Sign in to follow this  
keelansgrandad

Dwight Gayle

Sorry if this is in the Transfer thread.

£10M to Stoke. That is from left field. WBA were hoping to get him, as were a few other clubs if the price was right. Wonder what his wages are?

Is this the price to pay for a 32 year old? I suppose it doesn't matter if he scores regularly, which he did in the Championship.

I think it was free wasnt it? He was listed but no one bid essentially. And now gone to Stoke for free or nominal amount.

Edited by jaberry2

Pleased we weren't in for him. We need someone to help get us there but who can also produce goods at PL level. Gayle can't 

Im sure Gayles competent enough at this level and will no doubt be amongst them next this season. At 32 he couldnt offer us much more than one season. Stoke have bought well again and should be competing in the top half.

I've always liked Gayle, a similar mould to Simeon Jackson and would have been good when we were touted in a move for him when he went to Newcastle but too old now

55 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Oh dear, I'm embarrassed. I read the article completely wrong. The £10M was when he joined Newcastle.

Sorry One and All

Its just like one of my threads!

• Haha 3

Bit of an Earnshaw type player for me, will get you goals at Champ level but won't add much else to the team. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Its just like one of my threads!

At least KGD brings other things to the forum. 

And as hes stated in this thread (another one of yours unsurprising) he attends matches. Did you go to Paulton, or the Abbey on Tuesday night? (you failed to answer that in the other thread, despite liking the post it was asked in!).

Just curious CC, not judging or bashing, or bullying.  

52 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Stoke outside bet for the playoffs?

I dont think necessarily an outside bet. I think most would fancy them in and around the playsoffs this season. Theyve been improving year on year.

My Brother-in-law is a Stoke season ticket holder.  In my last conversation with him three weeks ago he was not even holding out any hope of them staying up under O'Neil this season. The club has lost direction and a sense of playing style. He says after all the millions that had been pumped in to the club, the owner has told them to "live within your means" (where have we heard that before). This is why Vrancic was allowed to leave (a high salary) and Gayle on a freebie is another acquisition where fee & salary budgets are being balanced delicately.

On that basis, Stoke will not be much to worry about,  if we complete our squad with another couple of signings. 

Edited by shefcanary

3 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

I dont think necessarily an outside bet. I think most would fancy them in and around the playsoffs this season. Theyve been improving year on year.

But they’ve got a billionaire owner. Surely they should be nailed on for promotion?

5 hours ago, Greavsy said:

At least KGD brings other things to the forum. 

And as hes stated in this thread (another one of yours unsurprising) he attends matches. Did you go to Paulton, or the Abbey on Tuesday night? (you failed to answer that in the other thread, despite liking the post it was asked in!).

Just curious CC, not judging or bashing, or bullying.  

Woah woah woah. Cambridgeshire brings LOADS more to this forum than just his threads. He brings his adorable sense of humour, cutting edge opinion and almost unique on this forum ability to laugh at himself.

Don't diss the Cambridgeshire. 

Leave my boy alone!!!!!! He's special - sparta | Meme Generator

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Segura said:

Bit of an Earnshaw type player for me, will get you goals at Champ level but won't add much else to the team. 

Yup. What an absolute waste... who needs goals eh? 😅😉

Just kidding. I think you are right though. I think when he was younger he'd of gotten you goals at Premier League level too. Used to be nippy as well but I think injuries have put paid to that. Worth a gamble on a free if you are Stoke though. Earnshaw is the right comparison. Jackson, whilst of a similar ilk, actually was one of those footballers who's decision making couldn't keep up with his pace.

I remember this glaring out to me in a pre season friendly against Palma I think. His pace and movement took him through on goal one on one with their keeper, he just had to pick a spot and take it, he looked like he was caught in the headlights and the keeper had time to close him and he lost focus and put it weakly at the keeper. Earnshaw would have found the net.

I loved Jackson, but a premier league player he was not, though his pace most certainly was. 

• Like 1