cambridgeshire canary

*Norwich V Kings Lynn friendly match thread*

Genuine question to anyone that went, any evidence our set pieces are getting better following the intro of a set piece coach? Probably too early to tell, but would be useful to see any tactic change over the next few Pre-Season games.

12 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Genuine question to anyone that went, any evidence our set pieces are getting better following the intro of a set piece coach? Probably too early to tell, but would be useful to see any tactic change over the next few Pre-Season games.

Sinani is great at corners, seems to be able to drop them on a sixpence. Just need the rest of the team to be ready when he swings them over.

6 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Sinani is great at corners, seems to be able to drop them on a sixpence. Just need the rest of the team to be ready when he swings them over.

Hopefully this new set-piece coach will help us in that area.

Hanley and Omobamidele should be able to chip in with goals considering their aerial ability.

Edited by Pyro Pete

22 minutes ago, astro said:

Thanks for sharing. A lot of long balls it would seem 😳

Looked like attempts at picking overlapping full-backs or wingers with the aim of sending in a variety of crosses. Not a bad idea for an opening gambit if it means opposition teams have to sit further back or are driven back. Makes particular sense considering Giannoulis and (at the moment) Aarons are our primary full-backs, as both men are very quick.

Rashica seems to like a floated cross aimed at a tall lad to attack. Giannoulis seems to like a low raking first-time skidder driven in for someone to snaffle and shoot first time. We haven't done much of that in a long time.

Just now, Pyro Pete said:

Hanley and Omobamidele should be able to chip in with goals considering their aerial ability.

Last night Sinani was looking for Omo beyond the back post to knock back into the danger zone, but Omo wasn't really up to speed (no surprise as 1st game in 8 months) so didn't manage the knock back. My fear is that all the other Chumps teams will now be alerted to this, or is it that this is just a cover for new tactics in the real season?! 🤔 

1 hour ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Cantwell took one against SSV and hit it well to far post and we scored. Not the usual not past the first defender.

On 12/07/2022 at 20:29, Greavsy said:

@essex canary (& son) was booked to do a 1/2 time presentation on the pitfalls of being a shareholder in a football club, but then they realised he only had 15 minutes...........................

How long does it take to say 'Letsbee Avenue'?

On 12/07/2022 at 20:39, Greavsy said:

Dont want to criticise the commentator for what is a free offering from the club, so ill just say how good is Chris Goreham on BBC radio Norfolk! (just not tonight) We are indeed duly blessed. 

I didn't realise this was available to stream until about the 70th minute and I spent most of the 20 minutes I watched trying to work out who was playing as hardly any  players got mentioned!  Todd and McGovern were an obvious spot and I think the only other players that the commentator referred to by name were Sam McCallum, Josh Sargent and Jordan Hugill.  After that it was largely squinting at the screen and guesswork!!!!!

8 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

I think it’s defending set pieces that takes priority based on how many we concede from them. But agree, having a threat in attacking ones would be nice 

21 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Last night Sinani was looking for Omo beyond the back post to knock back into the danger zone, but Omo wasn't really up to speed (no surprise as 1st game in 8 months) so didn't manage the knock back. My fear is that all the other Chumps teams will now be alerted to this, or is it that this is just a cover for new tactics in the real season?! 🤔 

Noticed this too, second time round Andy was really angry with himself so clearly a move that had been going a lot better in training.

I think that's the trouble with set piece coaching, you can practise the same routine 20 times in a row and perfect it, thinking all is good... But in a live game you only get that one shot.

Sometimes you're best to keep it simple... Or make the training less intense and more deliberately random - i.e. in training if the set piece coach could just yell "Corner" and players drop what they're doing, get into position and carry one out without any tutorage or feedback, but the coach notes it down and brings it into the next set piece session.