KiwiScot

****Official Lappinitup Match Thread - Celtic v Norwich****

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

Top 6 championship on this showing.

Hilarious that same folks on here are slating the team again, were the same ones saying not to take pre-season too seriously when we beat Marseille and Cambridge.

It's the same again right now. How you can read too much into this game I'm not sure. We're not making huge numbers of subs, the goal that would stand in a competitive game came after a bunch of fresh legs were thrown onto the pitch. 

We're playing with a midfield three, or have been, consisting of a CM and two AMs. Considering before pre season two of them hadn't played that role for us I think they've done well with what they've been asked to play. Sinani reminds me a tad of Surman, who was also not blessed with pace but had a very nice touch and some good passing.

In the first half especially, I think Celtic didn't look too special, Norwich shaved the first half. Take out the offside goal, which was ridiculous, on the 2nd half showing Celtic deserve the lead. However, like I say, a lot of changes combined with losing Hanley seemed to have that impact.

Can’t take much from results of pre season but what you can take from them is desired style of play, shape, press formation with and without ball. Now everyone will view things differently but I still can’t work out how smith wants to play, we don’t press, we don’t counter, we don’t retain possession. It’s all a bit of nothing in terms of footballing identity. Most worrying for me is how we’ve not really created much.

• Like 5

First game against decent opposition and all the frailties are abundantly clear.

Everyone who thinks this squad is going to walk into the top six really needs a word with themselves.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Possibly.

But here we are week before the season starts and we really look disjointed, lack of cohesion and no real confidence flowing through the team.

I think that's a fair assessment, tbh. The fragility underlying the lack of any discernible structure or pattern of play, and really poor individual errors has to be a real concern for the season.

Edited by Cowboy
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

OH NO - looks like we be lucky to be in the top 6 - taking account of the comments on here

Obvious troll is obvious.

Wow this performance is bang on the same as last season, looking second best, unorganised, avoid of any ideas! Poor game by us. Yes a friendly but with a week to go Cardiff away will be as difficult as this game! Still not convinced by Smith at all!

• Like 2

Just now, Kanadyan Kanary said:

Think Sorensen has done OK at CB this half. Some good interceptions and strong in the tackle. Hasn't really been tested aerially.

Absolutely took himself out for the goal though, failed to also take the ball with him unfortunately.

Still don't think we look much different to what we did under Farke. What exactly has Smith stamped on the squad as on what I've seen in pre season so far it's not a lot? A lot of pressure on Hayden and Sara to work wonders on this team.

Generally solid, but nothing spectacular is how I'd describe today. Take away McCallum's mistake and we lost 1-0 to a decent side. Would still like us to look more dangerous with quicker attacks, Pukki made countless good runs in decent areas as per usual which were not picked out

We had the summer to sort things and on this showing it hasn’t been done. All the ghosts of last season on display- still no creativity or bite in midfield. Cardiff won’t be quaking in their boots 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Obvious troll is obvious.

In that case the forum must be full of trolls, is that what you  suggesting

2 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Can’t take much from results of pre season but what you can take from them is desired style of play, shape, press formation with and without ball. Now everyone will view things differently but I still can’t work out how smith wants to play, we don’t press, we don’t counter, we don’t retain possession. It’s all a bit of nothing in terms of footballing identity. Most worrying for me is how we’ve not really created much.

I disagree, first half we did look to press higher up, the issue with that is by winning the ball back in their final third, which we did on a few occasions, you have no space left for the movement of Pukki which means he isn't really getting the service he needs. Much better suited to a different type of striker. 

I think our starting 11 will look a bit different to be honest. We have two CM's already on the books who will come in with reportedly another coming in.

We have a few players out with injuries in addition to that such as Gibson and Byram.

I thought we used the ball well first half but without carving out too many opportunities. I think what worried me the most was when we did win the ball back in our own half and had the opportunity to break with faster passes, we didn't do it. 

