rock bus

Is anyone convinced by Dean Smith?

I know we’re still in pre season but I’m really struggling to get behind smith.

As some mentioned in the  match thread today, it’s not about the results but the apparent continued lack of understanding about what style and formation we are building to. It still just looks like a bunch of individuals with no sense of cohesion. I honestly don’t think he has a clue which players are his starting 11 or the formation.

Even the transfers in and out seem totally haphazard. 

He also has the unfair problem of following such a loved and charismatic manager. That’s totally not his fault but he feels like a stop gap girlfriend you’ll use to get over your ex before you find the next right one.

it’s not what I want but I’d be very surprised if he is still our manager at Christmas 

• Like 10

I haven't seen anything improve since Farke left in all honesty and all the main issues were still very clearly on display again today. Yes we've got Hayden and Sara to come in but clearly the system as a whole doesn't work.

I've not seen Smith stamp anything on this squad whatsoever. Farke came in and made it clear we were doing things a certain way. Alex Neil did similar. Smith seems to just let them do what they want and sadly they don't seem to know what they're doing.

Not massively, but I do think in Shakespeare we've got an excellent number two in terms of pedigree and I do like some of his thinking, especially getting Allan Russell in as a set-piece coach. At the same time, if we have to take one lesson from our time under Farke (and I agree with you in that there is a massively increased likelihood of a "halo effect" on the man replacing such a popular former manager) then it is this: give them time.

It took over a season from tabula rasa for Farkeball to "click". Smith's only just now getting a chance to put his team together after inheriting Farke's squad. What we're seeing here is the side-effects of a decision by Webber that may have actually knocked the club backwards a fair bit, and more time for Smith to set his stall out may (or may not, this is all in the future) be the solution.

• Like 3

Was anyone convinced by Farke during his first season?

No I’m not convinced, but I’d like to see a finished revamp of the squad and Sara and Hayden not injured and playing.

When we have had a settled run of games with those boxes ticked I feel I might be able to make a judgement.

Right now it still feels like I’m watching a makeshift team who are learning new tactics. 

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Not massively, but I do think in Shakespeare we've got an excellent number two in terms of pedigree and I do like some of his thinking, especially getting Allan Russell in as a set-piece coach. At the same time, if we have to take one lesson from our time under Farke (and I agree with you in that there is a massively increased likelihood of a "halo effect" on the man replacing such a popular former manager) then it is this: give them time.

It took over a season from tabula rasa for Farkeball to "click". Smith's only just now getting a chance to put his team together after inheriting Farke's squad. What we're seeing here is the side-effects of a decision by Webber that may have actually knocked the club backwards a fair bit, and more time for Smith to set his stall out may (or may not, this is all in the future) be the solution.

Excellent post. I genuinely think we need to temper our expectations because it’s going to take time for this to work. Unfortunately we don’t have a great deal of time with fans as last season was so abject. 

Far too early to be sticking the knife into Deano just yet, the competitive season hasn't even started!

There are undoubted areas for concern and it's better he identifys them now. In some ways is good we lost to Celtic and played poorly as it neans a hell of a lot of focus and hard work.

We don't seem to understand the system we are trying to play which is more of a worry.

I was expecting a lot more cohesion by this stage I have to say.

Not convinced. 

There are some here who think Farke was football god incarnate. They ignored his lack of tactical ability and his repeatedly shown inability to change games because he imposed an attractive style, clearly improved players he worked with and built a connection with fans.  

I strongly disagree with a lot of the criticism that comes Smiths way on the basis that he isn't Farke. He doesn't play the same attractive football and doesn't have the same connection. 

But I also don't see what he's trying to do. I don't think he has improved anything, really. I remain open minded because ultimately he's trying to do this with a group of players he has inherited. But if by Christmas the same fundamental issues that cost is massively in the Premier League and were present in today's friendly are still costing us, I think my patience will likely run out.

It’s astonishing none of these ‘Smith is crap’ threads appeared during preseason, before today.  I wonder why!?  Some have clearly just been itching to post at the first opportunity.

He needs to be given a chance, just as Farke had. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

Until Hayden and Sara are fit to start, it's still the same squad (returning loanees aside) as last season.

That means a lack of creativity in midfield for Pukki. Lack of protection from midfield for the defence. And assorted fitness problems.

We may have to be patient this season. It could take at least two transfer windows for Smith to get close to a first eleven he can call his own.

• Like 1

I think Smith is just one of those managers that whether we are winning or losing I just struggle to warm to. 

I think when he leaves here he'll soon be forgotten. 

• Like 1

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Would we have seen this thread after battering Marseille last week? I doubt it. 

You can't read much into pre-season, whether good or bad. We've had great pre-seasons followed by poor seasons and vice versa.

I don't necessarily think this topic needs to be linked to a friendly performance. Personally feel it's a relevant issue going into the new season.

