Ulfotto

Surprised by lack of Pukki transfer talk

Not wanting to tempt fate but Anyone slightly surprised that his agent pretty mild putting the feelers out has come to nothing?

Pukki is a player who scored 10 plus goals in two premier league  seasons running in the team who finished 20th. I feel Norwich may probably accept 5 million given he is in the last year of his contract. He is a low maintenance kind of guy. Given the eye watering fee Brentford just paid for the guy from hull or all of Forest business so far feels like he would be a bit of a bargain. Feel he would be a good squad player for West  Ham, Brighton, Leicester even Spurs.

Let’s hope it stays all quiet.

12 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Not wanting to tempt fate but Anyone slightly surprised that his agent pretty mild putting the feelers out has come to nothing?

Pukki is a player who scored 10 plus goals in two premier league  seasons running in the team who finished 20th. I feel Norwich may probably accept 5 million given he is in the last year of his contract. He is a low maintenance kind of guy. Given the eye watering fee Brentford just paid for the guy from hull or all of Forest business so far feels like he would be a bit of a bargain. Feel he would be a good squad player for West  Ham, Brighton, Leicester even Spurs.

You can never be sure, but it did seem we made it clear we had no intention of letting him go.

I’m not that sure many would be interested anyway, and not at the price we’d want.  Most sides have their ‘equivalent’ and wouldn’t want to change their system to suit him.

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’m not that sure many would be interested anyway, and not at the price we’d want.  Most sides have their ‘equivalent’ and wouldn’t want to change their system to suit him.

I sort of know what you mean but remove Pukki name from it and you said

”For let’s say 7.5 million you can get a player who is his national team record goal scorer and averages a goal almost every 3 games in the premier league over two season whilst playing in comfortably the worst team in the league who is also zero maintenance off the pitch”

Surely the other 14 would take a look.

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well this is the thing.

The types of clubs that can afford to pay what we want for a 32 year old are the clubs where he'd be a squad player, and spend more time on the bench than on the pitch. I'm sure Eddie Howe and Newcastle would love him as a Callum Wilson backup, but that would be a bit of a depressing existence for Pukki wouldn't it. 

And I really can't see Pukki making a purely financial move, even for a big final payday, just can't see it, he'd want to make a move to somewhere where he'd be the main striker. Only, that would be at clubs who want resale value and 25 year olds. 

I think he'll get an impressive move on a bosman in a year if we fail to get promotion, one of the top 3/4 Turkish clubs or something.

• Like 1

Not particularly surprised. Both NCFC and the player made it as obvious as is possible that they would wish to stick to the contracts signed. He's no longer young and has, internationally apart, a fairly average pedigree. He suited Norwich at the time. Norwich suited him.

Now come the Winter window, and it may well be a different scenario whereby some relegation struggler (Brighton, Brentford {without Toney?} Bournemouth, Forest etc.) might have a "hit or bust" Naismith moment and decide to offer really stupid money for the instant fix that they perceive can be on offer.

By then we might well be in a position to envisage life without Teemu, then again he might well remain as vital to the cause as ever. 

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The types of clubs that can afford to pay what we want for a 32 year old are the clubs where he'd be a squad player, and spend more time on the bench than on the pitch. I'm sure Eddie Howe and Newcastle would love him as a Callum Wilson backup, but that would be a bit of a depressing existence for Pukki wouldn't it. 

Would it be so depressing? He has little to prove here or for Finland. If he could double his money on a two deal somewhere and be a super sub maybe play in Europe.

I would he stays but it is another example I feel of Norwich not being particularly fashionable.

Not surprised for the reasons listed above.

He's worth more to us than any team would usually pay for a 32 year old with no resale value. Also there isn't much incentive for Pukki to push for an exit when his contract is up in 12 months and he can likely secure a better contract moving as a free agent. 

There was Pukki transfer talk at the start of the window, his agent spoke out unless you missed all that? Smith has since said he expects Pukki to stay, so maybe the club convinced him to give it one more crack. I would hold nothing against him if he does go though, he owes us absolutely nothing given how incredible he has been for us.

31 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

If he could double his money on a two deal somewhere and be a super sub maybe play in Europe.

Pukki played in Europe in 8 different seasons for 4 different clubs, both Champions League and Europa League before joining us in the second tier. 

This wouldn't be a new experience for him.

He's already said that he turned down bigger money offers to join us, so why would money suddenly be his primary motivation? 

If playing in Europe is the motivation then that is understandable but he doesn't have to join Newcastle and hope that Howe can squeeze them in the Europa league, he could join a club in another country which qualifies for Europe every year... Brondby, Rangers, Braga, Galatasary, Red Star Belgrade, Dinamo Zagreb, etc.

As for doubling his money, that's a bit fanciful. Yes Newcastles owners have stupid amounts of money, but they still have FFP considerations and £100k a week / £5.2cm year on a bench warmer.... doubt it.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, Ulfotto said:

No, the maths of the situation doesn’t work and it seemed to me Pukki’s camp have (perhaps begrudgingly) accepted that.

Theres nothing to be gained by Norwich by selling him for any amount you’d expect a club would be willing to pay. Case closed for me.

