Sign in to follow this  
BigFish

End of the Pink 'un

I didn’t realise any were still going - it does seem a shame, as a teenager I occasionally used to wander down the newsagent around 6pm on a Saturday to get one hot off the press (or rather out of the van as he flung it into the shop doorway).  Those days are long-gone now!

Two trains would arrive at Halesworth just after 7, one from  Lowestoft with the Pink Un and one from Ipswich with the Green Un.

• Like 1

The majority don't buy papers anymore, and too many companies have been far too slow to react to that. The Pinkun App is a great step in the right direction but the quality needs to be premium if you're asking people to pay for it

• Like 1

As a kid, down on my bike to the newsagents at 5.45 to pick up the pink'un and a box of Maltesers or revels, then a few doors down to pick up the chippy tea. Sometimes I finished the pink'un before the cold chippy tea!

Edited by shefcanary

Great paper. My abiding memory is: Detailed first half analysis followed by a truncated,almost rushed second half due to deadlines!

I loved it though, always amazed how quickly it got to my then home newsagents of the time in Ormesby.

I was lucky enough to get my name in the pinkun as a teenager after scoring a brace on my debut for a team in the Anglian Combination at the time. Was very proud moment for me and my footballing peak (sadly 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

To be fair newspapers are dying as it is. Shame to see it go, but it's all online now.

This, then you get all the comments on facebook asking "why the paywall"... everything for nothing. 

Seems freebies Cambs Times (including Wisbech Standard), Diss Mercury, Thetford and Brandon Times, West Suffolk Mercury and Felixstowe Extra also for the chop after this week's issues, but continuing with an online presence. Ely Standard  survives in print. 

Didn't realise it was still going.... would be a queue every Saturday around 6pm outside the local newsagents....  remember fetching it for the old man every week.   

.... and when I played, the club bar would be packed until the paper boy arrived and he always sold the entire bag.   

Edited by ged in the onion bag

As a kid I used to deliver this around the Sprowston Road area. I always remember the smile I got from people waiting for my arrival when we had won, but when we had lost they wouldn't even come to the door

• Haha 1

Had it posted to me all over the world. Singapore, Somalia, Gibraltar, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Libya, Philippines Scotland. And Lincolnshire. Sometimes took about two weeks to reach me, but apart from the Pink only had short wave radio to keep informed in those days. Often submitted letters and photos for inclusion.

Is this about "our" Pinkun? The article seem to refer to Portsmouth. I used to be on shift at Thorpe when it was printed. It was many years back when the last edition rolled of the press. Happy days but times change.