I am not convinced but it feels like Farke in season one, Smith needs time. Unfortunately I don’t think time and patience will be on his side and a lot of the blame for that sits with Webber. Poor start and he will be gone by the World Cup break. Just don’t think the majority of fans have taken to him, I haven’t really, but he still feels a bit meh to me, says the right PR things but lacks any passion to City.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

I think Smith is just one of those managers that whether we are winning or losing I just struggle to warm to. 

I think when he leaves here he'll soon be forgotten. 

Lambert, Neil and Farke all stick in my mind in recent years because they were such characters. Smith falls in with Hughton, and Adams for me. All nice guys but no bite. 

• Like 2

I thought he was the wrong appointment in November. Doubted myself in January. Back on my original thinking now.

I was doubtful when people said give him a transfer window and I don’t see any reason to be convinced yet.

seems like reasonably nice guy though and I still hope I’ll be proven wrong.

• Like 1

We've had all pre-season without our two new midfield signings, so one hopes we'll look much more solid once they're integrated.

Still way to early to judge Smith. Of all the £9m+ signings last season, Tzolis now out on loan, and not much to get excited still from Rashica & Sargent pre-season, so we better hope they come good else Smith will be stuck with Webbers "other people p*ss our money away, and by heck I've done exactly the same" 🙂

At least Sinani & Cantwell are looking good. We know another midfield is inbound and who else might go/come in before the window closes, so could still be a very different looking first 11 to last season

What I will say is we started very slowly in both Seasons under Farke when we went on to win the EFL, so we can't stick knives in too quickly to Smith    

• Like 1

Didn’t want him appointed and was hugely disappointed when he was. As of yet he’s done nothing to make me change my mind but now is the season where he can be fairly judged 

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s astonishing none of these ‘Smith is crap’ threads appeared during preseason, before today.  I wonder why!?  Some have clearly just been itching to post at the first opportunity.

Hmmm, plenty on the Knutsen thread saying they felt there were grounds to sack Dean Smith, and that was "before today". I wasn't one of them, but they were definitely there. 

We need to be in the top 6 as we go into the break for the world cup. That will give us enough time and games to see what we are all about.

5 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

I am not convinced but it feels like Farke in season one, Smith needs time. Unfortunately I don’t think time and patience will be on his side and a lot of the blame for that sits with Webber. Poor start and he will be gone by the World Cup break. Just don’t think the majority of fans have taken to him, I haven’t really, but he still feels a bit meh to me, says the right PR things but lacks any passion to City.

I’m afraid it’s nothing like Farke in season 1, you could see from the off what he was trying to achieve and how he wanted us to play, Smith has had 3/4 of a season and a full pre season and I’ve still no idea about what his tactics are and what we are trying to achieve!

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not particularly, is anyone convinced by Webber?

He talks a good game in interviews when we’re flying high in the championship. I’ve missed all the ones he’s done when we’ve been embarrassed in the PL to fairly judge him though…

2 minutes ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

I’m afraid it’s nothing like Farke in season 1, you could see from the off what he was trying to achieve and how he wanted us to play, Smith has had 3/4 of a season and a full pre season and I’ve still no idea about what his tactics are and what we are trying to achieve!

In that case neither do the other 23 managers and can't prepare to play against us 😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

This is my main concern. There was always a plan from day 1 with Farke, it was clear to see how he wanted to play, he just needed the players and the time to implement it. I’ve no idea still how Smith wants us to play

Having been to many forums over the years and listening to numerous managers/head coaches such as Martin O'Neill, Mike Walker, Glen Roeder, Alex Neil, Chris Hughton, Peter Grant, Paul Lambert, Daniel Farke et al i have to say that i left the forum Thursday night unimpressed with what i heard. Smith and Shakespeare did not inspire me at all in what they said and i got in my car afterwards having not been uplifted   for this coming season. Others on here who were there may think otherwise but hey just my opinion.

However i am not getting on their case for being uninspiring as the problem we might find ourselves in by Christmas if we don't make an impression as serious challengers for promotion lay squarely on the shoulders of Webber who has got himself in a bomb proof position no matter what he says or does.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Funny how when we beat Marseille these same people that are now saying "I dont like Smith we are not going up.." were then saying "it's only pre season don't take anything from these results they mean nothing..."

• Like 1

Pre-season is all about trying different things / players and to get match sharpness. But one pre-season defeat and the knives are out. As someone said earlier without our two new signings so it's last year's squad minus returned loanees.

I've never warmed to Smith's appointment. We had a style and identity under Farke, anyone care to have a go at explaining?

For me if we're not top 6 at the winter break he may well be a gonner, especially if Carrow Road is a toxic atmosphere come match day

Okay, hear me out here, I would say - yes, Smith's what we need.

The attraction of Farke was his extremely narrow / idealistic approach. It was dead easy for us fans to see exactly what he wanted us to do, and that was exhilarating, BUT it was darn obvious to our Premier League opponents too. After we dared to beat Man City we were worked out and unpicked.

Smith prefers a more flexible, robust, English style which will serve us better in the long run. We will be more adaptable and better moulded for top flight football. 

He's a very bright guy - have patience ... it'll work out in the end.

• Like 3