KiwiScot

****Official Lappinitup Match Thread - Celtic v Norwich****

3 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Spot on. The second half was so reminiscent of games against the likes of Palace last season. We tried hard, but we just weren't good enough. Sorry to bang my old drum, but I cannot see how Smith has moved us an inch forward since he arrived.

The good news is that we don't have to beat Celtic; we have to beat Rotherham and Bristol City and Preston.  

Very reminiscent of a lot of games last season in a sense that we had ball movers in midfield and no bite. Not really surprising considering McClean was our on midfielder playing. At full fitness we're playing Hayden and Sara, significantly more energy and bite in the midfield 3.

Edited by KeiranShikari

We lack the identity built up during Farke's time. It is proving to be quite difficult working out just what the manager is trying to do.

I can't help thinking that I'm seeing two footballing dinosaurs on the touchline whenever I see their puzzled faces constantly trying to work things out for the better.

However, again he was forced to put out a team without one single player of his own (signing.) Perhaps something will develop when his new boys get settled in.

Pre-season should offer more insight as it progresses. This one hasn't really. The Marseilles result flattered us. Today's result didn't flatter Celtic and the Cambridge game was a sweltering mess, imo.

I'm already beginning to feel that Cantwell seems wasted, so much running and a skill level equalled by some Celtic players, but none of our own, with the possible exception of Aarons on occasions.

Omo will likely be our most expensive sale ever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

That wasn't the point I was making.

You can't write off one performance that doesn't fit your narrative and draw sweeping conclusions from another performance that does. 

It just shows your opinion to be illogical and undermines your credibility entirely.

Oh dear.....

4 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Chicken and Hoggy the problem is- you would back the board, and assure us all is well, even if we were 10 goals down in L2. 

Jesus, you really are dreary aren't you?

You make up such BS sometimes. Please point to any post where I back the board to the degree you have pointed out. In fact, why not go and drag up all of the posts where I outlined that the change I would like to see, and this was before the US interest by the way, would be a slow takeover to ensure that the new owners cared about the community ethos behind our club and maintained it and respected it, much like the owners of Leicester.

Would I take anyone because I am just desperate for change at any cost? No. I'm also not stupid enough to believe that could happen in any case.

I also agreed that it was time for Farke to go, as reluctant as I was to admit so.

If you really want to do this I suggest you do a bit better. 

• Like 2

Just now, Unhinged Canary said:

Oh dear.....

Sorry did I use a few too many long words for you? 

Here's a chuckle brothers gif. It's obviously more your level.

oh-dear.gif.3bead0618971cb1c4de3a2d69d57f46f.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

I'm already beginning to feel that Cantwell seems wasted, so much running and a skill level equalled by some Celtic players, but none of our own, with the possible exception of Aarons on occasions.

I think Todd has shown that he can play the deeper position to a decent standard today. In that position he's clearly not being used to his full capability but we're also not going to be playing teams anywhere near as gifted as Celtic very often this season. 

Sinani and Cantwell in centre mid might work against Championship teams that sit in, but not against a team like Celtic at home. Looked very similar to last season, far too easy for then to push through centrally.

Underlines for me how very vital it is that Sara, Hayden and whoever else comes in solve the positional issue in the middle properly.

Interested to see who plays centre defence + midfield tomorrow as with Sorenson playing 45 mins already options seem light for both. Max also played 90

I watched the whole game. My thoughts are 

McCallum and Sargent are completely out of their depth 

Sinani is not much better and Rashica was disappointing

Our best player by far was Cantwell 

We need an Emi

We will get away with that performance against most teams in the Championship but we won't win it. 

• Like 2

I don't think that the quality in this league is that great, and I still think we will be promoted.

When Nutty Nigel gets this season's PUPs Pledges up and running I will be making a pledge based on how confident I am. For anyone who doubts that we will do well this year, how about making a pledge of your own?

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

We need an Emi

We will get away with that performance against most teams in the Championship but we won't win it. 

I agree with everything else but I must be the only one who thought McCullum had some very promising moments going forwards, which is obvious the direction of travel we’ll be looking for in the championship 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

I agree with everything else but I must be the only one who thought McCullum had some very promising moments going forwards, which is obvious the direction of travel we’ll be looking for in the championship 

I agree, thought he looked promising too. 

