Sign in to follow this  
canarydan23

If we make the playoffs and lose...

We should not be aiming for anything less than top 2. Failure to achieve that will throw the entire model of the club into question because it shows we can’t just go up and down and take the money while remaining stronger than other teams at this level.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

...do you think Smith should be fired or be given another stab at it?

Dear lord.

• Thanks 1

Play Offs you're having a laugh, you realise we have one CB reasonably fit and two others walking wounded. Cant score and can't defend.  Gone by Xmas 

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seasons not even started and people already calling for his head 😂

Well he wasn't really. He was basically asking what our expectations are. Is a top six finish a success? I would say yes.

Where were Forest two seasons ago? Fighting for survival. Now in the EPL. We are looking at clubs in the Championship and saying we are better than them. And the odds favour us. But there are two clubs that came down with us and one or two with ambitions this season. So I think top six means you have had a good season.

25 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Dear lord.

Interesting contribution.

So, forgive me if I'm wrong, but the inference I'm taking from this is that you would be fine with someone taking the squad we have currently to a position potentially lower than 5 other Championship teams?

7 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Interesting contribution.

So, forgive me if I'm wrong, but the inference I'm taking from this is that you would be fine with someone taking the squad we have currently to a position potentially lower than 5 other Championship teams?

Pleasure. I thought it more substantive than speculating over what might happen and the 100 scenarios which might happen even before the playoff games are played.

1 minute ago, jaberry2 said:

Pleasure. I thought it more substantive than speculating over what might happen and the 100 scenarios which might happen even before the playoff games are played.

But not quite as substantive as actually answering a question.

Pretty daft thread in July but hypothetically I'd say failure to go up this season should result in a change of manager whoever it is, this squad should be top two really.

2 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Pretty daft thread in July but hypothetically I'd say failure to go up this season should result in a change of manager whoever it is, this squad should be top two really.

You summed it up with the first two words.

Can't we sack him now? Why aren't we Watford?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

You summed it up with the first two words.

Careful you don't use up all your substantive posts in one thread old boy.

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Careful you don't use up all your substantive posts in one thread old boy.

Good point. No doubt they'll be a 100 further pant wetting posts about theoretical questions 9 months in advance that I will save my efforts for later on today.

Just now, jaberry2 said:

Good point. No doubt they'll be a 100 further pant wetting posts about theoretical questions 9 months in advance that I will save my efforts for later on today.

What? You think there might be more posts speculating about the future of the forthcoming football season? On a football message board?!

NO. WAY.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Er where was I calling for his head? I'm just saying that October is likely to be the first review date either from the fans, or in-house, or both.

In case you haven't read other threads Smith isn't a hugely popular appointment and needs to hit the ground running.

I'd be more interested in the course of travel in such a case. If we finished the season strongly, then I'd be all for saying "stay at it, Deano". If we started off like a house on fire but faded, it's more 50:50 for me.

.... we may well have played a loan player (Hayden) for a full season at the expense of signing our own and / or developing our own.     Similar to Skipp really but without the promotion!   Just saying!   

As for Smith's position, that depends on the circumstances of it.... he needs time if he is going to change the philosophy and Farke got more than one season to do that.    Will there be signs of developing a team capable of staying in the EPL, if so, then why sack him?

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well actually the season finished and we were relegated.

4 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

.... we may well have played a loan player (Hayden) for a full season at the expense of signing our own and / or developing our own.     Similar to Skipp really but without the promotion!   Just saying!  

I generally agree with this sentiment but this time i think it's worth the risk, Hayden is quality.

3 hours ago, pete said:

Play Offs you're having a laugh, you realise we have one CB reasonably fit and two others walking wounded. Cant score and can't defend.  Gone by Xmas 

I lean towards pessimism as you all know, but I'm sure we had this doom and gloom the last time we were relegated and people were calling for Farkes head.

I'm not enthused by Smith, he's the Kier Starmer of football managers, but will judge on results in competitive fixtures.

Just getting to the playoffs can take a lot of forms. if we squeak into 6th playing awful football with little to no sign of improvement throughout the season then I'd imagine he'd have to go whereas a 3rd place finish with lots of good football we'd obviously be more inclined to keep him.

Edited by KeiranShikari

I would take a play off appearance right now - its gonna be a slog of a season.  

34 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I generally agree with this sentiment but this time i think it's worth the risk, Hayden is quality.

Time will tell, I'm in the other camp for now!   We are in dire need of CDM's though thats for sure!  

5 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

...do you think Smith should be fired or be given another stab at it?

I think this is actually a really good question, despite people ridiculing it.

Surely our aim is not merely promotion, but building a team, squad and style of play that has a chance of PL survival? If we miss out on promotion, but we can see that DS is developing a sturdier method (which for me would be a stronger defensive unit than under DF, the ability to counter at pace, and a real threat from set-pieces), then I'd be very happy for him to continue, with another transfer window and one more year of parachute payments to get the squad to a point where a couple of marquee signings in a pre-Prem window would give us something competitive.

In short, I might actually prefer us not to go up this season if there's a suggestion that we'd have a less miserable time when we do make it. (Obviously that would make the following season, the last of the parachute payments, a very high-stakes season indeed.)