Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Why are so many pant wetting over a friendly?

¬†Just seems a bit strange that a week back we beat Marseille 3-0 and a lot of people were being all 'don't get excited it means nothing the results of all our friendlies are meaningless it's just a friendly these results mean nothing.." and yet it seems some of these very same people are now crying about how our loss to Celtic means Smith is a poor manager and we are not going up.. It's all rather odd ūü§Ē

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 3

Well there's no point in having matchday threads for pre season friendlies if you're not allowed to make a negative comment. Likewise positive comments aren't appropriate either if it's only a friendly.

On that basis I'm not expecting to see a matchday thread today else what will we talk about?

19 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Why are so many pant wetting over so many pant wetting over a friendly?

Well, I think he's right, for a change. 

There does seem to be far more of a negative reaction to yesterday's defeat than there was a positive reaction to the Marseille win. It seems that many have hit the panic button already.

• Like 6

Its not all pant wetting, id just like to see the team looking more like a team, 1 week before the season starts.  A little more cohesiveness, a plan to get the ball to pukki and a plan to transition from defence to attack.  The results dont matter, but a bit more progress on these would have been good

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Haus said:

Its not all pant wetting, id just like to see the team looking more like a team, 1 week before the season starts.  A little more cohesiveness, a plan to get the ball to pukki and a plan to transition from defence to attack.  The results dont matter, but a bit more progress on these would have been good

Exactly this. Anybody with a brain who has watched the pre-season games can see the issues with feeding the ball to Pukki. Sinani looks as though he can pick a pass,but unless Sara is going to be the answer to producing the service Pukki needs,then maybe....,and I know people on here will shout me down,but maybe,Pukki will not be an obvious starter this season,and we may have a more physical presence up front.

I think by the same metric as ‚Äėdon‚Äôt judge Smith on preseason‚Äô we probably shouldn‚Äôt judge players on one game of¬†preseason either. I think McCallum has had an ok preseason all told but you wrote him off yesterday CC. I‚Äôve certainly not seen much more out of Dimi that suggests that position is categorically his.¬†

Not pant wetting personally but I am concerned about our lack of midfielders, especially fit ones.

No idea.

Remember when you **** your pants every time a player we were linked with signed elsewhere despite no evidence we were actually in for them?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

No idea.

Remember when you **** your pants every time a player we were linked with signed elsewhere despite no evidence we were actually in for them?

A good deal of concern shown from threads showing who Hull have signed too. 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

On that basis I'm not expecting to see a matchday thread today else what will we talk about?

Answer "Why isn't there a thread about today's friendly?"

32 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

One assumes Chelsea and Brentford fans are probably doing the same today.

Yes, Chelsea lost 4-0 to Arsenal, yet I can't imagine many on here betting on Arsenal finishing above them.

3 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

A good deal of concern shown from threads showing who Hull have signed too. 

And Forest and they're not even in the same 'kin Division!

• Haha 1

Why do some call mild concern and criticism ‚Äúpant wetting‚ÄĚ? As if any slight discussion of troubling issues ahead to the season constitutes a total melt down; when in truth it is simply an airing of thoughts on a discussion board. That for me is the real question!¬†

• Like 1

We have been tild Smith needs a pre season and transfer window before judging him.  Well almost an entire pre season has passed and a transfer window which seems not to be of Smith's input.  And we are looking devoid of creativity and no percieved improvement in the midfield of the current crop.  Pant wetting if thats what it is, rather than concern for the future of City going forward, is the order of the day.  Lets see if we can get some positivity from todays performance.  But don't expect dry pants this season.

It's also worth noting most go into these final pre season games with the first target to avoid injury 

But on the plus side, if we don't know what formation we will play or what style, the opposition won't know how to prepare to nullify us tactically. 

Maybe it's a stroke of genius going for a surprise element 

1 hour ago, pete said:

We have been tild Smith needs a pre season and transfer window before judging him.  Well almost an entire pre season has passed and a transfer window which seems not to be of Smith's input.  And we are looking devoid of creativity and no percieved improvement in the midfield of the current crop.  Pant wetting if thats what it is, rather than concern for the future of City going forward, is the order of the day.  Lets see if we can get some positivity from todays performance.  But don't expect dry pants this season.

