Sign in to follow this  
Pugin

Is social media destroying the enjoyment of football?

4 hours ago, sonyc said:

And you're one of the best posters DM. Not patronising you here but being honest. You don't take stuff too seriously and I think that is the key. Even including ourselves🙂

Anyway, seeing the post by @C.I.D too gives an excuse for this lovely sketch.

Two fast show post hijacks on the pink un in one weekend! Which is nice 

3 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

They’re still all social media though

Sure but it's a fiat punto vs a ferrari f40. 

7 minutes ago, Herman said:

Now here's a thing, @Pugin 's post was very well liked on twitter.👍

“They try to make me go to rehab, I said No No No”

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

“They try to make me go to rehab, I said No No No”

You sounds so much like a snowflake sometimes Buho .  If you can't see that , correctly used , Social media has its uses.

Just like Guns.😇

I believe that if you give people enough rope, they'll hang themselves.

Trump has.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You sounds so much like a snowflake sometimes Buho .  If you can't see that , correctly used , Social media has its uses.

Just like Guns.😇

I believe that if you give people enough rope, they'll hang themselves.

Trump has.

Trump would never have got to power in the first place without social media acting as a platform to communicate false and misleading statements, and slander his opponents with impunity, free from any review or censure; this is another thing that social media has bought to the table. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Trump would never have got to power in the first place without social media acting as a platform to communicate false and misleading statements, and slander his opponents with impunity, free from any review or censure; this is another thing that social media has bought to the table. 

My point entirely. He was given the rope, look what happened, eventually. 

9 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

My point entirely. He was given the rope, look what happened, eventually. 

He was given the rope, and he climbed to the presidency on it first, while he still hasn't actually hung yet, unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

He was given the rope, and he climbed to the presidency on it first, while he still hasn't actually hung yet, unfortunately. 

Social media spawns impatience, he'll get his, don't fret. 

10 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Has anyone visited Redcafe?

Every single Manchester United player is hung, drawn and quartered on a daily basis... by Manchester United fans.

The supposed "fans" call their players "turds" and "pathetic", etc.

It is so strange to me. I think the more immediateness of everything has given fans an entitlement to express their opinion (no matter how toxic or how negative it is).

I grew up in the age of waking up each morning to check on the gossip on teletext, a daily newspaper, and then I went to school and went about my day. Blissfully unaware and uncaring about developments, as I had my own life to lead.

Now it's different. Now it's all 24/7 and on the pulse stuff. Not one minute passes without knowing what player is thinking of what a club is doing or what an agent has up his sleeve.

I definitely get what the OP is saying. That it's a constant stream of gossip and sniping and abuse, etc. But it's more than just football, that's what social media and the Internet has brought all facets of the world.

Personally, I'm not a part of social media.

My only social media footprint is Reddit, and that's not for football.

On a daily basis I check on the BBC Sports gossip page (both the Scotland and England version), here, Redcafe and a Scotland site, and that's pretty much it as far Football goes.

I try to keep it as old school as possible. 

Human beings are mere Ants in the eyes of Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, etc. 

I don't play along.

What is making it worse is how it now spills off the internet- witness Man U fans booing Maguire every time he touched the ball in a friendly because they don't think he's played very well. It used to be the most mental opinions stayed online but not anymore. 

• Like 1

On 24/07/2022 at 10:41, Pugin said:

Now, social media seems to set a mood which dictates that anything less than consistent winning is a reason to turn on the club we support. Not just Norwich - many other clubs are far, far worse. And it's always a loud minority of social media that succeeds in setting the agenda, increasingly feeding into other influencers such as the press, radio and TV. Who is setting this agenda? we have no idea at all but it is no exaggeration to say that some individuals appear to be on the psychopathic spectrum. Cruel, no conscience, destructive, untruthful.

I think it's a mixture of things. Traditional printed media is dying and resorting to sensational click bait style headlines to try to sell.

Then you have the 'influencers'. Youngsters barely out of their teens looking for media careers, who work very hard, and like criticising but ultimately have paper thin egos.

Stuart Webber's conduct over the past twelve months has been pretty odious and honestly pathetic, but I do have a degree of sympathy. I don't think it's very professional of him though.

I agree a good original post. Hope you enjoy your season. No substitute for going to games and meeting people, hearing their views. 2 examples, Saints away last season meeting a City fan exile who moved to South Coast with the navy. Secondly at Orient, got talking to guy nearby, turns out he’s a City season ticket holder who lives near myself in east London.

