cambridgeshire canary

*Norwich V Cambridge roasting hot match thread*

7 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Don’t mind the bricklayers certainly better since redevelopment 

also like bb bar, the George near Footie ground and Radcliffe arms 

Talking of George, my good friend Chris runs Chicken George which is a great restaurant/takeaway 

you been to see the canaries much? (Hitchin Ones) 

The coopers arms has new ownership and is good now. Chicken George is the stuff of legends. Seen Hitchin play once only. I have small children so I have little spare time for leisure 😬

I’ll be at the beer festival too hopefully.

Edited by hertfordyellow

3 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

I have small children so I have little spare time for leisure 😬

I’ll be at the beer festival too hopefully.

Only for serious drinking then? 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Was just thinking something similar, I bet I could do as good a job as that chump. I'd certainly pronounce the players' names right, at least!

Was just thinking something similar, I bet I could do as good a job as that chump. I'd certainly pronounce the players' names right, at least!

And you'd be able to fill any awkward silences with contract çonundrums. 

• Like 1

This could be a laugh... if we can find a suitable piece of NCFC video footage to commentate on. We could even have a vote on whose is best, and then submit them to the club and ask if we can take the mic for an U23s game or something...

Need to anonymise it for fairness IMHO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AJ said:

The bigger question I'm starting to ponder is is there space for Pukki and Hugill in the same starting XI? 🤔

With 5 subs, it makes total sense to have two set ups we can switch between. It makes it a bit NFL but thems the rules.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

And you'd be able to fill any awkward silences with contract çonundrums. 

I dont think Fred would suffer awkward silences.......

Good turn out last night, although not too keen on the drummers and their support crew berating fans for not singing.

We were pretty awful in the first half, not much in the way of build up and a clear plan to move the ball quickly to the midfield duo to then play long diagonals out to Rowe/Hernandez.  Needless to say that didn't work and Cambridge could easily have been 3 up at half time if it wasn't for McGovern.

Second half we were much improved, and I really want to single out Josh Sargent.  I know it is only League 1 opposition but he really did look both technically and athletically lightyears ahead of most others on the pitch.  Yes he missed a decent chance near the end, but his determination was key to the creation of all 3 of our goals.  I hope the highlights that will appear later today show enough of the build up to the third goal that you can see him covering his mistake at the back by winning the ball back to then allow Cantwell to play a great ball through to Rashica.  Gibbs also looked tidy, and Hugill seems to be determined to prove a point.

100% my MOTM was Josh, I hope he continues that form into the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

Good turn out last night, although not too keen on the drummers and their support crew berating fans for not singing.

We were pretty awful in the first half, not much in the way of build up and a clear plan to move the ball quickly to the midfield duo to then play long diagonals out to Rowe/Hernandez.  Needless to say that didn't work and Cambridge could easily have been 3 up at half time if it wasn't for McGovern.

Second half we were much improved, and I really want to single out Josh Sargent.  I know it is only League 1 opposition but he really did look both technically and athletically lightyears ahead of most others on the pitch.  Yes he missed a decent chance near the end, but his determination was key to the creation of all 3 of our goals.  I hope the highlights that will appear later today show enough of the build up to the third goal that you can see him covering his mistake at the back by winning the ball back to then allow Cantwell to play a great ball through to Rashica.  Gibbs also looked tidy, and Hugill seems to be determined to prove a point.

Yes, his tackle back couldn’t have been more than 25 years from his own goal could it? Real determination as you say 👍

26 minutes ago, astro said:

Yes, his tackle back couldn’t have been more than 25 years from his own goal could it? Real determination as you say 👍

That is a long gap. Not sure that’s what we need. 😉

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

Thats not going to endear people to support their cause. 

10 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

Half moon is one I frequent. Bricklayers down the road is my local. 

Haven't been to Hitchen since my RAF days at Henlow. One of our players played for the "other" Canaries in the past. I'm thinking Zema Abby but not sure.

42 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

That is a long gap. Not sure that’s what we need. 😉

😂😂😂 that might be the gap between him scoring…. 😂😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ncfcstar said:

Indeed! He seems to have been much loved at Werder Bremen for precisely these qualities. They mostly used him on the right of an attacking line-up too. I think he'll prove to be a match winner in this league; strong, holds the ball up well, wins headers, lots of energy, and able to drive forward with the ball. He may not have the finishing prowess of Pukki, but I'd be willing to bet he gets into double figures this season. 5 subs this season is also going to be a massive advantage for us; imagine a tired defence facing a combination of Sargent, Idah, Hugill and Pukki, if we are pushing for victory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaUnionCanary said:

Haven't been to Hitchen since my RAF days at Henlow. One of our players played for the "other" Canaries in the past. I'm thinking Zema Abby but not sure.

Quite possible that Zema played for them as he was local to them and managed arlesey for a few years (maybe still does?) owned a shoe shop in Luton 

3 hours ago, horsefly said:

Indeed! He seems to have been much loved at Werder Bremen for precisely these qualities. They mostly used him on the right of an attacking line-up too. I think he'll prove to be a match winner in this league; strong, holds the ball up well, wins headers, lots of energy, and able to drive forward with the ball. He may not have the finishing prowess of Pukki, but I'd be willing to bet he gets into double figures this season. 5 subs this season is also going to be a massive advantage for us; imagine a tired defence facing a combination of Sargent, Idah, Hugill and Pukki, if we are pushing for victory.

One thing you can say for sure about JS is that he'll put in a fine shift, he seems to enjoy running!!  I feel that once he's off the mark , he'll be very useful in the Champs, his confidence will soar and with the fans behind him , will succeed. What of course we don't know is can he then step up another level if we go up. I will give him a pass on last season, as although he was pretty dire a lot of the time , he definitely showed heart and a bit of promise. Seems like a decent kid too.

• Like 1

City beat Hitchin fairly recently prior to 2015/6 10-0, one of first Pre Season games following Play Off success.