• Like 1

As a pointer to how the season will go, pre season results are utterly meaningless.

• Like 2

I do generally agree with the folks who say reading too much into preseason is always silly. However there is a caveat and that is you can still spot some themes or patterns emerging at times.

Last season for example I was increasingly concerned by how easily the better teams we played ripped through us in pre season and that bore out into the season.

This preseason, the theme (from the little I've watched, combined with the reporting from pinkun reporters and MB at the games, is a team who are struggling to create much from open play. It feels a lot of our goals have come from exploiting opposition mistakes. Whether this is down to other teams pre season rust or us forcing errors due to better pressing I do not know.

It could all click for us in the season, especially if Cantwell continues his rehabilitation and Rashica can get on his team mates wavelength. But if three or four games into the season the attack still appears blunt then worries from these games won't be entirely unfounded. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

My fear about the bedsheets is that people’s patience after last season won’t last long if we start poorly. Primark had better brace itself… that’s all I’m saying…

Get that plane booked?

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

We lack the identity built up during Farke's time. It is proving to be quite difficult working out just what the manager is trying to do.

I actually remember games like this under Farke too. Where we'd see the lion share of possession but it was all too slow and pedestrian which meant by the time we got into the final third we'd run out of space to run/pass into and didn't posses the individual trickery (bar the odd moments from the likes of Hernandez/Buendia/Cantwell) to dribble through and get a shot.

In fact, I would say that was often the issue in both Premier League campaigns. Often good with retention but without doing masses with it. Which is why we god plaudits from presenters and commentators but didn't get enough goals.

Needs to be quicker. On a number of occaisions today, rather than be brave and play more direct balls when the opportunity to break, we looked for more passes. Sometimes, you just have to break and use the space. 

46 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

My fear about the bedsheets is that people’s patience after last season won’t last long if we start poorly. Primark had better brace itself… that’s all I’m saying…

You think I am missing an opportunity like this? I've bought them up with the intention of selling them outside the ground on matchdays from a stolen Morrison's shopping trolley. I'm even going to do some half and half ones...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chicken said:

I disagree, first half we did look to press higher up, the issue with that is by winning the ball back in their final third, which we did on a few occasions, you have no space left for the movement of Pukki which means he isn't really getting the service he needs. Much better suited to a different type of striker. 

I think our starting 11 will look a bit different to be honest. We have two CM's already on the books who will come in with reportedly another coming in.

We have a few players out with injuries in addition to that such as Gibson and Byram.

I thought we used the ball well first half but without carving out too many opportunities. I think what worried me the most was when we did win the ball back in our own half and had the opportunity to break with faster passes, we didn't do it. 

Fair points mate we all can take different things from it. I think one thing most will agree that either way it wasn’t great to watch 

29 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Sorry did I use a few too many long words for you? 

Here's a chuckle brothers gif. It's obviously more your level.

oh-dear.gif.3bead0618971cb1c4de3a2d69d57f46f.gif

Oh dear....

20 minutes ago, ricardo said:

As a pointer to how the season will go, pre season results are utterly meaningless.

Results yes, performances no

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Didn't watch all of it adnmittedly, but what I saw looked very similar to last season, no bite in attack, defensive errors and giving the ball away too easily - and no control in midfield. Didn't think TC was that effective either. Need to be a bit more at it next week.

Honestly cantwell was one of the best performers

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I doubt many on here believe otherwise. I would say the majority of the concern is that the very obvious problems of last season were all too evident today. We kick off next week and there was little sign of any progression in our play. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

We need an Emi

I fully agree with your player assessments but would point out that we will have two new players soon who will make a difference.

Also when Adam Idah is fully fit, and playing in a front two with Teemu, we will see his true benefit, as we saw just before his injury last season.

