Sign in to follow this  
Terminally Yellow

More questions than answers

I'm usually full of optimism going into a new season, and yes - there are reasons to be optimistic as we look ahead. But for me, there are just so many questions which I simply have no answer for. Things I had hoped pre-season may give us at least a suspicion of being addressed. Such as;

1. Is Hayden the DM answer to our prayers?
  2. Can Smith mould this group of undeniably talented individuals into an effective team?
  3. How are we going to set up Pukki to score the goals we know he's capable of scoring at this level? 
  4. A Dean Smith side is.... what, exactly?

Now question 1 is unfairly posed because it's not anyone's fault that this injury has taken the turn it has. These things happen. But I had hoped by now to be able to have an answer to the other three. Friendlies are a dangerous indicator to judge anything on, we know that. But it feels to me there is a lot to still pin down - and now no time in which to do so. 

I think we have a team here capable of winning this league. I am just not sure we approach this season as best prepared to do so. 

#4 has always been my issue with Smith. Accentuated by the fact that we had a real identity under Farke. 

In answe to number 3, the only thing I keep telling myself is to have faith in Pukki himself. Remember he managed double figures in the premier league last season in a team that performed nothing short of diabolically across the board.

Just now, kirku said:

#4 has always been my issue with Smith. Accentuated by the fact that we had a real identity under Farke. 

And this is what I also struggle with. I could’ve sworn that when Webber was first here, his aim was to setup and infrastructure and a football philosophy that would allow us to change head coaches whilst moving in the same footballing philosophy direction, so it was going to be a case of wholesale changing. But it appears we must’ve scarapped that idea along the way.

1 minute ago, Coneys Knee said:

And this is what I also struggle with. I could’ve sworn that when Webber was first here, his aim was to setup and infrastructure and a football philosophy that would allow us to change head coaches whilst moving in the same footballing philosophy direction, so it was going to be a case of wholesale changing. But it appears we must’ve scarapped that idea along the way.

Why’s that? Because Smith is a long ball merchant?

Just now, Nuff Said said:

Why’s that? Because Smith is a long ball merchant?

Is he? I don’t know, but I do know that I watched something vastly different to the Farke era.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

Is he? I don’t know, but I do know that I watched something vastly different to the Farke era.

No, he is clearly not and has never been. But it’s frequently suggested on here that he is.

And was the Farkeball style clear at the start of 18-19 season? We got 5 points from the first 6 games, after finishing 14th the previous season. But several posters have said we need “to hit the ground running”.

On 24/07/2022 at 20:32, Coneys Knee said:

Completely agree.

It felt to me like Webber was absolutely desperate to prove it wasn't him at fault, that the summer transfers weren't largely disastrous, and was willing to sacrifice the vision and strategy to try to prove it.

Which, as we all know, was utterly futile.

• Like 1