Really thankful for TNC, Michael Bailey over last few years. Like a lot of people I’m still getting used to managing social media, much like I had to get used to email at work, or my mobile phone. I’ve no doubt it’s potentially addictive and polarising, and somewhat more difficult to walk away from than those old style pub bores. 

On 24/07/2022 at 10:41, Pugin said:

I started watching football way back when expectations were lower, sense of entitlement was reserved to the top teams, defeat was accepted as something that some seasons would come along as often as victory. Basically, the point of attending games was to enjoy the experience. And we all seemed to enjoy the ups and downs. The downs made the ups all the sweeter.

Now, social media seems to set a mood which dictates that anything less than consistent winning is a reason to turn on the club we support. Not just Norwich - many other clubs are far, far worse. And it's always a loud minority of social media that succeeds in setting the agenda, increasingly feeding into other influencers such as the press, radio and TV. Who is setting this agenda? we have no idea at all but it is no exaggeration to say that some individuals appear to be on the psychopathic spectrum. Cruel, no conscience, destructive, untruthful.

Anyone discovering football for the first time is likely to be indoctrinated with a spirit of criticism and blame because, statistically, about 4 teams in each division will succeed and that vast majority will 'fail'.

It's unhealthy; it will get worse not better; it targets players and managers; and it erodes the pleasure that many of us still get from attending games. I have bought a season ticket this season for the first time ever. Football will be a great break from life's real unpleasant challenges, not an extension of them.

Spot on. 

• Like 1

On 24/07/2022 at 10:59, Captain Holt said:

I would leave social media in an instant if there was a viable alternative to get news as instantly as twitter allows. Twitter without humans would be just about perfect.

Isn't that why Elon Musk pulled out of the deal to buy twitter though, finding out its just a load of bots talking to each other?

1 hour ago, corbs said:

I agree a good original post. Hope you enjoy your season. No substitute for going to games and meeting people, hearing their views. 2 examples, Saints away last season meeting a City fan exile who moved to South Coast with the navy. Secondly at Orient, got talking to guy nearby, turns out he’s a City season ticket holder who lives near myself in east London.

Really thankful for TNC, Michael Bailey over last few years. Like a lot of people I’m still getting used to managing social media, much like I had to get used to email at work, or my mobile phone. I’ve no doubt it’s potentially addictive and polarising, and somewhat more difficult to walk away from than those old style pub bores. 

Thanks Corbs, and others. In my opinion Michael Bailey is in a league apart as he always takes a mature view and I don't feel that he is expressing anything other than his own personal thoughts and observations, without a thought for what may be doing the rounds on social media.

MB also understands that he is an adjunct observer to the game, and will never know the real machinations that those behind closed doors know and understand.

The rest of the mainstream press and media have occasionally make mistakes that MB never makes - trying too hard, wrongly analysing tactics, assessing players' performances badly and so on. 

But anyhow, back to the main point and it's great to see that there does still seem to be a groundswell of common sense and enlightened people who, like me, will enjoy the rough with the smooth and keep the whole damn shooting match in some sort of perspective 🙂

Edited by Pugin
Spelling
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Isn't that why Elon Musk pulled out of the deal to buy twitter though, finding out its just a load of bots talking to each other?

That's the excuse he gave, yes.

It has for me, and I limit myself only to YouTube and the HYS on the beeb. The vitriol just on those two platforms, ‘go down and stay down’, ‘waste of space, don’t deserve a place in the EPL’ etc., made a disappointing season positively miserable. I’ve perked up a bit but it’s ridiculous that a part of me doesn’t want to see us get promoted again. I mean, I’m awfully proud of my city, and my club, and it’s painful to read such rubbish. Unfortunately it’s difficult to distance yourself entirely from it. 

• Like 2

On 25/07/2022 at 19:14, corbs said:

TNC are the very worst example of social media 'journalism'. Total bolloxx, lad bible content aired purely to get clicks and money. The fact that C Reeve is making a living out of stealing content on social media both through TNC and his own social media marketing company is a disgrace. 

You takes your choice. Our exchange is a good example of what we talking about. I owe them a debt as they helped me (and others) through covid days. Good luck to them if they boost their careers. 

2 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

TNC are the very worst example of social media 'journalism'. Total bolloxx, lad bible content aired purely to get clicks and money. The fact that C Reeve is making a living out of stealing content on social media both through TNC and his own social media marketing company is a disgrace. 

Two likeable ,hardcore,diehard Norwich fans doing a job they love and also raising money for good causes , not sure why people have an issue with them.🤔