rock bus

Is anyone convinced by Dean Smith?

Farke style doesn't work in the premier league unless you have money. Strong technical players come with a price tag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

I’m afraid it’s nothing like Farke in season 1, you could see from the off what he was trying to achieve and how he wanted us to play, Smith has had 3/4 of a season and a full pre season and I’ve still no idea about what his tactics are and what we are trying to achieve!

I'm not sure Smith really tried to implement a style of play last season. We saw glimpses of the pressing he wanted during the games where Idah played up top with Pukki but his injury pretty much ended that.

During this pre season we have consistently seen one of a couple of formations and and a side clearly working on it's pressing. The lack of stability and creativity in midfield is almost certainly what Hayden and Sara have been signed to give so we're still a way off seeing the side Smith wants to put out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Having been to many forums over the years and listening to numerous managers/head coaches such as Martin O'Neill, Mike Walker, Glen Roeder, Alex Neil, Chris Hughton, Peter Grant, Paul Lambert, Daniel Farke et al i have to say that i left the forum Thursday night unimpressed with what i heard

I went to one with Roeder and came out impressed with everything he said. Thought he spoke alot of sense and look how that turned out!

I have often accused Smith of playing a form of hoofball, and I have to admit that today was not hoofball. The problem is that the only time we have looked even slightly competent under Smith is when we have played long balls, either upfront or to the diagonals. On every other occasion there has been no sign at all of any shape or plan or structure or joined-up thinking. 

• Like 1

What we need is a tactically wise manager who can change the game depending on the opposition. Hence the reason for different types of players in the squad.

1 minute ago, The Raptor said:

I went to one with Roeder and came out impressed with everything he said. Thought he spoke alot of sense and look how that turned out!

I know what you are saying and the same with Peter Grant so all we can hope is that S&S prove me and those who are also inconvinced wrong.

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Funny how when we beat Marseille these same people that are now saying "I dont like Smith we are not going up.." were then saying "it's only pre season don't take anything from these results they mean nothing..."

I’ve said that all along - win, lose or draw.  I stopped using preseason to judge anything 20-30 years ago.  It always seemed the worse we did the better the season went. 

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’ve said that all along - win, lose or draw.  I stopped using preseason to judge anything 20-30 years ago.  It always seemed the worse we did the better the season went. 

If you think people are judging Smith on just this preseason you were clearly asleep for  3/4 of the previous season and the absolute dross that was served up!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

If you think people are judging Smith on just this preseason you were clearly asleep for  3/4 of the previous season and the absolute dross that was served up!

Well done for missing the point: where were these comments in the last month, when preseason results were ok? The answer is: nowhere.

If your opinion is that he’s not up to it to it, that’s fine by me.  But it seems there’s many who only think it when we lose - that’s just ridiculous.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well done for missing the point: where were these comments in the last month, when preseason results were ok? The answer is: nowhere.

If your opinion is that he’s not up to it to it, that’s fine by me.  But it seems there’s many who only think it when we lose - that’s just ridiculous.

There was plenty of people not happy with Smith last season and if you actually read the board you will see plenty before our defeat today!

I agree it’s ridiculous to base anything on pre season.

Edited by wheres my rebate gone?
  • Like 1

Just now, wheres my rebate gone? said:

There was plenty of people not happy with Smith last season and if you actually read the board you will see plenty before our defeat today!

I'm on the fence, I was unhappy last season but fine with giving him a transfer window and some time but if we're not at the top end of the table come January then the writing will be on the wall

1 minute ago, AJ said:

I'm on the fence, I was unhappy last season but fine with giving him a transfer window and some time but if we're not at the top end of the table come January then the writing will be on the wall

I'm generally supportive of Smith but totally agree he's got to have us near the top by November or his position is up for discussion. 

Just now, AJ said:

Pretty much this for me. But give him time. In the October in Farkes second season I'd given up and him and we were going to ditch our season tickets if there wasn't a big improvement by renewal time. Luckily I was proved wrong and hopefully will be again!

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

That’s completely fair - I don’t think anyone could be against getting rid of things aren’t going ok - perhaps by the break for the world cup.

The thing is I’m not particularly pro or anti )I was the same with DF - when others wanted him binned I thought it ridiculous)- I just want what’s best and we don’t yet know what that is. Smith’s record stands up to reasonable scrutiny despite some trying to show otherwise, and he deserves a chance.

