Maltesecanary

The End Of Zimmerman

He won a lot of fans over during this first season here when we all thought he would be back up. Turned out to be really good and allegedy Arsenal were even interested.

Top bloke, top professional. I wish him all the best. Farewell Zimbo 😥

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Never right seeing one of ours in blue and white

It’s ok there aren’t any stars on that shirt.😉

2 minutes ago, Justin time said:

It’s ok there aren’t any fake made up fairy tale make belief pretend stars on that shirt.😉

Corrected for accuracy. 

6 minutes ago, chicken said:

Corrected for accuracy. 

I thought that they were genuine World Cup winners stars.🏆🤔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, astro said:

A real shame, but he is the type of person who wants to play every week, so it’s understandable 

How many other footballers would give a half-hour exit interview in their second language? Just watched the whole thing – what a wise, selfless, humble and genuine human being. Football needs more like him. Go well, big man.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Justin time said:

I thought that they were genuine World Cup winners stars.🏆🤔

Yeah, genuine Texaco give away world cup winners stars... 😂

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

How many other footballers would give a half-hour exit interview in their second language? Just watched the whole thing – what a wise, selfless, humble and genuine human being. Football needs more like him. Go well, big man.

This, honestly I felt more connected to him than many of the other players, albeit perhaps "better" in many senses. I feel he is probably one of the more indicative of the last five years. I think him and Stiepermann will both be the players I won't forget. They went from being questioned by the majority to being ever-present and central to the progress from Webber and Farke's arrival through to that first promotion and beyond.

It feels like a changing of the guard. I know we still have the likes of Pukki, Onel and McLean, but this seems to be the last piece of the heart and soul of the foundations of that Farke side. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Wish him all the best. Watching this video just made me love the guy even more. What an absolute role model to anyone in the lower leagues anywhere. With the right combination of endeavour and attitude you really can achieve anything. It's a shame we were robbed of seeing him at his best thanks to Haller, angers me so much that challenge didn't even get so much as a booking but robbed Zimbo of his better years and a crack at premier league football. I don't think his fitness would have made much difference to our survival overall, though. All the best Zimbo, and good luck back in Deutschland!

All the best Zimbo..I was pleased as punch that he came back into the team at West Ham and then bam, a GBH  tackle essentially ended his career with us. A very Timm Klose like disaster for the club. 

I've not seen this very personal video here so have posted this. I found it hard to watch at the end as Zimbo did to speak. Clearly he loves Norwich. Like the send off of Wes and the end of Tettey's career,  this tribute is every bit as moving. 

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I've not seen this very personal video here so have posted this. I found it hard to watch at the end as Zimbo did to speak. Clearly he loves Norwich. Like the send off of Wes and the end of Tettey's career,  this tribute is every bit as moving. 

The full length 30 minute interview is shared up thread. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I find it a bit sad really, he looks a bit down in the dumps, I wonder how much of it is down to his support network and friends all leaving the club, essentially the entire German contingent (the wives of whom would presumably have been friends with his Wag).

He may just be finding Norwich a much lonelier place to live since Farke and his coaching team departed?

On 19/07/2022 at 11:39, ron obvious said:

I'll never forgive Haller for wrecking his career. What an ar$ehole.

Christoph's one of my all time favourites. Lovely guy in every way. Will be so sad if he goes.

Probably bad timing to be digging out Sebastian Haller at the minute mate but take your point 

26 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The full length 30 minute interview is shared up thread. 

Yes I saw that and thanks TVB but this is a direct to camera 90 second clip (and different?)

Whatever, what a great person. And I loved hearing him say he hopes to be back. Carrow Road will erupt! 

Edited by sonyc

Absolutely love ol Zimbo, the model professional, a top bloke who genuinely loved the club, a rare thing these days amongst all these mercs stealing a living being paid heaps of money for very little in return. I hope he comes back someday and gets the proper sendoff he deserves.  This image with Godfrey, just sums him up perfectly, genuine passion for what he does. All the best big man.

zim & god.jpg

• Like 6

Perhaps it's just escaping me at the moment, but did CZ ever have a song?

Admitting that generally centre backs don't get songs, must be one of the most well-liked players not to have one (unless I am just being dull)

9 hours ago, chicken said:

This, honestly I felt more connected to him than many of the other players, albeit perhaps "better" in many senses. I feel he is probably one of the more indicative of the last five years. I think him and Stiepermann will both be the players I won't forget. They went from being questioned by the majority to being ever-present and central to the progress from Webber and Farke's arrival through to that first promotion and beyond.

It feels like a changing of the guard. I know we still have the likes of Pukki, Onel and McLean, but this seems to be the last piece of the heart and soul of the foundations of that Farke side. 

