TeemuVanBasten

Lots of people writing off Sargent...

And yes, I'm at danger of cries of hypocrisy because I absolutely slated his signing, and I still think it was a ridiculous signing (along with Tsoliz) because we needed players that were 'ready' for the top tier and he appeared to be a square peg for a round hole.

But when he got injured last season I felt we really missed him, he's still really young, works his socks off and this is a completely different level of football.

I can't help but think back at how important Stiepermann was to our Championship promotion and how much of a nightmare he was for some Championship defenders to cope with, but then how out of his depth he so clearly was at Premier League level where his glaring weaknesses were pretty similar to those that saw with Sargent.

No fricking idea whether he'll do well this season or not, but he works his socks off and deserves his chance, appears to be up for staying rather than being a mercenary like Lees-Melou and f*cking off in a hump about the 40% pay cut. I think we should cut him some slack, his performances improved before his injury, he covers a lot of ground, gets stuck in, he's never going to be a world beater but he's probably exactly the type of player you need 20 games into a Championship season away to some sh*thole on a Tuesday night when its minus 2 degrees.

USA, USA, USA! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

Probably our 4th choice striker...and probably our 4th choice wide player too

Unfortunately , I dont see him standing out at championship level, if we were in league one , I suspect he'd blend into those surroundings too

If we got a bid of half we were conned into paying for him, I'd be inclined to cut our losses

• Like 4

Stiepermann had a cutting edge to his play though, popped up with goals and assists - I can't see Sargent tallying near Marco's 9 goals and 8 assists in the 18/19 season.

Another thing counting against Sargent is the absolute abundance of talent we have in the wide areas; Dowell, Sinani, Rashica, Cantwell, Sargent and Hernandez (with Idah as another option) who really want to occupy 2/3 places in the team. 

Given the level of competition, I don't think we will carry a player in the front 3 / 4 who isn't firing and I'm not sure what he brings elsewhere is what we want in a championship winning team. If Sargent struggles then he won't be afforded time like he was last year IMO.

Maybe we could rejuvenate him in the central midfield just like Joelinton has at Newcastle? 😄

Assuming Cantwell plays centrally I think he's one of our two first choice wide players. Better than everybody's favourite Cuban anyway, probably ahead of Sinani and the youngsters too. 

Edited by KeiranShikari
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Stiepermann had a cutting edge to his play though, popped up with goals and assists - I can't see Sargent tallying near Marco's 9 goals and 8 assists in the 18/19 season.

Another thing counting against Sargent is the absolute abundance of talent we have in the wide areas; Dowell, Sinani, Rashica, Cantwell, Sargent and Hernandez (with Idah as another option) who really want to occupy 2/3 places in the team. 

Given the level of competition, I don't think we will carry a player in the front 3 / 4 who isn't firing and I'm not sure what he brings elsewhere is what we want in a championship winning team. If Sargent struggles then he won't be afforded time like he was last year IMO.

Maybe we could rejuvenate him in the central midfield just like Joelinton has at Newcastle? 😄

To counter my own point, Sargent actually had a better return last season in the PL (2 goals 1 assist) than Marco in 19/20 (0 goals 0 assists albeit in about 2/3 the time Sargent featured) - so perhaps I am being a bit unfair judging Sargent only on his PL season without the context of a lower league.

That said, Stiepermann seemed to have a knack of hitting them in from range in the champs, I'm sure he scored 4-5 just outside the box nailing it to the bottom corner in 18/19 - just can't see Sargent conjuring up something from nothing like that, it doesn't feel like he has it in him to become a prolific creator or scorer. But maybe I'd say all of the same things about Stiepermann if I only knew of his premier league efforts in 20/21...

Sargent also has got age on his side / is still developing in his career. It would be great if he had a good season!

• Like 1

In that in-house interview Webber did, he described last summer's recruitment as 'ok' (or words to that effect). Obviously on one level that's nonsense: we failed in our ambition of staying up. But he's a sporting director, not a manager: his job is to buy players who will improve the squad over the medium-long term, and who will keep their value at the very least. The three big-money signings, Sargent included, are all young enough to improve, and to make a difference to our club. 

Will be interesting to see in a year's time if Rashica and Sargent have helped us to another promotion, and/or if Tzolis has had a recuperative season feeding the Wolf so he will score. Maybe that window will look 'ok' rather than 'absolutely catastrophic'...

Personally I remain unconvinced, but there's always hope...

57 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Hernandez flopped in his first loan, and there's a huge difference between Cantwell performing in pre-season friendlies in Germany and being able to cope with the pressure of a packed Carrow Road, jury firmly out. Last pre-season he pulled off a worldie of an assist.

