Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*Norwich vs Marseille pre season match thread*

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

To be fair, they have quite some quality... Dare I say that there won't be many Championship sides with that sort of quality. Also, Omobamidele, Gibson, McCallum - how often have they started together? And they have dealt with most issues so far.

A young back line as well, obviously Aarons has played lots of games but the 3 of them are 20,21,22 and only Aarons has really played against top sides.

Fantastic finish by Sorensen, started really brightly the whole team, playing with a good tempo and pressing well. Rashica and Todd both look tidy on the ball. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

Sam M is raw but there is potential there. Not sure his defensive side will be up to champs…

I mean, I think it depends what you mean by "up to the champs..." in that he's played there for the last two seasons and done well. Whether he is up to being 1st choice for an automatic promotion hunting team... that's another question. I suspect he will be understudy to Giannoulis though. 

Lungi, when he's not passing sideward to keep the ball, seems to have a raking long channel ball for an onrushing winger in his locker. I'm pretty sure both Aarons and Giannoulis will be looking at that and thinking "mmmmmmmmhmmm". 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

I so want Toddy to stay and play well and have a fresh start- he is quality when focusing on the footy 

Agreed. He does seem to need another player in the team who can act as a focal point though so he can skip into little spaces and do what he does best. It worked with him and Buendia for that reason, as Buendia could often be relied upon to take a second player half-away just to keep an eye on him, and it would open things up for Todd.

Got a suspicion Sargent's strength and aerial ability, and Rashica's dribbling, might do similar things.

23 minutes ago, kinggoblin said:

The boys look good in that away kit 😀

It doesn’t really give off any Norwich vibes but it’s a very nice kit.

Press very evident and we're getting some joy from it. Safe to say Championship sides won't cope with it as well as these lot are today. Things looking up.

12 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Eat my goal!

Shiiiiiiiittt, did you see that?? 😀 Cheers Pete.

I'm impressed.  The boys look good in possession and solid(ish) at the back...they'll be famous last words.

It's a little more direct than we are used to, but that's not a problem as long as it's balanced...which it seems to be.  Looking forward to next season, especially what Sara can do in this team.

2 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

Anyone have a sense of how close this is to Marseille's best/starting XI??

Not far off I dont think, Guendouzi, Caleta-Car, Gueye, Gerson, Under, Bakambu, Payet, Lopes all played the majority of their games last season 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Sam M is raw but there is potential there. Not sure his defensive side will be up to champs…

He doesn’t look a bad back up!

I have to say, it would appear that even the ref thinks it's unfair to have Cantwell skip past their players for fun as he's not really giving him much change at the moment. Just sailed past three of their players and brought down, no foul apparantly.

More of a physical test than I was expecting, everyone is standing up well so far. Krul included... what an interception there. Sure goal if not for putting the ball where he did. 

• Like 1

That’s at least three massive stops from Krul now, looks in good form.

8 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

Anyone have a sense of how close this is to Marseille's best/starting XI??

On the players, I'm unsure. But it is only their second game of pre-season so I would take it with a pinch of salt

• Like 1

Lads playing well and Sargent as striker is good.  We are more physical. Todd brilliant too. Great to see him committed this season. 

Need to see more from Raschica though