Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Remember when we took on Paulton Rovers?

Arguably one of the lowest ranked teams we have taken on, if you ignore the "Itallian regional 11" team we took on in that strange friendly once. Anyways, blast from the past as the full match is now up to watch for free and we did score some pretty nice goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34KnmBzme1U

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Arguably one of the lowest ranked teams we have taken on, if you ignore the "Itallian regional 11" team we took on in that strange friendly once. Anyways, blast from the past as the full match is now up to watch for free and we did score some pretty nice goals

Was there that day. Natch Cider in the local pub. Left hand corner 1st half you might see my Cornsih Flag.

Edited by keelansgrandad
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Haha I'd forgotten about that 'Italian Regional XI'... didn't we win 13-0 or something daft?!

Thanks for the video... I was in Thailand when this match happened (November 2009), so I never got to watch it. Might give it a whirl over the weekend!

52 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Haha I'd forgotten about that 'Italian Regional XI'... didn't we win 13-0 or something daft?!

Thanks for the video... I was in Thailand when this match happened (November 2009), so I never got to watch it. Might give it a whirl over the weekend!

Ā 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

13-0 is correct.

No idea how...

Ā 

webimage-47BD1441-6D2C-43EB-8775189244ADE864.png

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Cheers for this link, I fondly remember that game (watched online, not at game). Chris Martin scored 4 goals and the co-commentator didn't choose him as MOTM, and Grant Holt lifted his shirt in response to chants about him being fat, and his attempt to suck in his belly didn't look too convincing ha

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Cheers for this link, I fondly remember that game (watched online, not at game). Chris Martin scored 4 goals and the co-commentator didn't choose him as MOTM, and Grant Holt lifted his shirt in response to chants about him being fat, and his attempt to suck in his belly didn't look too convincing ha

Wasnā€™t it on terrestrial tv that day?Ā 

2 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Wasnā€™t it on terrestrial tv that day?Ā 

Was fa cup, so most likely the beeb.Ā 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Ah yeah I think you may be correct!Ā 

I remember it was a very early kick off too on a SaturdayĀ 

15 minutes in and absolutely fuming at Hoolahan constantly moving into space and Darel Russell ignoring him for speculative passes which mainly go to the opposition, felt it was harsh when we ditched him after promotion.... changing my mind.Ā 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Haha 2

I was there with my lad.Ā  It was a great day out.Ā  Seem to remember stopping at the closest Little Chef as they were selling memorabilia from the day.Ā  Can't for the life of me remember what we might have bought though.Ā  Also remember a chap in the stand behind me winning a rather large bet on the scoreline.

Great day out. Fair play to Paulton for maximising the opportunity. Terrace tickets were Ā£20 and they squeezed as many in as they could ( theyĀ recently said the profits from that game kept them going for ten years !! )Ā 

I think our end behind the goal was enlarged and the painters were out with whitewash on the back fence. ItĀ was definitelyĀ whitewash asĀ most of itĀ rubbed off on you as brushed past. AĀ temporary burger van was squeezed in right beside the portaloos which added a certain something to the al fresco dining experience.

Andy Townsend was the summariser for ITV and clearly desperate for an upset . TheĀ TV company decided it would be fun toĀ interactively interview the Paulton manager during the game as to how he was going to thingsĀ round.Ā Not much fun on the end of a 7-0 hammeringā€¦

There was vague talk of Paulton becoming aĀ feeder club forĀ us but they were so comprehensively outclassed Ā nothing came of it. In fact the playersĀ were so stunned at the final whistleĀ Ā they couldnā€™t wait to get off the pitch and forgot to do a lap of appreciation. A shame for their fans on such a big day.

Ā 

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

I remember when we finished 3rd, 4th and 5th in the top league though, Two Semi Finals in the FA Cup and a European adventure, now they were happy days.Ā 

49 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I remember when we finished 3rd, 4th and 5th in the top league though, Two Semi Finals in the FA Cup and a European adventure, now they were happy days.Ā 

Should have been more, damn those scousers!Ā 

• Sad 1

I can remember those very good days. Europe & Flying High. Very Lucky. Travelling up from Somerset regularly. Staying in Chalk Hill Road near the Train Station. This Paulton Game was a Home Game. I live 9 miles away. Still chat to the Paulton Winger who claimed Cody McDonalds shirt.Ā 

12 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Imagine if you'd told us back then that we'd regularly be moaning about 10m+ signings 12 years time.

True!

Very enjoyable game and an underrated bonus of getting relegated to League One. A nice reminder that being in the top league is not the be-all and end-all. I only watched it on TV but I bet those who were there remember it far better than many of our recent Premier League gamesĀ