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

We had the summer to sort things and on this showing it hasn’t been done. All the ghosts of last season on display- still no creativity or bite in midfield. Cardiff won’t be quaking in their boots 

Pretty much what I wanted to say in my post above. Still no obvious threat, still no midfield to control a game. One positive I am taking though is that Todd is definitely back on track which is as good as a top championship signing 

Just now, baldy09 said:

No, I’m saying you’re trolling 

Very unconvincing performance that doesn’t fill me with confidence for next week. I’m sure he’s a decent lad and does put a shift in but Josh Sargent shouldn’t be anywhere near the starting 11 in the championship, I personally would have cut out losses on him, MLS is his standard of football.

Just now, baldy09 said:

You are a troll. As are several on this thread. Very few of you commenting anywhere near as regularly in the preseason games where we won were you? 

Only turn up to pile on other posters and a pre-season defeat. Pathetic. 

• Like 1

I think i will judge us in a competive game and with out new signings and the first 11 that will play. 

So no pant wetting yet, if we do carry on like this after a few games then it will be time to get concerned 

Just now, Virtual reality said:

Very unconvincing performance that doesn’t fill me with confidence for next week. I’m sure he’s a decent lad and does put a shift in but Josh Sargent shouldn’t be anywhere near the starting 11 in the championship, I personally would have cut out losses on him, MLS is his standard of football.

We don't know that this IS the starting 11... 

Smith performing to expected standards unlikely to see Xmas

• Haha 1

Not the best but IT IS A PRESEASON FRIENDLY, and against a side playing Champions League this season. (And it’s clear the officials need to step up too, their first was a mile off.)

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Odd that you are among the first with the negative crap….

9 minutes ago, Unhinged Canary said:

First game against decent opposition and all the frailties are abundantly clear.

Everyone who thinks this squad is going to walk into the top six really needs a word with themselves.

Marseille?

Folk need to calm down, friendlies mean little. 

• Confused 1

Didn't watch all of it adnmittedly, but what I saw looked very similar to last season, no bite in attack, defensive errors and giving the ball away too easily - and no control in midfield. Didn't think TC was that effective either. Need to be a bit more at it next week.

Edited by lake district canary

Just now, Indy said:

Wow this performance is bang on the same as last season, looking second best, unorganised, avoid of any ideas! Poor game by us. Yes a friendly but with a week to go Cardiff away will be as difficult as this game! Still not convinced by Smith at all!

This is pretty much spot on. 

First half which was fairly even. Thought we really lacked a physical presence in midfield to help control the tempo Celtic wanted to play at.

Second half was poor. Nothing from us that looked remotely like scoring. Sloppy passing, little synergy in the forward players and I'm still looking around the squad wondering just who is going to be providing Pukki the sort of passes he thrives off of.

We are playing players in positions that don't suit them (Sargent), need to see more from players who have real doubts over them (Rashica) and need to show quickly that we are a side who knows how they intend to play and beat other teams. 

Some positives too. Cantwell continues to impress. Sinani and McCallum I think both did more good than bad and have shown they're good enough to be in this squad. 

I just want to see a side that looks like they know what they're wanting to do. 

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

We don't know that this IS the starting 11... 

Didn’t say we did, did I? I just said that Sargent shouldn’t be anywhere near it come next week

Well, there was no need to get high after tonking Marseille, and there's no need to get too despondent about a defeat to the reigning Scottish champions when we had a midfield best described as experimental due to the lack of a ball-winner as a result of injuries.

Sinani's not given up the goat in terms of getting a first-team shirt.

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

No, I’m saying you’re trolling 

You talk alot of old crap are you on here because you such a lonely person and has well has the so called  person called Chicken whos name is really appt on here-  now you all put  that in your pipe and smoke it- never I love the challenge to take on  Me I was only making my comment based on  comment made on here

It wasn’t dreadful, was just thoroughly uninspiring and got the result it deserved.

First goal was offside and then McCallum gifted the ball in a dangerous area and calamitous defending occurred for the second.

CM looks light as hell still watching Cantwell and Sinani play there. I know Sara and Hayden are injured but still feels like we are missing at least one if not two good CMs.

Hanley going off and being replaced by Sorensen also makes me wonder if the CB depth is enough, fine lines with injuries to the senior two.