KiwiScot

****Official Lappinitup Match Thread - Celtic v Norwich****

I'd expect Celtic to be a bit sharper than us as they should be nearer the end of their pre-season training, so they should be fitter. Not to mention Postecoglou's teams are usually committed to hard pressing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Well there isn’t anything to applaud. Our midfield is looking way off the pace 

I'm not seeing anything to applaud from either side really. One or two moments perhaps.

Also worth noting is that whilst Celtic will be afforded the ability to play their strongest side and then throw on a rash of subs in the 2nd half. We are reserving a good chunk of our players for tomorrow. No doubt that was part of the thinking when arranged. 

The first 10-20mins of any game is usually a bit about probing, testing and getting the legs going. I'd say we've had the majority of possession so far too. 

Edited by chicken

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

I'm not seeing anything to applaud from either side really. One or two moments perhaps.

Also worth noting is that whilst Celtic will be afforded the ability to play their strongest side and then throw on a rash of subs in the 2nd half. We are reserving a good chunk of our players for tomorrow. No doubt that was part of the thinking when arranged. 

The first 10-20mins of any game is usually a bit about probing, testing and getting the legs going. I'd say we've had the majority of possession so far too. 

Who are we holding back then? 

4 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

The subs bench. By having two pre-season games in two consecutive days it's fairly clear that the aim is to put a full 90 in a fair few pairs of legs at a relatively late stage of pre-season.

EDIT: Suspect you'll only see subs for minor tweaks or knocks to be honest with tomorrow's game on the horizon. Then it'll probably be more tactical and recovery work to get the heavy stuff out of their legs for Cardiff.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Sorensen would have made more sense in the middle don't you think, even Gibbs (though he's on the bench) after his performance against Cambridge.

Giannoulis isn't starting either and you'd say he was first choice LB at this moment.

Our CM is definitely not the complete article yet - but what's more, they are currently holding their own in possession and arguably we have created the better chances.

But you know...

OH MY GOD IT's BEEN 37secs AND WE'RE CRAP!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd expect Celtic to be a bit sharper than us as they should be nearer the end of their pre-season training, so they should be fitter. Not to mention Postecoglou's teams are usually committed to hard pressing.

I thought they start next week as well so we should be on par, in terms of fitness.

For anyone else not able to watch the official stream (or otherwise, you naughty people) it looks very much like a 4-3-3 with Cantwell and Sinani either side of McLean at this point.

Sargent on the right and Rashica on the left, with their positions a tad behind Pukki. This means they are getting back to help in midfield as well as trying to connect up with Pukki.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kanadyan Kanary said:

I thought they start next week as well so we should be on par, in terms of fitness.

Fair comment, I was going off this being their last pre-season friendly and we still had one more.

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Fair comment, I was going off this being their last pre-season friendly and we still had one more.

This is the case. They start next Sunday. 

That said, I would expect them to be better than us for this game as we have a friendly tomorrow and will obviously be more limited from the bench, not to mention we have a few carrying knocks and are unavailable. 

Missed the first 10 mins but it has been a really entertaining end to end game so far, like how many bodies we have been getting into the box and we are progressing with the ball well through midfield.

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Getting much better as game goes on. That said McCallum nearly gifted them a goal with sloppy passing 

I mean  bar the first ten minutes where absolutely nothing of real note happened for either side, for me, we have been better, held onto the ball more and created more chances. 

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

We're not creating much for Pukki in the way we play.

I think at times, the issue is both Rashica and Sargent want to push on whereas Pukki likes to run into the spaces in the channels, which are cut off when Sargent and Rashica advance.

A couple of times Sargent has tried to be the target man and flick it on for him but not really coming off. 

Oh dear... that refs assistant must have been on holiday... he certainly wasn't watching that line was he?

Edited by chicken