Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Surely we need more midfielders?

7 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I dont recall such a comment being made, but im sure he sees himself playing at a higher level. He is one who needs to stay injury free. We only saw glimpses of what he can do. I think if we did sign him injured or he got an injury early on in the season I hate to think what this forum would be like. Theres all kinds of panicking going on atm.

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-mathias-normann-future-interview-tv2-8785892

"Mathias Normann has admitted that his recent performances in the Premier League for Norwich City have made him miserable and he has confirmed he has no interest in playing Championship football next season."

1 minute ago, AJ said:

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-mathias-normann-future-interview-tv2-8785892

"Mathias Normann has admitted that his recent performances in the Premier League for Norwich City have made him miserable and he has confirmed he has no interest in playing Championship football next season."

Answered your own question there 🙂 But players can change there minds. I suspect he is just being touted by fans rather than being considered by management. I would expect to know our target for Midfield by mid week.

On 21/07/2022 at 21:36, Feedthewolf said:

It all depends on the formation. If we're planning on playing with a DM, two CMs and two wide attacking midfielders, I think Dowell or Cantwell could occupy the third spot... a bit like Mourinho's Chelsea formation in 2005 (see below). Hayden plays Makelele's role, Sara plays Lampard's box-to-box role, and Cantwell/Dowell takes Tiago's role of a deeper-lying playmaker (a bit like Mount has done for them recently).

1_PdC9FYOqXAQyq9TVXZkCjQ.png.958149d850d4c082bf05925de6daccc0.png

However, if we're playing 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2, no way Dowell or Cantwell could play one of the two CM roles.

The only issue there being that Sara is apparently not a box to bid midfielder at all. More of an attacker

2 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Woefully thin on midfield options and still no fit defensive midfielder plus I have zero confidence in Hugill, Sargent or Idah giving adequate support to Pukki on the goal scoring front.

Got to hope that the Brazilian lad hits the ground running and Hayden isn't a long term injury. 

I'm not concerned about the forward line tbh. I would be surprised if many clubs have a lot more going into this season than that in this division. It's make or break for Idah and Sargent but I'm of the opinion one of them will probably do ok.

Im concerned we are short by two players, one central midfielder and one defender comfortable at CB. Though the second is probably not as crucial given Byram is in the squad.

I'm certain we will bring in another midfielder and tbh I'd expect at least a rumour to appear in the next couple of days. I suspect PLM leaving ia just part of a chain. Im less convinced about an extra man in the back 4, think after the midfielder we will be done.

7 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

The only issue there being that Sara is apparently not a box to bid midfielder at all. More of an attacker

I've read varying reports, some describing him as more of an 8 and others as a 10. The fact he has been brought in as a 'midfielder' implies that he will be used more as an 8, as Smith tends not to play with an orthodox 10 anyway. Can't see them shunting him out wide, so I reckon it's most likely he'll be used as the most forward-thinking of a three-man central midfield unit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I've read varying reports, some describing him as more of an 8 and others as a 10. The fact he has been brought in as a 'midfielder' implies that he will be used more as an 8, as Smith tends not to play with an orthodox 10 anyway. Can't see them shunting him out wide, so I reckon it's most likely he'll be used as the most forward-thinking of a three-man central midfield unit.

From looking at the positional stats on Transfermarkt I'd look at him as more of an Emi Buendia replacement, albeit a season too late so perhaps we'll have Rashica one side, Sara the other with Cantwell in the middle

Edited by AJ

1 hour ago, AJ said:

From looking at the positional stats on Transfermarkt I'd look at him as more of an Emi Buendia replacement, albeit a season too late so perhaps we'll have Rashica one side, Sara the other with Cantwell in the middle

Will be interesting to see how/where he fits in for sure, although I'd be surprised if that was how we lined up. Cantwell pretty much always played from the left under Farke, but could definitely play centrally. I'm still not convinced Smith will use a conventional number 10, though. Let's just hope he's fit and firing soon so we can find out, eh? 🙂

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Will be interesting to see how/where he fits in for sure, although I'd be surprised if that was how we lined up. Cantwell pretty much always played from the left under Farke, but could definitely play centrally. I'm still not convinced Smith will use a conventional number 10, though. Let's just hope he's fit and firing soon so we can find out, eh? 🙂

4-4-f'in-2

Sara Hayden McLean Cantwell

Pukki Rashica*

*on a free roaming role, or swap for Hugill and lump it into the box

Jobs a good'un!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, AJ said:

4-4-f'in-2

Sara Hayden McLean Cantwell

Pukki Rashica*

*on a free roaming role, or swap for Hugill and lump it into the box

Jobs a good'un!

Pooky and Hoogle buh, big man little man! Get it in the mixer!

• Haha 1