Far more interested in what happens next as if he doesn’t sign a new deal this summer I don’t see him staying next year or beyond personally.

i think the lack of interest in our players 

is holding us back a little 

fine if they stay good players and i dont really want any to leave 

but if we could get say 20 million for Arrons that might buy us 2 or 3 with potential for the future 

Sell one player and strengthen the squad 

40 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

No, the maths of the situation doesn’t work and it seemed to me Pukki’s camp have (perhaps begrudgingly) accepted that.

Theres nothing to be gained by Norwich by selling him for any amount you’d expect a club would be willing to pay. Case closed for me.

Far more interested in what happens next as if he doesn’t sign a new deal this summer I don’t see him staying next year or beyond personally.

You never know. If we're top of the league when the January window opens, we might be able to persuade him to stay for another couple of years. If the Attanasio investment comes off and he's guaranteed regular EPL starts, who knows? Personally, I feel we should invest in him until he proves to us that he's not up to it, rather than try to pre-empt his downfall and move him on.

Or am I being a bit misty-eyed and sentimental here?

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

You never know. If we're top of the league when the January window opens, we might be able to persuade him to stay for another couple of years. If the Attanasio investment comes off and he's guaranteed regular EPL starts, who knows? Personally, I feel we should invest in him until he proves to us that he's not up to it, rather than try to pre-empt his downfall and move him on.

If we're promoted and he plays a big part I'd be surprised if we didn't offer the extension. He might not fancy ending his top flight career in a relegation battle though. Probably not in a top 5 league but I expect he could get a team in European competition which might be an appealing thought for him.

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

The things his agent was saying that made it to the Pinkun and were then never denied by club or player and I guarantee they were asked for comment, suggested that Pukki wanted to go if allowed and the club hadn’t even entered discussions about a new contract.

Personally I agree, he looks like he’ll make it to 34-35 at this level so I’d do everything to keep him. 

Think it depends on where we are, if nothing happens before Jan when he can listen to offers he’d want to know we were almost guaranteed promotion at that point or why would he sign? Assuming he still wants to stay and a new challenge for his twilight isn’t more interesting/lucrative.

I don’t know, I can’t shake the feeling the moments passed and unless there is an amazing turnaround from the behind the scenes noise and he signs a new contract this is his last season.

18 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Personally, I feel we should invest in him until he proves to us that he's not up to it, rather than try to pre-empt his downfall and move him on.

Nope, I fully agree.

Imagine of Leicester had assumed that Vardy would be done at 33 and binned him off.

They'd definitely have 1 less FA Cup in the trophy cabinet, and that's the only one in there.

Pukki is the talisman.

I mean, if be takes us up yet again this season then who even cares if he gets a 2 year deal and he's useless in the second year, its £2.5m in wages for that year at £50k a week.... same amount we blew on Placheta, and Franke. 

If his legs have gone in that second year just get him coaching the kids his movement and to grab a B License or something, only has to help one of the more talented kids to realise his potential and that will be repaid when he's flogged for Murphy/Lewis money.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Nope.

Imagine of Leicester had assumed that Vardy would be done at 33 and binned him off.

They'd definitely have 1 less FA Cup in the trophy cabinet, and that's the only one in there.

Oh maaaan, now all I can think of is Pukki scoring for us in an FA Cup Final. Nice dream...

• Like 1

I think Pukki has plenty more to offer Norwich City. In an ideal world, I'm hoping he helps us gain promotion & is rewarded with a decent contract extension. If he continues to look after himself, he can easily emulate Vardy...

I remember when Teddy Sheringham left at Man Utd at 35 - They wanted to keep him, but Spurs came in with a better offer and he was playing until his 40's.

I do feel that Pukki has quite a few years left in him as long as he's fit, though possibly in a slightly deeper role. 

There's nothing wrong for putting the feelers out, just to see what's out there. It's looking like he's staying and that can only be a good thing for us. 

Edited by komakino

3 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

Shhh!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

Nope.

I didn't feel it was putting feelers out. I believe by that point there were already interested parties but as the agent said, none of them had come up with serious offers. I was more like a "make a serious offer or go away" sort of message to me. Though it was worded in a way to also put pressure on Norwich to perhaps relax their valuation somewhat.

Had a serious offer come in, as in one that didn't take the juice, then no doubt it would have been contemplated to some degree. But so far as we know, and from the sound of the statements since. Clubs weren't even prepared to test the water with bids for him. Sounds a lot like the January transfer window in our first premier league season when Man Utd supposedly were interested in taking him on loan... 

He’s worth £10m of any mid table team if he replicated he’s goal tally for City last season. With a better supply he’d probably get a few more too. 

I would also tongue-in-cheek suggests he might have had more than 11 last year if he got to play against Norwich twice. 

With 11 he is ahead of Watkins, Ings, Antonio, Maupay, Richarlinson and one behind Toney who did get to play against us twice.

Edited by Ulfotto

6 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

I sort of know what you mean but remove Pukki name from it and you said

”For let’s say 7.5 million you can get a player who is his national team record goal scorer and averages a goal almost every 3 games in the premier league over two season whilst playing in comfortably the worst team in the league who is also zero maintenance off the pitch”

Surely the other 14 would take a look.

Yeah, this but SSSSSHHHHH!!! FFS!

Why not offer him two more years after this season at the reputed £50K a week, but with a sensible release clause if we don’t go up, say £4-5 million? That way he knows he’s got two more good years at money he’s unlikely to significantly better elsewhere, and an escape route if he’s not playing in the PL next year.

Move over Webber, I have this. 😉