Sinani has impressed Smith but didn't really impress Huddersfield fans to the extent that any of them care that they've not taken up the option. So I think jury is still firmly out on the lot of them.

I'm still struggling to determine what precisely he 'is'.

I like him and am desperate for it to click for the lad but I'm still figuring him out.

Those more in the know ... can you name a couple of other players past or present (including from other clubs) that you would liken him to???

• Like 1

If he can cope with the physicality of the Champs I think he'll do well for us.

40 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

I'm still struggling to determine what precisely he 'is'.

I like him and am desperate for it to click for the lad but I'm still figuring him out.

Those more in the know ... can you name a couple of other players past or present (including from other clubs) that you would liken him to???

Matias Jonsen....and that isnt a compliment

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Matias Jonsen....and that isnt a compliment

Remember him for being sent off but can't remember against who?

3 minutes ago, raunds canary said:

I think that might have been the famous 'let's be avin' you' Man City game.

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Probably our 4th choice striker...and probably our 4th choice wide player too

Unfortunately , I dont see him standing out at championship level, if we were in league one , I suspect he'd blend into those surroundings too

If we got a bid of half we were conned into paying for him, I'd be inclined to cut our losses

Hope you don’t mind me quoting this and bringing it back at the end of the season as I believe you have mugged yourself right off here 

6 minutes ago, raunds canary said:

I remember him getting jay bothroyd sent off for a kick out 

11 minutes ago, raunds canary said:

How quickly you have all forgot his performance of the century at vicarage road!

One swallow and all that…

48 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Biggest issue with him is I still can't tell if he's meant to be a winger or striker. Still find it amusing Webber was warned by multiple people not to buy him yet did so anyways 

Who told him not to? Have you got a link for this article? 

Nobody can really rate him highly from last season, however...

Hes still young.

He has a bit of a physical presence

He has a bit of height 

Hes relatively quick without being explosive. 

His reading of the game is decent and his movement is pretty good.

His work rate is second to none.

I suspect he will play a lot of games for us so I hope he does well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Holt said:

Who told him not to? Have you got a link for this article? 

You just beat me to it! 

12 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I think that might have been the famous 'let's be avin' you' Man City game.

Yes u are right at the end of the first half 

3 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

In my eyes our front 6 when all fit will be 

Pukki 

Rashica Cantwell Sinani 

Hayden Sara

personally can’t see where Sarg fits 

Instead of sinani 

I think he'll come good. He was always set up for failure to come from America and expect to perform in the Premier League.

My money is on him finding his feet in the Championship and doing very well for us.

Whether he'll develop into a Premier League striker is probably too big of an ask.

Will he contribute goals and assists?

Can't see it, personally.

Our only hope is that he can be coached into becoming a half decent player.

He is going to be superb for us in the championship, no question.  With him on the right, we have a one man team on that side of the pitch, chasing, harrying, tracking back, running at defenders, basically what we saw from him last season when he was at his best.  He will score a few goals and even when he isn't he will be causing mayhem around that side of the pitch, creating space for others to exploit, like Pukki.

I'll probably get shot down for making comparisons, but think Emile Heskey on steroids and that is what I think will emerge from him this season. Heskey wasn't prolific goal scoring, but boy was he effective in an attacking team - and any striker up front will benefit with him being on the right of the pitch. He breaks up play too, tracks back well and at his best, is a real handful. Could well be the first name on the teamsheet each week.

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

He is going to be superb for us in the championship, no question.  With him on the right, we have a one man team on that side of the pitch, chasing, harrying, tracking back, running at defenders, basically what we saw from him last season when he was at his best.  He will score a few goals and even when he isn't he will be causing mayhem around that side of the pitch, creating space for others to exploit, like Pukki.

I'll probably get shot down for making comparisons, but think Emile Heskey on steroids and that is what I think will emerge from him this season. Heskey wasn't prolific goal scoring, but boy was he effective in an attacking team - and any striker up front will benefit with him being on the right of the pitch. He breaks up play too, tracks back well and at his best, is a real handful. Could well be the first name on the teamsheet each week.

I think you were supposed to post this in the "hot takes" thread...

I believe he is going to be a star player for us this season, the championship defenders are going to hate the fact that he will be at them for a full 90 mins of the game, he just never stops running 😀

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kinggoblin said:

I believe he is going to be a star player for us this season, the championship defenders are going to hate the fact that he will be at them for a full 90 mins of the game, he just never stops running 😀

i get he puts in the effort and non stop pressing but we also need that and football skill and finishing 

i he is young and like Hog said hard to judge in from last season improvement in a lesser league is possible 

i have my doubts over him i don't like strikers moved out wide seems DS  does not know what his natural game is