Sign in to follow this  
KeiranShikari

Team for Cardiff

So preseason is over and we're less than a week away from the big kickoff. How would you and how do you think we will line up atCardiff?

I'm thinking our lineup from the Celtic game but with Giannoulis and Gibbs over McCallum and Sinani.

Krul

Aarons - Omobamidele - Hanley - Giannoulis

Cantwell - McLean - Gibbs

Sargent - Pukki - Rashica

I think Sinani probably plays over Gibbs despite the fact Gibbs probably deserves the start on pre season performances. 

I would go with 

Krul

Aarons Omo Hanley Dimi

Sorensen McLean

Sinani Cantwell Rashica

Pukki

That's what I'd go with, other than Sinani starting ahead of Gibbs. I'd be surprised if Sara is anywhere near match fit to play a part against Cardiff.

I feel there's more pressure on Sargent to do something than, and at £9m he quickly needs to step up from just being a nuisance, to assisting and scoring.

And if its not working I'd revert to 4-4-2 with Pukki and Hugill up top.

When Sara & Hayden are fit I'd prefer a 4-2-3-1 with Hayden/Sar, then Sargent Cantwell and Rashica with Pukki up top  

21 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Krul

Aarons

Hanley

Gibbo or Andy O

Giannoulis 

Sorensen

McLean

Cantwell

Sargent

Pukki 

Rashica

This one for me

Krul, Aarons, Hanley, Omobamidele, Giannoulis, Sinani, McLean, Cantwell, Rashica, Sargent and Pukki in a 4-3-3, although I think Sorensen will take Sargent’s place if it’s a 4-2-3-1

Edited by HazzaJet

56 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

So preseason is over and we're less than a week away from the big kickoff. How would you and how do you think we will line up atCardiff?

I'm thinking our lineup from the Celtic game but with Giannoulis and Gibbs over McCallum and Sinani.

Krul

Aarons - Omobamidele - Hanley - Giannoulis

Cantwell - McLean - Gibbs

Sargent - Pukki - Rashica

I think Sinani probably plays over Gibbs despite the fact Gibbs probably deserves the start on pre season performances. 

Honestly don’t see many options other than that team (with Sorensen instead of Gibbs). Hugill is only player I see outside this 11 that’s really played himself into contention but I still wouldn’t drop Pukki or play both.

I do find it a little concerning that between injury and squad trimming we’ve quickly gone from an overly bloated squad to a first 11 that pretty much picks itself.

You could make some arguments around Gunn over Krul, maybe McCallum instead of Giannoulis. But ultimately I don’t see any reason not to go for the strongest fit team on paper and I think you’ve basically nailed that.

Edited by Monty13

Sorenson will clearly play ahead of Gibbs

...bit going into a season with McLean/Sorenson as our midfield isnt quite what I'd hoped 😦

Think we need another kit launch featuring Hayden just to remind us we actually signed him.

Can’t see anything else except a 1 - 0 win for Cardiff, who’s going to score the goals and our defence always has a ****-up unit.

Green

Edworthy Fleming Mackay Drury 

Mulryne holt Francis huckerby 

McKenzie svennson 

4 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Can’t see anything else except a 1 - 0 win for Cardiff, who’s going to score the goals and our defence always has a ****-up unit.

That's the spirit chap. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Krul

Aarons

Hanley

Gibbo or Andy O

Giannoulis 

Sorensen

McLean

Cantwell

Sargent

Pukki 

Rashica

Pretty much picks itself, though McCullum has looked pretty useful and will only get better the more he plays, Sargent, might be on the bench for Sinani. The sooner Dowell, Hayden and Sara are fit the better, we really need some depth back in our squad. Not saying our youth products won’t make the step up if needed but they’re still very Green.

Edited by Indy

I suspect Smith will play a 4-3-3:

Krul

Aarons / Omobamidele / Hanley / Giannoulis 

Cantwell / Sorenson / Mclean

Sargent / Pukki / Rashica

Credit to Cantwell who has managed to go from 'surplus to requirements' to looking like one of our best players again although sadly Sorenson has shown in this pre-season why he largely didn't feature last season, just looks way too passive. 

The key to this season will be getting Hayden fit and then how well Sara adapts/fits in. Many are also forgetting the sheer lack of quality in this league and we'll be able to look bang average in some games and still take the 3 points. 

I'll make something up

Gunn

Omobamidele,Hanley,Sorenson

McLean

Aarons, Martin, Cantwell, Hernandez

Idah

Hugill

5 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Green

Edworthy Fleming Mackay Drury 

Mulryne holt Francis huckerby 

McKenzie svennson 

Not gonna start Iwan? Big call that!

Krul 

Aarons Hanley Omobomadiele Dimi 

McLean Sorensen

Sinani Cantwell Rashica 

Pukki 

Would be my choice from what is available

8 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

Krul

Aarons Zimmerman Godfrey Lewis

Vrancic Trybull

Buendia Stiepermann Hernandez

Pukki 

Bit of a depressing thought really that Trybull would probably be a decent option as a squad player for us right now, despite him being bang average. Don't really understand why we ever bombed him out as he'd have been better than nothing last season when Normann was crocked in that deeper position.

12 hours ago, Indy said:

Pretty much picks itself, though McCullum has looked pretty useful and will only get better the more he plays, Sargent, might be on the bench for Sinani. The sooner Dowell, Hayden and Sara are fit the better, we really need some depth back in our squad. Not saying our youth products won’t make the step up if needed but they’re still very Green.

I disagree on the former, but definitely on the latter points of dowell, Hayden and Sara. Dowell adds a quality and through balls for Pukki. Hayden should add a lot more bite than Sorensen and with the hope that Sara is a real improvement on Kenny, with the hope him being a proper box to box midfielder. 

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Bit of a depressing thought really that Trybull would probably be a decent option as a squad player for us right now, despite him being bang average. Don't really understand why we ever bombed him out as he'd have been better than nothing last season when Normann was crocked in that deeper position.

Fcuk me sideways TuB, as I watched the game yesterday , Tommy Trybull was the man that sprang to mind that could have strolled onto the pitch and done some serious mopping up/ breaking up of play. Fwiw I think his passing was underrated too, I have a picture in my mind of him winning the ball just inside our half, looking up , shaping as if to ping it out left wing , but instead swept a beautiful reverse pass up the right to release Max. 

Would he have been any worse than any of last seasons Midfielders? I think he'd have been an asset.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I think Gunn has the edge on Krul at present. 

I also think Hugil merits a start. Maybe 4-4-2

Ive preferred Gunn for a while. Looks more assured and is better are distributing the ball either with his feet or by hand. Hugill has had a good pre season, one of the few really and certainly played his way into contention. I doubt Smith will play a 4-4-2 though.

33 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Ive preferred Gunn for a while. Looks more assured and is better are distributing the ball either with his feet or by hand. Hugill has had a good pre season, one of the few really and certainly played his way into contention. I doubt Smith will play a 4-4-2 though.

Agree, it will be a 3 or a 1 uptop.

Some posters on here still think it is the 80s.

16 minutes ago, BigFish said:

We played 442 in January when Smith stumbled across something that looked like it might work before Idah got injured.

If Hayden and Sara can get fit and can prove they can cover the ground, I wouldnt dismiss it

35 minutes ago, BigFish said:

I wish it was still the 80's

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigFish said:

Didn't Leicester shock everyone with a 4-4-2? Surely you play the system that suits the players you have. And with Saturday in mind, we look better off with strikers at the moment than anywhere else on the pitch.

Once Hayden and Sara start playing then I'm sure we will have tactical options.

Edited by keelansgrandad