But it’s simply astonishing how many naysayers are coming out of the woodwork this evening…where were they last week?!

I get that Farke has good will saved up but people seem to be forgetting how long it took for for Norwich to build fluency even in the last Championship season. 

4 minutes ago, AJ said:

Everyone is untitled to their opinion and you want to give him time, as are those who think he is a good manager (hopefully they are correct), you can probably tell I wish he wasn’t here, I’m worried that we will leave it too late to get rid of him and then we will be in real trouble.

Just now, AJ said:

I don't think he's got until January tbh. There's not much goodwill in the bank. Partly a Webber thing and partly because Farke was so well liked.

We have a fairly straightforward start in terms of opposition and expectations will be high.

39 minutes ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

I’m afraid it’s nothing like Farke in season 1, you could see from the off what he was trying to achieve and how he wanted us to play, Smith has had 3/4 of a season and a full pre season and I’ve still no idea about what his tactics are and what we are trying to achieve!

I get it and in no way am I defending Smith as for me the jury is out, however let’s see some of his ( I presume) signings when they are fit.Fir me I will reiterate, I don’t think Smith is the right fit for us and I think Webber ruined us last summer window and from that we won’t recover. IMO we will not make the top two this season and until the transfer window closes I will reserve judgement on top 6.

Nope not at all, but let’s see in ten games time, there’s a reason those loans went out to other teams last season and they’re not really new signings just a year older!

I hope people don’t start to try and defend him again by saying not his squad as this is the same squad! He’s had two transfers to push changes!

4 minutes ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

Everyone is untitled to their opinion and you want to give him time, as are those who think he is a good manager (hopefully they are correct), you can probably tell I wish he wasn’t here, I’m worried that we will leave it too late to get rid of him and then we will be in real trouble.

This is my worry, too. He's not rubbish; he'll get us to 8th or 9th. Then everyone will say, 'He needs more time, he hasn't got his own squad, he's building something here, look at Brentford, blah blah blah'. And the following season we come 8th or 9th again, parachutes have gone, we have to sell any good young players we have, and we're just another mediocre championship club. IMO, we need someone inspirational this season and Dean Smith is not inspirational.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

I get it and in no way am I defending Smith as for me the jury is out, however let’s see some of his ( I presume) signings when they are fit.Fir me I will reiterate, I don’t think Smith is the right fit for us and I think Webber ruined us last summer window and from that we won’t recover. IMO we will not make the top two this season and until the transfer window closes I will reserve judgement on top 6.

Yep, Webber window a disaster.

What's the point in changing manager when he's in charge of recruitment.

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

This is my worry, too. He's not rubbish; he'll get us to 8th or 9th. Then everyone will say, 'He needs more time, he hasn't got his own squad, he's building something here, look at Brentford, blah blah blah'. And the following season we come 8th or 9th again, parachutes have gone, we have to sell any good young players we have, and we're just another mediocre championship club. IMO, we need someone inspirational this season and Dean Smith is not inspirational.

You seem to have a crystal ball - tonight’s lottery results might be handy if you have them😀?

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

I think Webber would definitely be happy that Smith takes the blame in this scenario, rather than his dreadful recruitment. 

3 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

No chance in hell  the fans will be up for giving him more time if we miss out on the playoffs.

40 minutes ago, Rolf Harris said:

Farke style doesn't work in the premier league unless you have money. Strong technical players come with a price tag.

This is the issue, we are trying to change the style of the team with minimal personnel changes due to budget.

Anyone expecting this to be anything less than slow and painful is in for a shock in my opinion. I’m convinced that it needs to happen unfortunately, not convinced yet Dean is the best man to oversee it, we’ll see.

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

You seem to have a crystal ball - tonight’s lottery results might be handy if you have them?

It's my honest prediction. Most people on here make predictions. Some are saying we'll finish top two, some are saying play-offs, some are saying lower half. I don't mind putting my neck on the line. Where do you think we'll finish? Or don't you do predictions because you much prefer to sneer from the sidelines?

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think Webber would definitely be happy that Smith takes the blame in this scenario, rather than his dreadful recruitment. 

Havent we seen that before somewhere?

We should have given smith till the summer and not a full three year contract, we could have got rid in May and gone after Robins, someone with a style and getting the best on a budget with young players! Proven at Covvy.