I am concerned about our wide players as I do not believe Sargent (just not good enough) and Rashica (continues to flatter to deceive) are the answer. Perhaps Cantwell and Sinani or even Rowe and/or Springett but not the two who played today.,

13 minutes ago, AJ said:

Performances yes too - seen us blitz pre season and struggle to stay up in the championship. Saw us so comfortable in league one pre season under Gunn then lose 7-1 to Colchester. None of the pre season performances OR results pointed to that 

• Like 1

On the train back to edinburgh with a load of rangers fans (strangely no Celtic) a very glum train.

What was most concerning today was that whilst we have injury concerns in both midfield/defence , all of our attacking players wete available and played....yet we didnt look like we'd have scored if we were playing until christmas. 

Worrying

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

55 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

No I really didn't in all honesty. Thought he looked slow and error prone & not really good enough for a first team option. Simi for me starts everytime

9 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

On the train back to edinburgh with a load of rangers fans (strangely no Celtic) a very glum train.

What was most concerning today was that whilst we have injury concerns in both midfield/defence , all of our attacking players wete available and played....yet we didnt look like we'd have scored if we were playing until christmas. 

Worrying

Actually, we did create some decent openings but they were almost all charged down/blocked….something that we have been pretty carp at for the last few seasons.

10 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Worrying

I don't think Sinani is good enough despite a couple of clever passes. We lack cohesion at present and lack of flow. Hopefully get these new signings up to speed which will help the link up play which is clearly missing. 

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

I do generally agree with the folks who say reading too much into preseason is always silly. However there is a caveat and that is you can still spot some themes or patterns emerging at times.

Last season for example I was increasingly concerned by how easily the better teams we played ripped through us in pre season and that bore out into the season.

This preseason, the theme (from the little I've watched, combined with the reporting from pinkun reporters and MB at the games, is a team who are struggling to create much from open play. It feels a lot of our goals have come from exploiting opposition mistakes. Whether this is down to other teams pre season rust or us forcing errors due to better pressing I do not know.

It could all click for us in the season, especially if Cantwell continues his rehabilitation and Rashica can get on his team mates wavelength. But if three or four games into the season the attack still appears blunt then worries from these games won't be entirely unfounded. 

I mean, that wasn't at all the case Vs Marseille, or Cambridge really.

I think the main theme this preseason is that the main objective has been to trim the squad and assess some of those players formally on the periphery to decide what to do with them. It's the best time to do it.

For example, McCallum, Sinani, Hernandez, Hugill, Tomkinson and I would add Cantwell and Sorensen to that too. Sinani had come off a very good season at Huddersfield.

I think we're seeing a squad in transition. It's Smith's first pre-season. Some folk on here were saying last season was hoofball, whatever anyone says, it is not been hoofball this preseason. Very much on the deck, bar some of the final balls which have been crosses.

I think there is good reason to support why some things are hard to see out of today's game if you ignore the previous pre-season fixtures because we always knew these two games would be far from ordinary for us. Two games in two days suggests completely different 11's. Smith said that the priority was fitness and game time with such a big squad, he's not wrong.

I think suggesting that all of the pre-season games have been directionless, confusing and their only constant theme has been a general lack of creating chances from open play is not reflective of what those games have given us.

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Both - YES, resoundingly so.

Take today for example. You think we'll regularly look to start with Sinani AND Cantwell in a midfield three with McLean? So do you think the performance of those three as a triplet is make or break to our season?

The entire point of pre-season is to use it to experiment, practice scenarios, direct your team to play a certain way and to see how they respond. Performances can therefore be very up and down.

Lets not forget that our first few friendlies were played as 3x30min thirds. Our oppositions have been of different levels, different national leagues.

Need to get all of the mistakes and wrinkles ironed out now. If you think pre-season is all about good performances that form a great indicator of our season, I have a bunch of Primark bed sheets I have premade for you. 

1 hour ago, Yellow Wal said:

Also when Adam Idah is fully fit, and playing in a front two with Teemu, we will see his true benefit, as we saw just before his injury last season.

I’ve no idea why people still think Idah will come good. He had a couple of decent games last season but exactly the same could be said about Sargent.

He looked rubbish in his appearances in the championship before that and always totally lost when playing for Ireland.

I honestly can’t see what he adds, he can’t use his strength,  limited pace, no eye for goal, poor positioning,

and poor control…honestly baffles me why he is seen as such a prospect.