Yes, it all feels like the end of an era. We desperately need a good start this season to get rid of that feeling and help us look forward again.

Zimmo will be fine. He's smart and decent, and certain other players could learn a lot from his attitude. All the very best to him in the future.

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I find it a bit sad really, he looks a bit down in the dumps, I wonder how much of it is down to his support network and friends all leaving the club, essentially the entire German contingent (the wives of whom would presumably have been friends with his Wag).

He may just be finding Norwich a much lonelier place to live since Farke and his coaching team departed?

I wouldn't have thought loneliness would be a key issue as he has made many friends - "best" friends, as he says in his interview. As with any potential move, one looks the pros and cons, weighs them up against each other and tries to come to a decision that makes sense and as you say, with the German influence having left the club, the fact that he is not a first choice player, then things have changed sufficiently enough to make him think now is the time to move.  Unless he was going to settle permanently in Norfolk, then he was going to leave sooner or later and at 29 he has a few good years in him at a decent level so why not go for it in his home country and the opportunity to play every week.

More than anything, when well loved players who plainly love the club themselves move on, it is a wrench for them - and for Zimbo, he maybe feels that more than most, having come from a place of considering his future in the game to a place where he was playing at the very top level of football and living in a part of the world that is so appealing on so many levels.

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I wouldn't have thought loneliness would be a key issue as he has made many friends - "best" friends, as he says in his interview. As with any potential move, one looks the pros and cons, weighs them up against each other and tries to come to a decision that makes sense and as you say, with the German influence having left the club, the fact that he is not a first choice player, then things have changed sufficiently enough to make him think now is the time to move.  Unless he was going to settle permanently in Norfolk, then he was going to leave sooner or later and at 29 he has a few good years in him at a decent level so why not go for it in his home country and the opportunity to play every week.

More than anything, when well loved players who plainly love the club themselves move on, it is a wrench for them - and for Zimbo, he maybe feels that more than most, having come from a place of considering his future in the game to a place where he was playing at the very top level of football and living in a part of the world that is so appealing on so many levels.

What about his wife though, who moved over much later. Does she speak good English? 

With a young child and another one the way, and all the German wags moving on... might be more of a factor than you think. 

When Farke joined he said the German players all ate and chatted with each other and the English players had much less interested in talking and bonding with colleagues.

I have read that he had a reputation among the players for being really intelligent. His English is impeccable in the interview, with only the slight hint of a German accent separating him from a native speaker.

I watched the interview and now I want to watch the highlights of all those incredible games from the 18/19 season. Pure nostalgia. What a wonderful season that was. We'll never see its like again.

25 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What about his wife though, who moved over much later. Does she speak good English? 

With a young child and another one the way, and all the German wags moving on... might be more of a factor than you think. 

When Farke joined he said the German players all ate and chatted with each other and the English players had much less interested in talking and bonding with colleagues.

Well yes, family issues come into it of course, but you said "he" might be finding it a lonelier place.

9 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Perhaps it's just escaping me at the moment, but did CZ ever have a song?

Admitting that generally centre backs don't get songs, must be one of the most well-liked players not to have one (unless I am just being dull)

Zimbo (All My Colours) by Echo & The Bunnymen would have been the obvious choice (well in my Boomer eyes). Strange it never took off despite my prompting ......

19 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yeah, that cushion behind him in particular needs to f**k off

To be fair, looks more QPR than Ipswich.

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Well yes, family issues come into it of course, but you said "he" might be finding it a lonelier place.

Looking back to the German tour video when Krul arrived, you could see a real sense of relief in Zimbo when he spotted he’d arrived. I think he’s really missing the old crew and feeling a bit homesick. 

• Like 1

Always tried his very best for the club and fans. You can ask no more than that from a player. A model professional footballer. I wish him and his young family the very best and he will give his all for his new club.

On 19/07/2022 at 10:17, rock bus said:

Totally agree, never forget that moment when he was lying on the ground and just threw his body at the ball to get his head in the way.

Great guy

I've searched before for a video of that moment but not been able to find anything. It would make a great gif

5 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I have read that he had a reputation among the players for being really intelligent. His English is impeccable in the interview, with only the slight hint of a German accent separating him from a native speaker.

I watched the interview and now I want to watch the highlights of all those incredible games from the 18/19 season. Pure nostalgia. What a wonderful season that was. We'll never see its like again.

I've often wondered what passes for intelligence amongst footballers. I say this purely because Graeme Le Saux was nicknamed 'The Professor' by his team-mates because he had a D in A-Level PE

• Like 1