Sign in to follow this  
Block Y Seat 176

Aarons off?

There are many different types of £15m.

For example there is £15m in your bank tomorrow. 

Or there is £1m in your bank in 6 months and £14m on contingencies that are highly unlikely. 

Or often there is £7m in staged payments spread evenly over a 4 year contract, with £4m in reasonably likely outcomes and £4m in very unlikely outcomes. 

This board, the Sun and others call them all £15m.

The buying club calls it ‘a steal at £1m with add ins’ (unless they want to look ambitious and then they call it £15m too).

The selling club calls it £15m or £7m depending on whether they want to look cashed-up, great negotiators, but then of course they get fleeced when buying a replacement (or any other player in the same window). 

Football eh?

Parma 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete said:

£15m is good price for Max, given how his ability has decreased season on season since his debut.  Overpricing him may mean he stays and is unhappy.  Sending Mumba on loan looks rather silly, Sorensen might get a solid starting position.

I don't think his ability or potential has decreased but last season his form certainly did. Don't forget he was playing in an utterly dreadful team so it's not surprising. In a better team I'm sure he will be back to his best.

Having said that, Everton would not be a good move for him in my opinion.

• Like 1

Aarons is a great player but he is a bit frail defensively and not necessarily what we need.

I think 15 million rising to 20 would be excellent business and allow us to pick up a solid if less than extraordinary full back. We need more solidity at the back rather than extra going forward for me.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Yellow Shirt said:

Aarons is a great player but he is a bit frail defensively and not necessarily what we need.

I think 15 million rising to 20 would be excellent business and allow us to pick up a solid if less than extraordinary full back. We need more solidity at the back rather than extra going forward for me.

This, in Farkes earlier system that deployed very high wingbacks he was an important cog and a very consistent one at that! Since then he's needed to play more defensive and became more exposed, especially without Emi Infront of him. There's stats that have him as one of the worst performing aerial defenders in the premier League and unfortunately that will hold him back. £15m is not bad money for a player who has been through two relegations however, it would need to have add-ons taking it nearer £20 in my eyes. If we could get a chunk of that upfront to bring in someone to challenge Pukki and replace him long term then it suddenly looks a lot more appealing. 

That all said, we've just let Bali go on loan so it's unlikely anything will happen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Or there is £1m in your bank in 6 months and £14m on contingencies that are highly unlikely. 

Or often there is £7m in staged payments spread evenly over a 4 year contract, with £4m in reasonably likely outcomes and £4m in very unlikely outcomes. 

The buying club calls it ‘a steal at £1m with add ins’ (unless they want to look ambitious and then they call it £15m too).

The selling club calls it £15m or £7m depending on whether they want to look cashed-up, great negotiators, but then of course they get fleeced when buying a replacement (or any other player in the same window). 

Football eh?

Parma 

Would rather Max than any of them tbh but can see he’d be keen to move on. He’s stagnating Sat here and there’s a lot of good right backs about as it is.

1 hour ago, Yellow Shirt said:

1 hour ago, Yellow Shirt said:

Funny that he’s exactly what we needed our last two championship seasons 

6 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Funny that he’s exactly what we needed our last two championship seasons 

I don’t suggest for a second he’s not good enough for us- just that if he were to go I would advocate someone more defensive and that could well actually end up being an improvement to the team as a unit. I would say the same for Giannoulis if it was him in question.

One of the main reasons I’ve been an advocate of trying three at the back has been that our fullbacks are so attack minded.

4 hours ago, Nora's Ghost said:

I hoped he had learned from Lewis's disaster at Newcastle.

Better off staying here and becoming a genuine club legend.

True dat, go to a better club than Everton!

1 hour ago, Block Y Seat 176 said:

Max’s replacement?

Can’t complain in reality we’d probably gain a net profit and pretty much cover a decent right back but not one who I can honestly say has stepped up another level, great model pro but a bit like Lewis maybe found his highest level. Be great for Aarons to get a big move and try to get his game into another level. Great pro.

5 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

With Byram injured again, this would be suicidal 

Pinkun chaps have already stated that they believe the club has already got a target they'd be happy to bring in as his replacement.

3 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Football eh?

Parma 

Don't go talking sense like that, it'll give some folk on here a nose bleed.

I was actually going to say something similar. A related observation is that recent Pinkun articles appear to have added ££££'s to players values.

One had us having bought Lees-Melou for £5m when all of last summer and season they assured us it was a bargain at £3.75m. Then there is the article about Wildschut which claimed we had paid £7m for him. The same Pinkun that reported that Alex Neil laughed when it was suggested we had paid £5m for him and said "no, it wasn't near that much".

However, you are bang on. Several sources reported Tzolis as costing £10m, which turned out to be lazy journalism and simply changing the Euro symbol into a £ sign. That seems to happen a lot too.

Not to mention Armstrong cost Southampton £15m rising to £20m. So quite possible that £15m is just the "fee" we want but not the entire package. We'll often never know the precise arrangements and values. Even with Sargent, then Tzolis, then Sara we are simply told they are the new record signing. Which has us guessing because we never knew exactly what the amount was for the last record signing other than "believed to be in the region of".

At the end of the day, prices for footballers never makes any sense, trying to compare them to the prices paid for other players just never adds up. You could argue that players at the beginning of a transfer window are likely to cost more as potentially there are more suitors so the price is driven up. So if there are three or four teams looking for a full back, and two to three go and get the most desirable targets. There could be three to four full backs left and the teams left looking could be in a much better position to drive that price down.

Wan-Bissaka cost Man Utd a reported £50m. I'm not convinced he isn't tens of millions of pounds better than Aarons. It doesn't mean Aarons is worth £40m though. A lot has happened in the three years since Man Utd signed him. And, it's quite probably they paid well over the odds for him.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Football eh?

Parma 

The Norwich City Archive is an interesting read in this respect - it was like this from day one. Almost the first big transfer Norwich were involved had a degree of ambiguity in the public statement to what the accounting ledgers actually recorded. If only there was some form of 30 year public disclosure rule for transfers!

16 hours ago, Block Y Seat 176 said:

Max’s replacement?

How many GBE points has he got? He is only the ideal replacement if he has 15, has he played for any Brazilian representative side?

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

How many GBE points has he got? He is only the ideal replacement if he has 15, has he played for any Brazilian representative side?

Not really, he's played for one club coming through their youth system. Find it highly unlikely he would meet the requirements but also unsure how he'd be anywhere near the standard of Aarons 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I think he'd get about 11. He would get 2 because he played most of Coritiba's Serie B games, which is Band 6, and 1 because Coritiba got promoted. He would also get 8 because Coritiba are currently in a Band 3 league.

He's also only 1 cm taller than Max 🤣

mens-players-criteria-202223 (1).pdf

Edited by Mr Angry
Added the FA's Rules and criteria for calculating points
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I think he'd get about 11. He would get 2 because he played most of Coritiba's Serie B games, which is Band 6, and 1 because Coritiba got promoted. He would also get 8 because Coritiba are currently in a Band 3 league.

mens-players-criteria-202223 (1).pdf 285.91 kB · 0 downloads

No chance then. Spreadsheet says no.

17 hours ago, Payno10 said:

True dat, go to a better club than Everton!

No-one could blame Max or deny him the opportunity of moving up the ladder.

Just make it a careful choice unlike so many others before him.

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

No chance then. Spreadsheet says no.

I think we could loan him.

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

mens-players-criteria-202223 (1).pdf 285.91 kB · 0 downloads

I haven't done any calculations myself, but if he's in the 10-14 range, you can appeal and argue the case, I believe.