norwichsteve

Would Celtic win the Championship?

Chroisht!! If Celtic ended up playing in the Premier league then Man u and Liverpool can kiss goodbhoy!! to 90% of their Irish Reds... There'd be a massive surge of extra support for them worldwide too.  The ' Catholic Team' .

If Celtic and Rangers were to enter English football you would expect them to eventually establish themselves in the Premier League, just by sheer size of each club,  Celtic however are probably the bigger of the two due to their international support, probably end up being Arsenal/Chelsea type of status, with Rangers being a Villa/Everton. 

I don't think it should ever be allowed to happen though, particularly with the threat of independence, and Celtic fans almost always seem to be SNP voters so that should be an immediate veto. Its bad enough that we have Welsh clubs in the English league, imagine having clubs from an entirely separate nation state, might as well have a team from Paris and a team from Amsterdam in the league if we do that, then we're halfway from having a European league! 

As for current ability of the Celtic and Rangers teams, probably yo-yo team level like Fulham and Watford? (not sure about us anymore, no idea how 'good' we currently are).

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I'm guessing the OP's original question was more along the lines of would that Celtic team we played Saturday win the Championship this year all things being the same as a way to gauge where we're at right now going into this season. In my opinion they would certainly be top 3 or 4 and are better than us right now so probably should win it but you never know with the Championship and how many weird results you get. I think that Celtic team would struggle in the PL though but probably do better than we did. 

As someone has mentioned, Rangers got to the final of the Europa League, and to my delight lost. Though managed to beat Borussia Dortmund on the way.

The idea that even on current standard they wouldn't be a Premier League side, or be a yo-yo club like Fulham, is ridiculous. No Championship side would ever make the final of the Europa League. West Ham and Leicester had a chance to and failed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

As someone has mentioned, Rangers got to the final of the Europa League, and to my delight lost. Though managed to beat Borussia Dortmund on the way.

The idea that even on current standard they wouldn't be a Premier League side, or be a yo-yo club like Fulham, is ridiculous. No Championship side would ever make the final of the Europa League. West Ham and Leicester had a chance to and failed.

Momentum and togetherness can carry mediocre teams a long way, like that time Greece won the Euros with no superstars.

Rangers have just signed Tom Lawrence, suspect he'll be brilliant in the SPL. Reckon he had Premier League interest? 

That said, their current squad is clearly a lot better than ours.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Scottish football isn't the greatest of standards, but it's raw and honest and it has a habit of showing up players who go into it thinking that it'll be a breeze.

I love watching Scottish football, reminds me of what English football was in the 90s, especially if you watch Kilmarnock versus Motherwell or something. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I genuinely believe England would have won another World Cup or a European Championships if Sky didn't turn it into a Europe Superleague. I think so. 

The media ruined England's international chances with all that 'golden generation'  ****. Overhyping lampard and Gerrard when the team should've been built around scholars who was much better than both. That and the classic building people up only to delight when they made a mistake. 

There was that manager who was gonna join Chelsea. The media wet themselves about it and he decided he couldn't be arsed with the hassle of it and just wanted to do his job so pulled out. Was that scolari? Or did I imagine the whole thing? 

Apologies for wandering off topic ...

• Like 1

Without the pull of European football and the extra revenue that brings they would be no more than new Astley pre takeover. They are well supported but only rich and attractive because they are huge fish in a small pond, take that away and they join the glut of at best mediocre prem teams and wouldn't find it easy to get out of the champs without external funding. However, with their fanbase they would be a very tempting target for very rich people to take over and if that were to happen then they would be challenging for the top 6 in the pl.

Edited by cornish sam

10 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Maybe, but maybe not.

People thought that about Aaron Ramsey when he joined Rangers on loan. He really struggled.

Same with Shane Duffy at Celtic from Brighton. He is a Celtic fan but the amount of abuse be received from "his own" puts the Maguire abuse from United fans in the shade. 

Amad was expected to rip up the SPL, but he couldn't break into the Rangers team when he joined on loan from Manchester United. 

Scottish football isn't the greatest of standards, but it's raw and honest and it has a habit of showing up players who go into it thinking that it'll be a breeze.

Going back a bit, Roy Keane whilst in the twilight of his career, joined Celtic amidst a lot of fanfare and then his debut featured a major cup upset with the Bhoys losing to Clyde. He did ok for the the rest of the season, but only ok. Admittedly he did then have to retire on medical advice.

11 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Momentum and togetherness can carry mediocre teams a long way, like that time Greece won the Euros with no superstars.

Rangers have just signed Tom Lawrence, suspect he'll be brilliant in the SPL. Reckon he had Premier League interest? 

That said, their current squad is clearly a lot better than ours.

For sure, the best teams in cup competitions frequently don't win. Rangers were not the best team in the Europa League by a long stretch, as evidenced by the fact that they were in it with Celtic, who were objectively better than them last season on the basis of a full season's evidence from the league scores. Likewise, if Euro 2004 was done as a round robin and not the usual group stage/knockout format, no one believes Greece would have won. But a Championship side, even one as dominant as Norwich were under Farke or Fulham were last season, would never win the Europa League, which is across a season, not a few weeks in the summer, the way Rangers did. And I hate to say that as I despise Rangers almost as much as Ipswich.

If they entered the Championship this season, I genuinely believe they'd be top two and probably 20 points ahead of 3rd.

I don't think the current Celtic or Rangers teams would survive in the PL. Top 6 Champs at best. But once in there, with their support, the money and the international following, they would quickly be top 10 following some player purchases. It won't happen though.