Sign in to follow this  
CaptCanary

Cambridge Utd - Tuesday

Looking forward to this one, as it's nice and local for me - but it's forecast to be 40 degrees in Cambridge with a red weather warning, and still mid to high 30s at kick off - so lot's of water breaks I imagine! Risk of postponement due to extreme heat? 🔥🔥🔥

Hopefully we take a good following. Many other posters attending?

6 minutes ago, CaptCanary said:

Looking forward to this one, as it's nice and local for me - but it's forecast to be 40 degrees in Cambridge with a red weather warning, and still mid to high 30s at kick off - so lot's of water breaks I imagine! Risk of postponement due to extreme heat? 🔥🔥🔥

Hopefully we take a good following. Many other posters attending?

Pretty sure Cambridgeshire is off to this one. 

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Pretty sure Cambridgeshire is off to this one. 

@essex canary is a season ticket holder there & a shareholder here, so guess he will be attending 

• Haha 1

I went to Cambridge v Cheltenham at the tail end of last season and had a great day out. Can't make this friendly, but would definitely recommend it to anyone in two minds... even if it's 40-odd degrees in the daytime, you'd expect it to be a lot cooler than that by kick-off time. Stay safe in the heat, everyone!

I'll be there...assuming it will go ahead.

Still being forecast at 34 degrees at k/o.

Promises to be an uncomfortable evening and dont see much meaningful football on show with regular drinks breaks

Would quite possibly be the warmest i'll have watched a game in .

Extremes that stick in my mind for me are hottest, Fulham away , 1st day of the season under Hughton...and coldest FA Cup 3rd round at home to Huddersfield Jan 1987 in winter conditions both on and off the pitch where games wouldnt get played today

Any others?

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Arsenal at home on a Wednesday Evening 93/94 was the coldest I can remember. Wasn't the inter Milan game postponed due to the undersoil heating not being turned on earlier enough ?

And yes will be at Cambridge as its local for me 

37 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I went to Cambridge v Cheltenham at the tail end of last season and had a great day out. Can't make this friendly, but would definitely recommend it to anyone in two minds... even if it's 40-odd degrees in the daytime, you'd expect it to be a lot cooler than that by kick-off time. Stay safe in the heat, everyone!

I think the experts have said that the temperatures won’t be dropping as much at night as they usually do which is the concern as there will be less respite from the heat.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Promises to be an uncomfortable evening and dont see much meaningful football on show with regular drinks breaks

Extremes that stick in my mind for me are hottest, Fulham away , 1st day of the season under Hughton...and coldest FA Cup 3rd round at home to Huddersfield Jan 1987 in winter conditions both on and off the pitch where games wouldnt get played today

Any others?

I remember a really hot away game in London, can’t remember who it was against or when, but Darel Russell had to be substituted early on, possibly in the first half, possibly it was an asthma attack but might have been exacerbated by the heat.

Having moved from Cornwall to the Norfolk side of Cambridge I shall be there with two brothers and two nephews.

Bit of a come down from Champions League Marseilles, but hey ho in preseason who cares. Maybe number 17 (allegedly) will get his first taste of EFL cloggers?

As mentioned above, the BBC weather app says it will be 34 degrees at 7.30pm. But dipping to 29 by full time.

Seeing as they're also playing in similar temperatures in Marseille tomorrow, I can't see it being called off.

27 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

As mentioned above, the BBC weather app says it will be 34 degrees at 7.30pm. But dipping to 29 by full time.

Seeing as they're also playing in similar temperatures in Marseille tomorrow, I can't see it being called off.

Good practice for Qatar world cup surely? 😛 

4 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Good practice for Qatar world cup surely? 😛 

<Sad eyes of Grant Hanley & Kenny McLean>

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Greavsy said:

@essex canary is a season ticket holder there & a shareholder here, so guess he will be attending 

Indeed. With the cost of living crisis and assuming people are into live football, why not spend a Norwich away day at the Abbey. OK Wes is gone now but still a few good reasons. A good old traditional ground albeit archaic with some improvements taking place. League One football - their highest status for 20 years. Gave it a good crack last season. Seats or standing whatever you prefer. The latter at just over 80% of the cost of the cheapest seat.

A few home clashes with Carrow Road and despite it all the Canaries come first but smaller clubs need the money more. Just look at how it was for them through the pandemic when largely they rely on the paying customer to pay a total wage bill that is broadly similar to our senior managers only. Even worse for the likes of King's Lynn. 

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If it does hit 37 if not more I would imagine there's a risk to it being called off, although they could always do 15/20 minute water breaks

That's a long water break 😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Any others?

I can remember an FA Cup replay in January in the late 80's against Birmingham. The coldest I've ever been at a football match. We equalised very late and the whole ground groaned because we had to stay for another 30 minutes 

I will be there providing the game is on as Cambridge is right in the centre of the Red Alert for Monday and Tuesday.

Lot of horse racing meetings called off on Monday and Tuesday I see.  Maybe won't be as hot as forecast as is often the case with the Amber warnings issued in winter that come to nothing. 

Last time we played Cambridge in a friendly a player got bad injury I think. Was it Pritchard?

11 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Lot of horse racing meetings called off on Monday and Tuesday I see.  Maybe won't be as hot as forecast as is often the case with the Amber warnings issued in winter that come to nothing. 

Last time we played Cambridge in a friendly a player got bad injury I think. Was it Pritchard?

nope - its red alert and this extreme weather will be happening

when the roads are melting there will not be a pre-season friendly 

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I will be there providing the game is on as Cambridge is right in the centre of the Red Alert for Monday and Tuesday.

It's not like Cambridge to be the centre of anything. 😇

• Haha 3

I'll be there with two of my sons, if it's still on.  We're looking forward to it - it's our first outing of the pre-season.  I recall a lot of unfriendly challenges last time there, so I hope we will avoid injuries.

Unsure if it will apply to the train line to Cambridge, but there is sure to be train tracks warping/buckling due to the heat. Cue someone from network rail saying with the yearly speech on why they don't have tracks that can withstand the heat.

Football wise. Wes still there?

12 minutes ago, El Convento said:

I'll be there with two of my sons, if it's still on.  We're looking forward to it - it's our first outing of the pre-season.  I recall a lot of unfriendly challenges last time there, so I hope we will avoid injuries.

Was that Farke’s first pre season?! I went to that game where Alex Pritchard got crocked. Cambridge were going in! 

3 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Unsure if it will apply to the train line to Cambridge, but there is sure to be train tracks warping/buckling due to the heat. Cue someone from network rail saying with the yearly speech on why they don't have tracks that can withstand the heat.

Football wise. Wes still there?

I don't think so - I believe he was released at the end of last season.

3 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

Was that Farke’s first pre season?! I went to that game where Alex Pritchard got crocked. Cambridge were going in! 

Yes, 2017 apparently - it feels like a couple of years ago.

10 minutes ago, El Convento said:

Yes, 2017 apparently - it feels like a couple of years ago.

and a couple of the years in that 5 year period felt like a lifetime! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Other clubs starting to cancel tuesday frindlies. No doubt we will soon follow them.

U21s mate, very different protocols for them