Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Forest really splashing the cash

9 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Can't believe they've bought 16 players! Didn't fulham try and full squad makeover for the Premiership and it didn't work

I feel sorry for the players who got them promoted and may not now get a look in. They're certainly showing they want to stay in EPL!

Maybe we should be looking at one or two of them

1 minute ago, WD40 said:

Maybe we should be looking at one or two of them

That's my thinking. Surely they must have some who could strengthen our team

26 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

That's my thinking. Surely they must have some who could strengthen our team

Most of them were on loan, I think.

Forest had a whole season's worth of luck against a pretty dreadful Wet Spam team. Their home form will be critical to them staying up.

2 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

And there's more...

Morgan Gibbs-White: Nottingham Forest agree £25m deal plus add-ons for Wolves midfielder

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62594961

That is madness for a midfielder who hardly got a game at Wolves and was sent on loan twice to the Championship. Just shows how difficult it is for us to compete when we go up as Wolves have got 25 million for one of their reserves.

16 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Forest had a whole season's worth of luck against a pretty dreadful Wet Spam team. Their home form will be critical to them staying up.

But they showed with the F.A Cup run, that it will be very intimating going to the City Ground.

Crazy amount to spend I knew there owner had money but even so it's a big spend, good manager as well but he'll certainly be under pressure if he don't get results

I'm surprised Newcastle haven't spent more tbh.

I wonder if Steve Cooper knows his best XI yet? He probably can't even remember the names of all his squad. A penny for his thoughts really. I wonder if he really wanted this?

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think they have a fairly decent squad for what they want to achieve this year anyway, 

They've strengthened in goal and defence, it would take a special striker to displace Wilson(still can't believe we got grabban instead of him) I think the only place they would benefit from more recruits is in the middle of the park. 

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I wonder if Steve Cooper knows his best XI yet? He probably can't even remember the names of all his squad. A penny for his thoughts really. I wonder if he really wanted this?

He’s probably thinking wonder how long I’ve got till I’m the one replaced.

23 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Cooper is a very good coach, and he has shown that he can get groups firing with little time to prepare.

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It may have taken a good half an hour, but that's a fascinating read.

As its my line of work, I'm going to keeping an eye on this story and will post any updates

Ownership wealth which is sufficient to give the premier league a go on the one hand but with the financial capability to manage relegation if the worst happens. Hopefully, one day we’ll have  a similar level of new investment.

5 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

Can't believe they've bought 16 players! Didn't fulham try and full squad makeover for the Premiership and it didn't work

I feel sorry for the players who got them promoted and may not now get a look in. They're certainly showing they want to stay in EPL!

According to transfermarkt they were up to 21 incomings a couple of days ago!

3 hours ago, Highland Canary said:

Ownership wealth which is sufficient to give the premier league a go on the one hand but with the financial capability to manage relegation if the worst happens. Hopefully, one day we’ll have  a similar level of new investment.

I think the important part is once you get relegated, will the owner be willing to absorb any losses in the short term hoping that you get promoted again. Forest are, for the most part, signing young-ish players so if they do go down they would hope to move some on for good money, and the ones who stay should be excellent championship players. Their owner has already taken on some of the debt in the last few years, I suspect with all this outlay he's gambling on them staying up and him being able to recoup his investments over the next few seasons.

On 18/08/2022 at 20:37, If wed kept Howie.. said:

As its my line of work, I'm going to keeping an eye on this story and will post any updates

Drug smuggling??? 😉

• Haha 1

On 18/08/2022 at 20:44, Highland Canary said:

I missed this from our resident optimist... If the owner is paying for it then he has sunk close to a quarter of his official wealth into this transfer window, I would suggest that he doesn't have the financial capability to manage relegation if they don't survive and he is betting the farm on them staying up (which is a view my forest supporting mate shares)... I also think their most important signing is actually dean Henderson, which is only a loan and as sheff utd find out, not easy to replace if they do stay up.

To be honest, whilst it frustrating they are chucking around the cash, I've no great issue with them staying up.. especially if it could be at the expense of an Everton or West Ham. Always amusing to see a side who think they are untouchable to relegation take the plunge! 

Bournemouth, Everton and West Ham coming down would be extremely enjoyable, especially the latter who got virtually a free stadium.

27 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

I missed this from our resident optimist... If the owner is paying for it then he has sunk close to a quarter of his official wealth into this transfer window, I would suggest that he doesn't have the financial capability to manage relegation if they don't survive and he is betting the farm on them staying up (which is a view my forest supporting mate shares)... I also think their most important signing is actually dean Henderson, which is only a loan and as sheff utd find out, not easy to replace if they do stay up.

Theyre spending the premier league money and the parachute payments eill cover wages if they go down according to the nottingham local press

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Haus said:

Theyre spending the premier league money and the parachute payments eill cover wages if they go down according to the nottingham local press

But what will pay for their wages this year if they are spending all of the premier League money up front? It's **** or bust from them and I hope it all goes wrong just to discourage others trying it and making the premier League even more of a poisoned league...

12 minutes ago, Haus said:

Don't Lingard's wages alone make up nearly 20% of any parachute payment?

This is actually insane. The money they're spending is 1.5 times premier league revenue,, which they'll inevitably lose a lot of the value on upon relegation, be tied into expensive contracts on for more years if they don't sell, and possibly not even have parachute payments to help out if the big clubs get their way. 

Good on them for getting off to a good start, but God help them if they don't keep it up for more than a season or two.