Where does it say Smith needs a window and preseason?? I’m not going to judge him on pre season non competitive games. I understand if it was judging him after seeing his signings and a period of the actual season, but as neither of these has started I’m not going to judge him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Why do some call mild concern and criticism ‚Äúpant wetting‚ÄĚ? As if any slight discussion of troubling issues ahead to the season constitutes a total melt down; when in truth it is simply an airing of thoughts on a discussion board. That for me is the real question!¬†

The OP has been whining all summer about the lack of transfer activity. Seems to be morphing into Percy Positive just to get a few Pinkun likes. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

There’s mild concern, and then there’s over the top diatribes which they often fall into.  It’s preseason.   The idea of the execrcise is to get fitness and match-sharp, whilst avoiding injury, results are largely irrelevant in such games and always have been….but some seem to only be interested in the result, and then only when we lose.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Well there's no point in having matchday threads for pre season friendlies if you're not allowed to make a negative comment. Likewise positive comments aren't appropriate either if it's only a friendly.

On that basis I'm not expecting to see a matchday thread today else what will we talk about.

To be fair, Cambridge is right, the majority of people were not making comments like "we are going to win the league" after or during the Marseille game. Actually, the vast majority of positive comments were much more calm and balanced, just picking out aspects they liked.

Veeery different to the "well it's not been 10mins and we look carp" type of comments yesterday. People heavily slating the club, suggesting we should be in for another <insert position on pitch> when actually we already are. Others suggesting we'll be lucky to be top six. Threads about Dean Smith not being good enough. And despite the actual game being to the contrary, "why do we persist with long ball tactics" or "there is no 'theme' or approach".

It was all incredibly over the top negativity yesterday even though we knew these two games in particular, would be a fairly difficult affair that we wouldn't draw much from because in neither game could we really put out our strongest 11 available, not considering injuries. 

Right, on a level hear DCB. Not being nasty, as I got told off before.

I would say that the vast majority of your posts are of a negative nature. Criticism, often without being constructive. And at times, often na√Įve of information freely available in free articles from the club or the PinkUn.

One example I'll give. In several different places now you have made reference to the need for another CM. That alone isn't a huge issue, but you present it in a way that the club doesn't share this need. This is on the back of the sale of Lees-Melou... in the very same article his likely sale was shared, a comment from Smith literally read "we will be looking to replace him".

If you want to be considered more seriously, and seen as less negative, first of all you need to leave your politics and religion on the backburner, and secondly, you need to offer more balanced views.

Saying that we were getting bossed about within the first ten minutes of the game yesterday was not only incredibly negative, it was an incorrect view of the game. Neither team were particularly controlling that period of the game, and to dress it up so drastically can only be deliberately negative. Inside ten minutes as well is poorly knee jerk. Let alone a pre-season friendly. 

Personally I've been wetting my pants since Dean Smith got the gig as our manager. Still haven't worked out why the club employed a failing manager.

• Like 1

Not overly concerned about pre-season results, but there does seem to be a lack of creativity and cohesion in the team. Hopefully they'll up it for the real stuff. 

• Like 1

I'm not convinced that there is a huge amount of competition for places and that's something I really wanted to see from this pre season.

When does the transfer window close? Our midfield looks woeful, but then again we haven't even seen Sara or Hayden. One has to hope they stay injury free and get up to speed quickly, along with the PLM replacement, and that gives us some real strength and protection in the centre we've been missing 

Never judge a team’s strength on their pre-season friendlies. It was a very poor performance against Celtic in comparison to the starting XI, although the first goal should have been disallowed for offside and the second was down to a poor pass by McCallum, who I think will probably be backup for Giannoulis this season. Friendlies are also used to try out new players and tactics, and although I do believe players try very hard to do well I’m not convinced they take them quite as seriously as league fixtures, as the result of the game means nothing. As with all games, you’ve also got to take absentees into account - Hayden and Sara sound good so why didn’t they even feature in the squad? With Hanley being our captain and first choice CB you would expect him to usually play the full 90 minutes so why on earth was he subbed at HT?

I’m not bothered about the game against Hibs either. The performance was better than yesterday’s, and before the Celtic game Smith said he wanted to try and give all of his squad 90 minutes of game time - are we really expecting Tomkinson, Shipley, and Hills to be above Hanley, Omobamidele and Gibson in the CB pecking order this season? I think Sorensen, Hayden and Byram will be above them

Hayden and Sara are coming back from injuries, so only a mug would risk exacerbating that , when both are doing rehab. Hanley picked up a knock 1st half , taken off as a precaution .

14 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

Hayden and Sara sound good so why didn’t they even feature in the squad? With Hanley being our captain and first choice CB you would expect him to usually play the full 90 minutes so why on earth was he subbed at

Chill your beans.