to goalscoring midfielders (Kevin Nolan?).

I'm completely with people when it comes to not really understanding what role he's meant to have filled in our side, it was a square peg for a round hole, but still think he could become a major pain in the **** as a big lump up top if he had more of a nastier streak and became a bit more street wise.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think he can be a bit hopeless at times but I really want him to do well and a lots of supporters want him to as well.

If the team can get off to a good start, Josh bangs in a few, especially at home, his confidence will grow exponentially and he will turn out a hugely important and popular player for us.

Come on Josh!

i think if i had the money again i would not buy Josh but a young striker from English football 

someone who has scored a lot at a lower level 

i think it is easier if you are a Natural goal scorer than if you are trying to make someone like josh into a goal scorer 

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What you can compare though is the number of 'big men' that took a long time to develop and peaked quite late. 

Can't argue that Sargent has some fantastic physical attributes. 

To be honest I think the club could do a lot worse than go and knock on Grant Holt's door, tell him to sack off West Ham and give him £100k a year to come and 1-2-1 coach Josh Sargent on how to become more streetwise and to use his strength to draw the foul, back into people, and generally become more of a nuisance.

I remember Kevin Davies and how much of a nightmare he was for defenders, but was never a natural goalscorer as his career stats show, but he'd sell people dummies, run across keepers, bash people up a bit, hold the ball up, knock the ball down to goalscoring midfielders (Kevin Nolan?).

I'm completely with people when it comes to not really understanding what role he's meant to have filled in our side, it was a square peg for a round hole, but still think he could become a major pain in the **** as a big lump up top if he had more of a nastier streak and became a bit more street wise.

i Agree with that Holty would be a good coach for josh 1 to 1 

Kevin Davies was a Great player under rated always gives the defence a tough game 

Kevin Nolan also 

Edited by norfolkngood
press enter to soon

11 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i Agree with that Holty would be a good coach for josh 1 to 1 

Kevin Davies was a Great player under rated always gives the defence a tough game 

Kevin Nolan also 

Yes, Kevin Davies was a good player, but he understood the game.

11 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i think if i had the money again i would not buy Josh but a young striker from English football 

someone who has scored a lot at a lower level 

i think it is easier if you are a Natural goal scorer than if you are trying to make someone like josh into a goal scorer 

I don't disagree but Josh was brought in as he was seen as a higher pedigree than a lower level striker to help us avoid relegation. On paper he looked a decent signing but the step up to the EPL was far too great.

Personally, having had direct experience with this sort of thing, I believe Sargent is a massive overthinker.

Every now and then, although it is oft forgotten, he'll take the ball down and do something like a lightning-quick cruyff turn and power away from his marker. Then his forebrain catches up and he gets lost- you see this in his finishing too, it's no coincidence when he scored 1 he got a second. 

He's got something (not just an unlikely stint as Real Madrids main forward on an FM save) but its not quite there. I hope the Championship somehow helps him unlock it.